Missing vanilla spells after modding

Greetings! After a clean installation of GOG BGEE 2.3.67.3 + Sod(modmerged) i manually installed the latest 1) Unfinished business for bg1, 2) Spell revisions, 3) Iwdification, 4)More style for mages and 5) Tweaks Anthology, in that order.

After testing with a new SOD toon , i noticed that my mage was missing some vaniilla spells like Bindness, deafness and more. Same thing with BG2EE,(same mods with bg2's UB) i was missing spells like Wyvern Call, Summon Djinni/Efreet and others that i don't remember. I guess they were overwritten by the spell mods due to incorrect installation order?

I can live with dupicate dispel magic/expeditious retreats and the occasinal wrong text ( vampiric touch innate is named "Moving Crates" -lol- ) but being a spell junkie i would appreciate any suggestions on that matter. Thanks!

SR changes some spells. Blindness becomes Fog Cloud (note, both centered around reducing enemies' vision), Deafness becomes Sound Burst (AoE deafness plus AoE damage, what's not to like?), Knock becomes Battering Ram (Knock us damage, what's not to like), Wyvern Call becomes Monster Summoning 6 (which IIRC summons... wyverns), etc. You haven't lost the vanilla spells, they were simply changed to slightly different, better spells.

The duplicates are because SR also adds some spells which IWDification also adds. Sunscorch, maybe Faerie Fire, a few others. There's not much to do about it unless you want to tinker with the mods pre-install, or you use the Faiths & Powers sphere system which handles the issue (on the divine side, anyway).

SR changes some spells. Blindness becomes Fog Cloud (note, both centered around reducing enemies' vision), Deafness becomes Sound Burst (AoE deafness plus AoE damage, what's not to like?), Knock becomes Battering Ram (Knock us damage, what's not to like), Wyvern Call becomes Monster Summoning 6 (which IIRC summons... wyverns), etc. You haven't lost the vanilla spells, they were simply changed to slightly different, better spells.

The duplicates are because SR also adds ...

Wyvern call is replaced with Summon Monster... hah, see the game had BOTH spells on the same level. One for Clerics and one for Druids. And it was not 6, but IV(which is 4 in roman numerals), this comes from SR adding more SM spells that now start from level 1 instead of spell level 3.

Here's a try for you. Explain what happened to the "Protection from Petrification" spell ? The spell that was originally a level 2 in BG1, but the BG2 had to level it down to be a level 1 spell. So what the h3ll happened to it ?

The duplicates are because SR also adds some spells which IWDification also adds. Sunscorch, maybe Faerie Fire, a few others. There's not much to do about it unless you want to tinker with the mods pre-install, or you use the Faiths & Powers sphere system which handles the issue (on the divine side, anyway).

So you can't make a fuction in weidu that doesn't duplicate the "same spells", by overwriting the existing resourse assigned to it ? And neither of the mods gave in and so we have incompatible mod within the same cathegory... never heard of that in moding community, worse is that these two are featured in the same site. Co-operation, what the hell is thaT ? Yeah, lets add another mod that doesn't actually fix the issue, but combines it with a woirse result, as we get clerics that don't have healing spells and protection and attack spells, in the same levels the vanilla game had, cause balls(technically spheres)!

So you can't make a fuction in weidu that doesn't duplicate the "same spells", by overwriting the existing resourse assigned to it ? And neither of the mods gave in and so we have incompatible mod within the same cathegory... never heard of that in moding community, worse is that these two are featured in the same site. Co-operation, what the hell is thaT ? Yeah, lets add another mod that doesn't actually fix the issue, but combines it with a woirse result, as we get clerics that don't have healing spells and protection and attack spells, in the same levels the vanilla game had, cause balls(technically spheres)!

We've had a solution for a while now, it's just that SR hasn't updated to use ADD_SPELL yet. IWDification will happily skip or replace existing spells (depending on how you set your preferences) when they've been added with proper IDS entries.

Pro Petrification is one of the spells that changed. It was an entirely stupid spell that had no pirpose aside from metagaming to trivialize a single challenging area of the game. That was an example of shitty design on Bioware's part.

In SR it becomes Expeditious Retreat, which 1) is a tactically interesting canonical low-level spell; 2) is also defensive in nature; and 3) has far broader utility.

People wondering how to go about fighting basilisks can consider:
- waiting til you are higher level before going after enemies who are supposed to be insanely dangerous
- using various spells, scrolls, potions etc. to improve your saving throws before attacking basilisks (treat SR basilisks in BG1 the way people treat SCS beholders in BG2)
- having someone hang back with a couple castings of Break Enchantment (vanilla Remove Curse)... it cures petrification, so you can afford to have a few party members petrified in each basilisk fight.

EDIT - incidentally, if you install SR and then Tome & Blood's "Invisibility Tweaks" then this spells is changed again, from Expeditious Retreat to "Chameleon," which gives you the benefits of Improved Invisibility without Invisibility - i.e. 4-point bonus to AC and saves and cannot be targeted by spells. Should probably prevent targeting by gaze attacks as well. (But the effect ends if you attack anyone so the spell is still purely defense.)

Edited by subtledoctor

We've had a solution for a while now...

I am not sure I get what you mean with the "we"...

Cause, is it going to take "us" to supply SR that code with. Cause it looks like you are in a better position for this and other things to happen. Just stating the obvious. Seeing that Mike & kreso haven't had the inclination.

Yes, the previous remark of not being able to make such code/function was part of self aware irony... cause I could solve such things myself when it comes to modmaking, but this is a little broader.. and so more involving that just skipping a few bad parts of mods...

Not just /* text */ .

Pro Petrification is one of the spells that changed. It was an entirely stupid spell that had no pirpose aside from metagaming to trivialize a single challenging area of the game.

Waht about protecting player & NPC romances ?

That was an example of shitty design on Bioware's part.

Right, says the publisher of ...what exactly ? Bioware game mods. Must feel ... I don't know waht to tell you.

In SR it becomes Expeditious Retreat, which...

1) is a tactically interesting canonical low-level spell; 2) is also defensive in nature; and 3) has far broader utility.

And I am quite sure the spell called "Armor" or "Shield" have all of these 3 features. But I am not inclined to tell that those are better spell on THIS situation.

Also can you tell that the "Break Enchantment" also fixes the possible BG1 romances the player might be running at the time they get their romanced NPC turned to stone, as having the player char get that fate, ends the game.

Waht about protecting player & NPC romances ?

Also can you tell that the "Break Enchantment" also fixes the possible BG1 romances the player might be running at the time they get their romanced NPC turned to stone, as having the player char get that fate, ends the game.

Basilisk petrification doesn't break such things with SR installed (certainly not if you cast Break Enchantment on the petrified NPC within a reasonable amount of time). So yes: you don't need Pro Petrification to avoid such problems.

We've had a solution for a while now...

I am not sure I get what you mean with the "we"...

Cause, is it going to take "us" to supply SR that code with. Cause it looks like you are in a better position for this and other things to happen. Just stating the obvious. Seeing that Mike & kreso haven't had the inclination.

Yes, the previous remark of not being able to make such code/function was part of self aware irony... cause I could solve such things myself when it comes to modmaking, but this is a little broader.. and so more involving that just skipping a few bad parts of mods...

Not just /* text */ .

You were asking for a "WeiDU function" that could resolve this. I pointed out that we have had a native WeiDU command, ADD_SPELL, since June 2006 that does exactly what you're asking for.

Basilisk petrification doesn't break such things with SR installed ...

Sure about that ? How about try and install the SR first and then BGT(-weidu) after.

Now, if we talk about Basilisks permanent stun(from SR), then we can agree, but not with Petrification. As one is vanilla and mod added thing, while the other is mod edited thing, that gets invalid the moment the first gets its foot back in the game.

You were asking for a "WeiDU function" that could resolve this. I pointed out that we have had a native WeiDU command, ADD_SPELL, since June 2006 that does exactly what you're asking for.

No. Not so much. I asked you to show/give kreso a valid code he could use in the mod, for a spell of example ... cause I sure the hell can't, cause this is not as simple as COPY ~.spl~ ~override~ like it's in SR todays. Cause there's also the other facts like dependency to all the other .spl files, resistances, protections, ...

Let's take an example:

COPY ~spell_rev\sppr1##\sppr105.spl~     ~override~  // Entangle
  SAY NAME1 @9     SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC @10
COPY ~spell_rev\sppr1##\dventang.eff~     ~override~
COPY ~spell_rev\shared\spentaai.bam~      ~override~  // IWD's Entangle Animation
COPY ~spell_rev\shared\spentaci.bam~      ~override~

Besides, the DS and projectiles: That's the whole code there is of the one file, the file is premade today probably within Near Infinity to include the other references like resistances, .pro references etc. It can be done this way cause the variables in that are known. But you are talking about possibly changing vartiables on the flip of a coin, because the game in/excludes a single edit to a table.

Yes, I understand that's a lot to ask.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

But the mod that makes Petrification more easily curable is the same mod that removes the Pro Petrification dpell... I mean, it's almost like the modder actually thought thrpugh the consequences of the change before publishing the mod...!

And yes, if you use a stupid install order you might get stupid problems. This is not news.

As for ADD_SPELL, it us actually not a solution for SR. SR avoids ADD_SPELL on purpose a lot of the time, because scripts in SCS expect Expeditious Retreat to be WIZARD_PROTECTION_FROM_PETRIFICATION - not a newly added WIZARD_EXPEDITIOUS_RETREAT. Realistically, the solution to spell duplication between SR and IWDification must probably involve adding SR-specific compatibility code to IWDification. Like, just wrapping the duplicate spells inside a

ACTION_IF NOT FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~dvsrv4here.mrk~ BEGIN
conditional clauses.