Game Crash...

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

First of all I am running Baldur's Gate II SOA + TOB with the latest official patch, and just using Fixpack Version 6. (With basically all the features on).

With the 'Planar Prison' quest for Haer'Dalis, I found that when I used the 'Web spell' as well as ('Kitthix' web spell) on 'Master of Thralls' when he is about to die. (The animation of his body hitting the ground when you kill him). My game simply crashes. This is right in front of the friendly 'Thrall' who talks to you straight after when the 'Master of Thralls' dies.

(I'm not sure if the friendly 'Thrall' got caught in the web as well).

I tested using web on him multiple times when he's about to die and my game simply crashes again.

I have found using the 'Web spell', can cause trolls to become immortal when their supposed to fall on the ground when you knock them out. Can't move until the spell effect wheres off... (This also applies to 'Kitthix' web spell).

With 'Yoshimo', I have found that he simply seems to loose just 2 hit points off his maximum all the time. No matter what equipment I use it seems, and what level he is on.

I think this occurs while my game is being saved and then when I am entering a new area I THINK... I don't quite know when and how this happens. But if I leave the 'Ring of Regeneration' on, this effect doesn't happen with him loosing 2 hit points off his maximum... (Or so I don't notice that happening so fast).

The paralysis effect of Web prevents Trolls from running their scripts, which also prevents them from turning into their knocked down, killable-by-damage versions. There's no easy fix for that (and it may unfortunately be a bug we can't fix without introducing worse bugs).

I'll look into the other problems you've mentioned. The Warden crashing on death is probably a corrupt animation (and a local issue). Does the problem with Yoshimo persist if he has no equipment at all?

Guest Guest
The paralysis effect of Web prevents Trolls from running their scripts, which also prevents them from turning into their knocked down, killable-by-damage versions. There's no easy fix for that (and it may unfortunately be a bug we can't fix without introducing worse bugs).

I'll look into the other problems you've mentioned. The Warden crashing on death is probably a corrupt animation (and a local issue). Does the problem with Yoshimo persist if he has no equipment at all?

I have tracked down the problem I'm having with Yoshimo and it is caused when having the 'Pale Green Louse Stone' equipped on him. (Sorry for the confusion early)

I doesn't happen to just him alone. Who ever has this item equipped will loose 2 hit points off their new maximum amount of hit point increase from the item. (Grant's +10% hit point increase). So when ever you save your game and go to load back the same file, they will loose 2 hit points based on the hit point increase calculation of their new maximum amount of hit points increase from the item. (Have to be fully healed before hand for the first part of this bug to take place).

(If they have already lost hit points before hand, this doesn't apply until restored to their new maximum hit point increase).

Example:-

My Party!!!

1st Character has 69 hit points standard. (Mage Type) With 'Pale Green Louse Stone' equipped. (Grant's +10% hit point increase) My character now has 75 hit points and loses after save and load, 2 hit points. 73 hit points out of 75 due to the items effect of course. (The item doesn't state this to happen of course).

I have found there is a conflict, (I think?) with other items that increase your hit points in conjunction with this item being equipped as well. ('Pale Green Louse Stone')

If I take items off the character that increase their hit points as well and put them back on... I gain even more hit points correctly.

2nd Character... (Anomen) Base hit points are currently 102. When I put the 'Plate of Balduran +2' on for example, he gains the +4 hit point increase totalling to 106 as expected. But when I put on the ('Pale Green Louse Stone') after that, his hit point increase will be increase only to 112. If I take the armour off and put it back on while I have that stone on, his hit points will be increased to 116.

Finally again; when I save and load my game fully healed by following the procedure to raise his hit points to 112. He will not only loose 2 hit points, but 4 hit points and his current hit points will be increased to 116 automatically, leaving him with 112 hit points where as he was fully healed before with currently 112 hit points following this procedure.

Guest Guest

I've been fighting 'Beholders' in the quest of 'The Cult of the Unseeing Eye'. ('Beholder' lair).

I used the item 'Staff of Air +2', the charges of the specialized version of the sleep spell effect in combination with the 'Greater Malison' spell, but the thing is that. Whenever one of the 'Beholders' or 'Gauth' fall unconscious. They are some times still able to attack with their long range attack even though they are on the floor laying flat. Is this supposed to happen?

Also I cast the wizard’s version of the spell 'Domination' on the beholder and was able to take control of the beholder as it seemed so. The change in allegiance cursor changing from red to green. (This happened while it just came out of the special sleep effect off the staff). I wasn't able to control the beholder at all even though it showed I could by the coloured green cursor. Why is that?

Also I found that with the 'enemy cultists’ on this level while under the effect of that special sleep spell effect, they were still able to have their contingency spells e.g. spring into action, but I guess that is expected even while unconscious. (They couldn't attack of course while under the sleep effect)

(I not sure if there are even more enemies that might be susceptible to this spell while still being able to attack).

The contingency one is working as intended. That's how the contingency spells are supposed to work. The rest seem to be issues with the scripting. Someone more knowledgeable would have better luck troubleshooting them.

Also, what is this "special sleep spell" you keep on referring to?

Extended effect #2 of STAF15, Staff of Air +2, I'd imagine.

"Sleep Cloud

Range: 40 feet

Duration: 3 rounds"

Which looks to be doing exactly the same thing as the mage Sleep spell, on inspection.

It's the stinking cloud sleep. The staff of air is the worst of the three since either its sleep cloud or its summoning doesn't recharge (the other two elemental staves recharge). Undoubtedly why our guest is the only person to use it. Ever. ;-)

Beholders can shoot their rays (all just ReallyForceSpell() calls) through a surprising number of supposedly disabling effects. 'Cause they're cool. Same with contingencies (all ReallyForceSpell() or ApplySpell()) for every spellcaster in the game.

No idea about the charm.

Percentage bonuses to HP have always worked that way. There's not really anything we can do.

Guest Guest

Some minor or irrelevant facts...

During the 'The Cult of the Unseeing Eye' quest there was I believe a slight spelling typo during the event when you first see a man trying to be initiated into their clan which results in his death...

During Jahiera's romance/ quest when you get to the part where you have to fight Galvary and his followers. Meronia seems to disappear (Note: She doesn’t take a ‘Invisibility’ potion) just before everyone starts fighting on his side, resulting in you having to defeat only Galvary and 3 of his followers where it should have been 5 in total including him self and Meronia and the rest of his followers.

In the Government District prison where the woman is held captive in her cell, if you open the door and try to close it again, I find you can't seem to close the door properly. (I haven't been able to close this door again)

Slight graphical glitch at the Temple District, bottom left corner of the map. (Water glitch with building)

With Korgan's Quest about the retrieval of the 'Book of Kaza', isn't 'Shagbag' him self supposed to drop the book, not one of his followers instead?

I found with Haer'Dalis when you obtain him. (He was on level 11 when I decided to take him, levelling up to 12). From the start when you obtain him, he doesn't completely have all his spells completely memorized for some reason, only a selected few that is selected for memorization. (The that are supposed to be I guess fully memorized have already been used up some how before hand)

With Keldorn's Quest about his family, after wards during the quest you find he says to his wife that he is going to resign from working for the order and stay at home with his wife and kids. I don't get why if you let him stay for one day with his wife at least and then go back to him after wards; if you kick him out again, he wants’ to go back to the order to help them out. (This doesn't make sense to me)

Really he should just go back to his home instead... (Of course you can tell him to do so your self, but the dialogue relating to the order still appears)

Drop this in your override if you don't like how the Pale Green Ioun Stone is working in your game (Fixpack makes no changes to this item, so it's safe to delete afterwards if you change your mind). I agree the way it works is irritating, but there's no evidence of a bug here.

Beholders "work" almost entirely off of their scripts, which target only PCs and PC summons - there's nothing for them to do if charmed, and they don't actually "know" any eyestalk spells - their scripts and abilities would need to be rebuilt from ground up to work under Domination. Not that I've reimplemented them myself. Nope.

/edit

Hee, you'd need to unrar it also - I keep forgetting most file extensions are verboten.

During Jahiera's romance/ quest when you get to the part where you have to fight Galvary and his followers. Meronia seems to disappear (Note: She doesn’t take a ‘Invisibility’ potion) just before everyone starts fighting on his side, resulting in you having to defeat only Galvary and 3 of his followers where it should have been 5 in total including him self and Meronia and the rest of his followers.
Meronia isn't one of the traitors (she's supposed to disappear).

In the Government District prison where the woman is held captive in her cell, if you open the door and try to close it again, I find you can't seem to close the door properly. (I haven't been able to close this door again)
Would likely be a WED issue. Nothing really to be done about it.

Slight graphical glitch at the Temple District, bottom left corner of the map. (Water glitch with building)
Nothing at all we could do about something like this.

With Korgan's Quest about the retrieval of the 'Book of Kaza', isn't 'Shagbag' him self supposed to drop the book, not one of his followers instead?
Doesn't Crazyface or the cleric actually have it? I can't remember, but it does eventually end up with the party, so I don't think there's really anything we should do.

With Keldorn's Quest about his family, after wards during the quest you find he says to his wife that he is going to resign from working for the order and stay at home with his wife and kids. I don't get why if you let him stay for one day with his wife at least and then go back to him after wards; if you kick him out again, he wants’ to go back to the order to help them out. (This doesn't make sense to me)
The scripting for his plot is so brutally involved that Nythrun will have to work through it. :) In general, he kinda always shows up (even if you "release" him supposedly permanently), just never where you expect.

Valygar also does a bit of that in a couple places.

Guest Guest
The Warden crashing on death is probably a corrupt animation (and a local issue).

During the 'Planar Sphere Quest' when you gain access to a part of 'Hell' to obtain a demon's heart for the Planar Sphere. When ever I kill one of those demons, not by just using the spell 'Web', it's effect. I still some times have that problem with just that type of enemy dying and causing my game to crash. (During the death animation)

(Note: Can happen so far with only that type of creature, though having said that I didn't encounter this when killing that kind of demon during, 'The Sightless Eye Quest' when you have to use the spell cure light wounds to kill that demon).

Is this more of a corrupt installation issue on my part?

During the 'Mage' stronghold quest where you have to send the Solamnic Knights back home by following the means of going to the adventurer's mart and talking to 'Ribald'; there to request that a mage to take care of them. If you come back after 24 hrs of course by that time you would of activated the second part of the deal with the 'Cowled Wizards', the errands you have to do for them.

"16 hours after getting the Sphere (give or take), Teos will appear in the Sphere with three apprentices for you to train, Morul, Larz and Nara".

After the scene with the Cowled Wizards and instructing your apprentices on what to do. In my game it automatically changed to the scene where the mage appears to take these knights home. It was all done while I had just finished talking to these students. The scene took place in the unrevealed fog or out of sight view of my party. I couldn’t see what was going on, only dialogue was appearing. I did still obtain the item they gave me of course.

I also have found during multiple quests where people leave the room their after as they are supposed to, they attempt to leave of just disappear out of share confusing of knocking into an obstacle in the room e.g. Walking out through the wrong exits in the room or through the wall supposably.

Quest Break!

During Chapter 3 doing ‘Bodhi's Quests’ for her, where you get to the part of having to choose to do a noble quest or a not so noble quest e.g. If you do the noble quest where you have to save ‘Palern Flynn’. If you enter the shadow thieves guild by the back entrance that I know of that this bug is triggered. (Top floor of the shadow thieves guild where the hostage is you have to rescue) If you take all the shadow thieves out quickly, just the plain standard thieves, not their spell caster guarding ‘Palern Flynn’ and take them out without being seen by ‘Palern Flynn’. (His line of sight of view I guess) Then go to take out finally their spell caster. If you go to talk to ‘Palern Flynn’ he says, "Palern Flynn - has nothing to say to you". Even if you leave the room and come back it again to speak to him, he say's the say thing.

(Note: I can easily reproduce this bug. But the only way I could complete this part of the quest, is by having one of my party members at least; straight away fight their spell caster while the other thieves are still alive so ‘Palern Flynn’ can see me fighting for him I guess).

Also, if you have previously looted the 1st floor of the shadow thieves guild before hand, (Before they become hostile due to you siding with ‘Bodhi’) where you have to disarm the trap on the red table in there. You won't be able to disarm that trap for some reason. Even if having a high disarming trap rate I believe, by means of taking potions to increase this rate e.g. If you go to let the trap go off on the table before hand by accessing the table, the trap won't go off for some reason.

Reports of crashes from death animations trickle in now and then, and always from tanar'ri, death knights, or wyverns (all of them BG1 style five-orientation animations). We can try distributing copies of these animations with the Fixpack, but I don't know if it'll actually help or not - it's a crash I've never had. Anyway, if you'd like to guinea pig, we can upload them for you.

The scene took place in the unrevealed fog or out of sight view of my party. I couldn’t see what was going on, only dialogue was appearing. I did still obtain the item they gave me of course.
We'll fix this.

Are you certain you killed all seven guards in the games where Palern Flynn wouldn't talk?

Guest Guest
Are you certain you killed all seven guards in the games where Palern Flynn wouldn't talk?

Yes I'm quite positive! I made sure none of them escaped every time even when moral failure occurred for them e.g.

I used the chain lightning spell to take them out quickly/ physical attacks e.g. With out being seen or should I say, being able to see 'Palern Flynn’ in my line of sight of view of the screen before I decided to advance on their spell caster where obliviously I would be able to see him in my screen due to the shroud or fog e.g.

More problems...

With my Wild Mage who has 18 Intelligence. With the characters level 2 spell page of the mage spell book. The spell called 'Know Alignment' has by description when you go to view what the spell does, has been changed to display the level 4 spell called 'Minor Globe of Invulnerability's' description. I have no idea how this has happened. The spell functions as normal, being the function of the spell 'Know Alignment', just the description has changed for some reason. Just to straighten out one fact though, I have learnt both of the spells. On the level 4 page with the spell 'Minor Globe of Invulnerability', it seems to function as normal, being viewed, description and graphic.

Note: If I just view the level 2 spell 'Know Alignment' by cursor/ name, its displays as normal. No change in spell graphic as well!

(Note: I've forced my mage to learn more spells per page than what can be learnt from having just 18 Intelligence by using the 'Potion of Genius' e.g.)

I have another question concerning the quest for the 'Mage Stronghold'. If you get to the stage where you can make all your apprentices work on the 'Staff of Power'. When they die and if you got the staff, (Random Chance) and after Teos speaks with you; how long are you supposed to wait to be contacted by the 'Cowled Wizards again to continue on with this quest. (I was outside of the 'Planar Sphere'). Are you supposed to wait 2 days or 1 week? (For me it was 1 week). My point is, I read a 'GameFAQs' walkthrough, not necessarily full proof information of course, but they say it's supposed to take only 2 days to be contacted again. Is it right for this to take a whole week for this to occur or is it supposed to be only 2 days.

Just before you go to start Chapter 4 and go to Spellhold. When I was in Jan's house in Athkatla, I decided to remove Yoshimo out of my party and I told him to meet me in the Copper Coronet as normal. But when I got back, Yoshimo wasn't there to be seen. Is this supposed to happen to go with the story? (Yoshimo betraying you e.g.)

(Note: I just killed Aran Linvail in my game working for Bodhi).

For the special quest, 'The Limited Wish Adventure', are you supposed to not gain any experience at all if you kill Grae the Troll Shaman e.g? Also there is a spelling mistake I come to believe, with accepting this quest from 'Vittorio'.

Reports of crashes from death animations trickle in now and then, and always from tanar'ri, death knights, or wyverns (all of them BG1 style five-orientation animations). We can try distributing copies of these animations with the Fixpack, but I don't know if it'll actually help or not - it's a crash I've never had.

I've had two or three experiences with tanar'ri crashes on my current playthrough.

Archived