Full uninstall -- effect still bugged?

hey guys,

quick question:

I uninstalled all the mods on my BG2EE, then deleted the folder in steamapps/common. Clean folder, nothing left.

Then I re-installed using steam... no mod, vanilla EE install, and my effects are bugged?

20180306013704_1.jpg

This is supposed to be Spell Deflection, but it's like the big white swirls are just... missing.

I had spell revisions, SCS, many big mods installed but, isn't a re-install like this supposed to get rid of everything?

I restarted my PC to no avail

Yes, as you can see this happens in Irenicus Dungeon :)

I used the premade generic "Mage" character

Also, I backed-up my previous, fully-modded folder to somewhere else on my PC, can this cause problems? It's not in program files, it's just in D:\

But the game I'm booting is the vanilla one on Steam.

Yes, as you can see this happens in Irenicus Dungeon :)

I used the premade generic "Mage" character

Also, I backed-up my previous, fully-modded folder to somewhere else on my PC, can this cause problems? It's not in program files, it's just in D:\

But the game I'm booting is the vanilla one on Steam.

Look into engine.lua in your new game directory. Does it still point to the same folder in yourdocuments/user/.... that the former installation used? In this case, the new game reads settings from the moved old game.

You can rename the existing folder of the old game to something else or you change the entry in engine.lua to create a new configuration folder for the new game.

At least this is how I handle multiple installs but I am not an expert for those things and do not know if such manipulations work on everybody's computer.

The only content in the new engine.lua is

engine_name = "Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition"
engine_mode = 1 -- 0 = BGEE, 1 = BG2EE, 2 = IWDEE
I changed the folder's name in "Documents" to something else, when I opened the game the resolution was different, and it created a new folder (different saves)
However, the spell deflection graphics were still bugged :(
edit: Oh, I understand now, the "engine_name" is the actual name of the folder! Really useful if you want to have your saves not shared between different mods! Thanks for that :D
But anyway, even launching my new vanilla game on a new vanilla documents folder (0 saves present) still doesn't work. This is so weird!
Even the hard-coded animation in the vanilla file is wrong:

weird.jpg

It's supposed to look like this (from an old non-EE install I have):

weird2.jpg

Edited by Daxtreme

wow, really?

Today I learned! Haven't played vanilla BG2EE in a while

Couldn't they find something a little bit more apparent though?

Spell Deflection (and Trap) are very important spells to know that the enemy has active!

Well thanks!

I'm pretty sure the circling smoke is Deflection, and the gross spaghetti globe is Trap (and the elegant underfoot circle is Turning.

Doesn't SR eliminate Turning and only use Deflection? In that case I would use the underfoot circle for Deflection and the circling smoke fof Trap.

(Unless those visuals are hard-coded. I dunno.)

They are hard-coded, and spell deflection and spell trap use the same effect (SPMAGGLO.BAM)

Unfortunately, nowhere in their .SPL file can you change that, they will always point to SPMAGGLO.bam

However, I think you can overwrite SPMAGGLO.bam as an empty effect and THEN assign a new effect to Spell Deflection and Spell Trap. That should work.

I just didn't know vanilla EE replaced the original one! That's a surprise

Edited by Daxtreme

They are hard-coded, and spell deflection and spell trap use the same effect (SPMAGGLO.BAM)

Unfortunately, nowhere in their .SPL file can you change that, they will always point to SPMAGGLO.bam

However, I think you can overwrite SPMAGGLO.bam as an empty effect and THEN assign a new effect to Spell Deflection and Spell Trap. That should work.

I just didn't know vanilla EE replaced the original one! That's a surprise

This would be a good way of doing it, in case you want to, say, distinguish between Deflection and Trap in particular. I've never had any issue with effects of Trap/Deflection/Turning/Immunity, myself. But since the circling smoke is white, it's very easy to change its color by changing its color balance using BAM Editor utility of NearInfinity. The red or yellow version looks pretty cool, actually. So you don't need to look for a totally new effect just for this issue.