Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

Yeah, Fireball has always been normal fire. I don't think Magic Cold or Magic Fire get used in the vanilla game, as both cause crashes if they do killing damage. Protection from Fire's behaviour is another stock behaviour. All I do there is copy the spell, change the copy's type to wizard, maybe change the level a bit, and remove the Sphere line from the description.

I can see that the 15% xp penalty is meaningless in a solo game. In a full party game it is pretty harsh.

Please post any reports/thoughts you have on the kit. I realize that it may end up being slightly overpowered, but given the major source of the kit (Druidic Sorcerer) this is partly intentional. Still, I'd like to hear people's thoughts on what they find overpowered and the kit in general.

Guest Guest_adam_*
Yeah, Fireball has always been normal fire. I don't think Magic Cold or Magic Fire get used in the vanilla game, as both cause crashes if they do killing damage. Protection from Fire's behaviour is another stock behaviour. All I do there is copy the spell, change the copy's type to wizard, maybe change the level a bit, and remove the Sphere line from the description.

I can see that the 15% xp penalty is meaningless in a solo game. In a full party game it is pretty harsh.

Please post any reports/thoughts you have on the kit. I realize that it may end up being slightly overpowered, but given the major source of the kit (Druidic Sorcerer) this is partly intentional. Still, I'd like to hear people's thoughts on what they find overpowered and the kit in general.

What portrait do you guys use for your Geomancers? I'm looking for something that matches the concept.

Very fun mod. Is there any way to use this with anyone other than the main character? I'd love to turn Kelsey into a Geomantic Sorcerer. He meets all the requirements, but the tome doesn't do anything when he or a multiplayer created NPC uses the tome (it disappears in a puff of smoke without the ability changes).

Guest Karzon

I appreciate the idea, but it's non-bioware NPCs (which that mod can't change either) I'm interested in. If I knew more about modding, I'd try to figure out how to change that myself, if it's even physically possible. ;)

I appreciate the idea, but it's non-bioware NPCs (which that mod can't change either)
It's not that it can't, it just doesn't presently. As for the why, read the question "Q: What about NPCs added by mods? Keto wants to be a skald!" here. Some low-level hackery with the mod's .tp2 file would probably accomplish it, or you could do it manually with an editor. But if Nythrun doesn't support it, I'm not going to step on her much-coveted-and-ethereally-massaged (by Azazello, Bursk, et al.) feet by telling you how to do it (and frankly, I can't really be arsed atm to figure it out and maybe couldn't if I tried, since Nythrun's code isn't exactly code for simple orcs to comprehend).

Edit: In an effort to get this back on track though, if the kit change is done via a tome, can't the tome be generalised to work on any PC/NPC who meets the kit requirements?

Edited by Miloch

I find it hilarious that someone actually made this. The character I always wanted to play was someone who mixed druid/mage powers into one single class but I assumed that short of getting into modding myself, it would never happen.

As it is, it's an almost flawless match to what I wanted so obviously I'm pretty pleased :D I'm playing it through BGT, currently just starting Cloakwood so I can't comment on it fully yet, but the HLAs look great on paper and you've done the impossible and implemented shapeshifting in a way which I DON'T hate. I always played druids wanting to be in human/demihuman form for spellcasting and combat and leave the shapeshifting for other means: stealth/scouting, flying, etc. so I'm loving the prospect of using those "other means" provided for the geomantic sorcerer. 3rd edition's focus on wildshape and 4th edition's "druids are shapeshifters that have a couple of spells" are awful.

However, it leaves me to beg something else...what about giving some druid love too? :D Even just adding/adapting some of those druid-focused HLAs, shapeshifts and spells from the Geomantic Sorcerer (plus bow use :borg:) would be a nice bumper for what I find to be a really weak class.

Thanks for the cool kit :(

[Oh and a Shadow Druid mod adding a stronghold in Cloakwood in BGT/tutu and the Druid Grove in BG2, making Faldorn a joinable NPC and continuing your harassment of Trademeet and returning it back to Nature! Yeah ok now THAT'S never going to happen :party:]

Even just adding/adapting some of those druid-focused HLAs, shapeshifts and spells from the Geomantic Sorcerer (plus bow use :() would be a nice bumper for what I find to be a really weak class.
Probably not a bad idea. You might check out the "Natural Selection" stuff in Wounded Lion's Morrow Gate too.
Oh and a Shadow Druid mod adding a stronghold in Cloakwood in BGT/tutu
A "stronghold"? They're druids, they have a tree-house :D. BG1 NPC does add more druids and a quest though.

I'm glad you enjoyed the kit. As many will notice the Geomantic Sorcerer borrows heavily from the older and very buggy Druidic Sorcerer Kit. This is mostly an attempt to recreate that kit without bugs, as I had always wanted to try playing it.

That isn't to say I won't do other kits/modding in the future, but I wouldn't hold your breath for any major bouts of kit modding in the near future :(

Even just adding/adapting some of those druid-focused HLAs, shapeshifts and spells from the Geomantic Sorcerer (plus bow use :D) would be a nice bumper for what I find to be a really weak class.
Probably not a bad idea. You might check out the "Natural Selection" stuff in Wounded Lion's Morrow Gate too.

Natural Selection's been on my modlist for a while, I wouldn't play a game without it, however I didn't realise it'd been added into a larger mod...guess I need to pay more attention. My BGT is so modded that I won't risk adding it this time :D And thanks for the reply Caedwyr :(

Edited by Morthond