Heard you like parties

lynx

There are multiple options for the inventory and other screens, sure. I find them annoying, but perhaps that will change. If you add a scrollbar or buttons (less positioning/room hassle), you're still limited to movement between the closest 6 members. An improvement from before, but not perfect. The automatic drag scrolling would probably be ok, even with the ocassional misscroll, however the technicalities behind it make me wonder if it would be viable to impletement at all.

That's why I just added the ctrl-e party order reverser. Nice and simple, good enough for now.

Could you implement a party/"group" inventory ? Aka something like this:

inventory.jpg

The picture is supposed to be from the BG1's original GUI sketches, or whatever...

Um, this is BRILLIANT! Thank you!!!! Once you get a demo of this working, this will revitalize the entire experience of playing the BGT, which is the only way it should be played right now =D

To understand the current state of play, though, the main things that remain are 1) going through and checking all the scripts so they work with six characters, 2) setting up scrollbars and drag-and-drop for the new portraits, and... What else exactly? Ideally this could be incorporated into WeiDU so it works with WeiDU mods, though, right? Like, how does it work with non-vanilla content?

Again, very impressive work - thank you thank you thank you!!

I've been busy with RL work, but this will pick up again now that I had to downsize myself. :(

The script and dialog masher is written in perl. The dialog one isn't finished yet, since it has some uglier grammar to deal with, but it has already undergone a rewrite (unfinished — uncommitted). The weidu shell is almost complete too, so for windows users the most problematic thing will be installing perl (not that it's hard) beforehand.

I don't think I'll bother with any scrollbars though, the swapping hotkey should be enough for starters.

So the actual steps are: finish the dialog extender, finish the weidu shell, test. BG1 itself is so simplistic that it already works if you do the (de)compilation manually.

I'm starting a test playthrough with monk/sorcerer, wisdom xp mod, iwd2-style output, stoneskin autocast before rest, spell list sorting and the normal mods: G3 Fixpack, DBG, Haldamir, Tashia, Saradas and Kivan.

/.../

So far so good — only unrelated bugs (to be dealt with before the next release) and a cosmetic one in a cutscene. Cleared slavers, Trademeet, De'Arnise and now about to enter the shadow temple ruins. Positioning can be hard in small spaces and longer range weapons come in handy. Still, would be very annoying without jumping. Inventory management is not that much of a chore.

post-2635-0-51203400-1433100736_thumb.jpg

More people means less xp per person, but this is offset by using the wisdom bonus to xp mod. So Minsc and the other dummies receive less xp than usual, while wisecracks like Viconia get almost a quarter more. And since you don't get everyone at the start, npclevel.2da is also in play, increasing diversity. We're still at lower levels, so the wisdom differences are not showing that much yet. Anyway, difficulty-wise, nothing special so far, but we'll see how it goes with mummies, dragons and worse.

Edited by lynx

This is absolutely fantastic - thank you!! =)

I'm considering a starting a new game with it, but was wondering whether about compatibility with other mods. If installed last, should larger party sizes just work with with more or less everything?

In general, yes. Can't tell without trying. All the differences in the affected scripts are saved (diffs folder), so it's also easy to verify the changes before playing — if you can read iescript.

Extra testing is always welcome, I think I'm still the only one playing right now. About to sail for Brynnlaw, not much changed since the last description. You'll need the git gemrb version though.

Yes. While it would be easy to add the scripting objects with tobex, 6 as max party size is hardcoded in many places that would need to be pinpointed and fixed, plus the whole gui is also in the engine ... So I doubt it will ever appear anywhere else, unless ees copy it.

For bg2 it's not as exciting as I thought, but bg1 should shine with all those wide open spaces and greater effective penalty for larger parties.

What's "full"? BG2 is finishable, all its side quests should be too, most mods work as expected, but of course, there are and may be some extra bugs. Not considering the new goodies, I think the general feel would be "needs polishing" at certain places. Mostly it's due to poor understanding of how the originals worked — they had complex, silly and buggy engines afterall.

40 is a nightmare, trust me.

What's "full"? BG2 is finishable, all its side quests should be too, most mods work as expected, but of course, there are and may be some extra bugs. Not considering the new goodies, I think the general feel would be "needs polishing" at certain places. Mostly it's due to poor understanding of how the originals worked — they had complex, silly and buggy engines afterall.

40 is a nightmare, trust me.

40 would require some changes obviously and xp gain would be much slower. However, it's the best way to play the entire BGT saga with a lot of the new NPCs. Obviously some adjustment to how close each party member has to be at the exit would be required. GUI adjustments obviously. Adding more prison cells or something to handle additional prisoners in Irenicus's dungeon would be needed and probably other things too.

Thanks for your efforts with this and testing it!