Your favorite IWD2NPC is.../NPC you miss....

Domi

Your favorite IWD2NPC is...  

122 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

(Hug) Hey, don't sulk. He's still there, got a bunch of content, his epilogues are romantic content sensitive, and hey, it could just be fun for you to show Mal the ugly underside of love when the time comes. :( I mean, he *does* squeal, you know, if you heat it with Diriel.

Awww, thank you, Domi:). But I do not hate Jaemal. He is a nice guy, just not really my type. And there will be no showing, I guess, as I am romancing Rizdaer anyway...

Every time someone says 'Diriel's Romance', a pixie dies

Now, I just *had to* dig this link out...^^' Fae=Pixie XD

Absolutely. IWD2 needs alternative paths through the game. Even a token element of choice a-la BG2 will serve it well, but a good solid divergence is even better(...)

Indeed. It is really tiring the way it is now - go here, kill all the goblins, go there, kill all the orks, go there, kill all the orcs&goblins...

For a *roleplay* lovers such as I that is not the best game ever^^'

I'm starting my third play-through now, in a short amount of time, and yep, it is tough. Though I have to say that BG2 is even tougher on me, actually. The pseudo choice in BG2 always annoyed me. I love IWD2 story, it's set up, and of course game-play, and I had a blast replaying it twice, but the third time is growing difficult, particulary in the early chapters. Thoiiugh I like the nice touch of equipping from the dead goblins, and some of the early dialogues are great. But the things like "Return to Ice Temple" after a smashingly good sequence in the Dragon's Eye, or 'scour this map till you find every last goblin' are a future turn-off. BG1 is the one that is the easiest to replay for me, I find. Anyway, if you have the suggestions etc, you can always drop by the Chimera thread:

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=7787

I'm not signing up for anything, but I feel that the push and the interest should come from the player-audience to bestirr the modders to see what a god-awsome untapped gift we have in IWD2.

Guest Tempest

I think Peony just stole my character's heart. I just had the "guiding light" scene in Fell Wood. Been a long time since I've just wanted to reach into a game and give a character a hug. Wonderful writing.

To interject another male voice: my favourite character by far is Salomeya. Yeah, she's horrible. Yeah, she doesn't care about anyone or anything. Yeah, she spents half her waking hours insulting people. But whenever she talks, I just can't stop laughing. Even when she's being very insulting to my PC. (masochist much?) Plus, it's one of the greatest voice sets ever. Helps a lot.

For the rest, Valeero and Prachi get a bit on my nerves... too serious, too... spiritual. (evil word.) I like Jaemal a lot more than I thought I would, I like Rizdaer as much as I thought I would. Nord's good, Hildury isn't very interesting by herself but is a good sidekick for Nord, and I haven't tested the others yet.

I voted to add another cleric - which I believe is in the pipeline anyways - as I hate playing them.

Favourite character, well it hasn't changed from the outset, it's the "Safana" of IWD2 - Salomeya.

I also really like Peony, she made travelling with Rizdaer much more fun, and Diriel, a truly unique character, who added a great deal in terms of role playing.

Yeah, the clerics are pretty much what we got, but I thought that at least the evil rogue request can be kind of addressed if I say start the priestess of Talos with a level of a rogue and a level of a priestess. Same goes for the Battleguard of Tempus, he can have a level in barbarian (I think that was the dwarven favored class?) to make him infinetly tankable.

Same goes for the Battleguard of Tempus, he can have a level in barbarian (I think that was the dwarven favored class?) to make him infinetly tankable.

It would be fighter for dwarf (barbarian if he was half-orc or ghostwise halfling), however in this case I recommend that you don't bother with that extra level, because as long a he has the right stat distribution he won't really need it.

I had planned to romance Rizdaer, but took Jaemal and Salomeya into the party to see some conflicts. From what I had read in the character profiles, I didn't find Jaemal appealing at all - the more special a character's race and background are, the less I like them, because such characters are often far too improbable to me. Rizdaer is not Joe Blow, either but Jaemal? "Slave? Aasimar? Eunuch??! No way I'll romance this freak!"

Well, that was before I first heard his adorable voice; to me, his soundset is the best in the whole mod. After reading the first few banters and lovetalks, I liked him more and more and before I even realised it, I was hopelessly ensorcelled... ;)

The turn of events within the game made me very happy, because I hadn't dared to hope that this would happen (although I still don't understand it entirely). What upsets me, deeply so, is the epilogue. I wish I hadn't read it. ;) (Or you hadn't written it.)

What happens to Jaemal is something I've read in Martin, and that is...

SPOILER:

...when boys are castrated by removing their testies, sometimes they retreat, because the subject is in pain and scared. Over time, in those cases, the man restores his potency, and aparently there were historical cases of concubines impregnated in harems by such 'eunuchs'.

END SPOILER

Ah, Jaemal's epilogue ;) Well, it depends on what you've said and done, but basically, the happiest outcome is if you agreed to marry him on the bridge, and your romance was commited and tender. It becomes progressively worse from there. I think in many ways it is a happy ending for him, because he finally purges himself of every trace of slavery that was deeply imbeded in him. But overoll, characters like Jaemal defy the happy endings, and ask for bitter-sweet ones, which I hope that one was. Unless you got a wrong one (hey, we are testing!).

Epilogue spoilers

Yes, Jaemal's best possible ending makes sense, because he does what he says he's going to do in "the big talk," but I can't help feeling cheated by his ending. If ever there was a character that deserved to end his days in peace and prosperity, it's Jaemal. Even the most devoted servants of a cause pass the torch to someone else, the next generation. Some of them even get to enjoy a quiet retirement, at peace even with themselves, and just fade away into blissful obscurity. That's the kind of end I wish Jaemal could have had: a former slave, a fighter for a cause, a hero, and then, at the end of his days, just a man, living with his beloved and their family, and only once in a while hearing tales of <CHARNAME> and Jaemal, and all they accomplished.

Edit: but I'm a sucker for happy endings.

SPOILER

Even the most devoted servants of a cause pass the torch to someone else, the next generation.

But the ones that the folk memory remember the most are the ones that died for their convictions. Young, full of potential. I felt that this fitted Jaemal the best. But I am a sucker for martired heroes ever since I was a ten and adored certain five men who hang for their convictions and their attempt to free the slaves ;)

Spoilers!

That is interesting. ;) Before I got to this lovetalk, I thought that they had not only sterilised Jaemal, but unmanned him totally *cough*, but I then figured out that this couldn't be true. ;)

What you just told me here was more or less what I thought after I had read the explanation Jaemal gave me; while this is incredible enough (incredible in a good way!), what I couldn't imagine was something else: Didn't he notice in all those years? Or was he too insecure and self-conscious or something to realise what was going on, always thinking "it won't work anyway"?

Anyway, I was really pleased by this outcome! ;)

I didn't get the talk on the bridge, I'm afraid. I read about it afterwards, when I browsed the alpha 20 thread and had a look at it in the .d files. I'm not quite sure where and when it is supposed to happen, if there was something wrong with the game, the mod, my install or if I made a mistake. Where and when exactly is it supposed to happen?

Also, forgot to ask in the first post, but if you are romancing Jaemal, could you let me know, if you are seeing a dialogue on the bridge in Chapter 6 after defeating the half-dragons delegation in th aerie?

This was the first time I played IWD2, so I'm not yet familiar with it. I used a walkthrough and it said that immediately after the fight on top of the wartower (this is the fight you meant in the quote above, right?), if you enter the tower again, you will be teleported to the final fight. This is exactly what happened to me.

I couldn't enter the bridge; and Jaemal didn't say anything on top of the tower. The only talks I got in chapter six were the one with the books, I think, and the LT where he told me about his plans for the future. I was waiting for something else, but appart from some gorgeous dungeon flirts, I got nothing. If I remember correctly, Jaemal turned to me several times throughout the entire game saying one of his voiced standard lines, but without actually opening a dialogue box.

The relationship was committed and tender, but I thought I had made the wrong choice when I said I would go with him. My epilogue was certainly the one that was supposed to appear. I read his other epilogues as well, hoping there would be a real happy ending somewhere, alas... Well, it is certainly bitter, but I don't know about the sweet. I had so hoped he would be lucky from then on, because the poor thing had had to endure so much beforehand. :D

I would have liked to see something like Berelinde describes: A happy couple leading a happy life. Or at least a normal couple leading a normal life. If anyone deserves it, it's him. It makes me upset that the people in my party I wanted to see happy end up unhappy (Jaemal, Rizdaer) and the ones I'd rather have "punished" (Salomeya, Diriel) more or less get what they want. :)

Archived