*Spoiler* Diriel and co.

MissBehave

* Warning.. Wall of text, nonobjective whine and bitch fest.

Okay so I was going to wait till I actually finish the game, because I may be eating my words later. I should start by saying I'm immensely grateful for this mod because otherwise I would have never even made it out of the prologue. I'm not a hack and slash player. As it is I've just finished the goblin fortress. And I'm enjoying all the dialogue, Nord is a paladin I can actually like, I want to hug Hildury and Jamael on a regular basis, I've smiled, wanted to reach through the screen to slap people BUT... there's always a but, isn't there. I'm kind of disappointed with the romance choices. Jamael is sweet, no doubt. But he's not exactly the manly type and this is not a poke at him being an eunuch. What's worse, even if I let my inner nurturer run free and romance the poor lad, I hear he's got a sad ending. I'm not good at tragic! Next up, Diriel. Elven druid, okay, also not oozing testosterone, but that's okay. Except that he's evil! And not, I've had a tragic past and I'd like to be good but I'm broken. No, actually evil. As in drop the Invisibility Potion 5 seconds after he gave me his word not to interfere with me saving the villagers EVIL. And I didn't even get to yell at him (why didn't I get to yell at him??! I mean even if we presume I don't care about human lives, he disobeyed a direct order and I may have had my reasons). Now I'd love to think that you get to change his view on humanity somewhere along the way but I have a feeling we're not even going to get there because he's found my answers and actions too neutral to actually officially start the romance (I have flirt options with the other two), though he hasn't turned her down yet either. We'll see what happens in the next chapter. I'm hoping it turns out his parents were slaughtered by humans. But as of right now, this seems to be an 'evil PCs only need apply, or you'll want to suffocate him in his sleep'. Moving on. Rizdaer. Ah yes. Well I'm undecided here. Another elf (*le sigh*) but he's got that tortured soul thing going for him. And the lurking danger. And I like that you can treat him like a human being (ha!) and he is responding to that. I liked the bedroll/kiss/hair scene. He SEEMS to be evil because he's Drow, not because he's evil. Nature versus nurture and all. But we'll see. I have a bad feeling Domi has a nasty surprise in store for me here too. I mean, I'm not asking for five children and a white picket fence. But can't a girl have a happy ending that doesn't include slaughtering the masses?

*** End whine and bitch fest. Now I'll go play some more and see if my spidey senses were right or if I'll be pleasantly surprised. :)

Total and absolute proof that people are different. :) If you don't like tragic surprises and aren't madly in love with Diriel, go for Rizdaer. He's evil, but it's more like "all drow are evil, so I'm supposed to be evil" guy. He's okay, like a selfish mercenary who's way too used to strong women, but you sort of get it out of him... I think. Don't expect your background family to like him much, though.

(Me, I think Diriel is the best romance Domi's ever written. I even have the feeling she's written it for me specifically. But I'm a Bender/Death Note/Quirrell/Sheldon fan).

Yeah, that's where I was leaning. I really wanted to like Diriel. I hear many gals like Diriel. Maybe he'll grow on me... like a fungus. Or maybe not. I might have to try this again with a different mindset. Actually role play instead of playing myself haha.

It's hard to know what folks will or will not like. Maybe NPCs do have a bit too much of their own agenda, but I was coming to it as a different game than BG and NWN2 where PC was strongly dominant character with a huge charge of super-unusual. I felt for IWD, PC was more like first among equals (if that, because you could create multiple characters), the PC who is not a fate-changer and can literally save anyone from dying or make everything right. Diriel will not bend to the PC, neither will Salomeya. Rizdaer and Jaemal will both change some based on the PC choices. If a character dies, and love doesn't - is it that bad of an ending? IIRC, if you played a small race, you could have a normal life kindda romantic ending if you drew out his few flirts (I am not sure atm). But, one of the purposes of saturating the module with the dialogue was that the PC did not have to romance to experience relationships. Friendships, rivalries, jealousies and paired NPCs relationships were all an attempted part of the package. In a way, if I still remember correctly, I did not expect people to create a PC to pull out a particular string out of the mod stories, but to create a PC, pick the crew and see what happened. I could not please every player's romantic aspirations, but I could try to provide dialogue even when those aspirations were not met.

And, yep, Kulyok, you were on my mind when writing Diriel, of course. :)

May I cut in? *waves* I'm just starting the second playthrough with a different party, so I can get to know all the NPCs better - and I can only say I really enjoy the diversity of the characters. OK, maybe not all of them are likeable, but definitely interesting! As for the romances... What attracts me to them is the very fact that they are not as mainstream as in many other games, where we get yet another knight in a shining armour (and maybe a nasty rogue, if we really want to have a choice). And I think going for Rizdaer could be a good choice for you, MissBehave ;) He seems evil alright, but he really needs a hug. A big hug. Even if he doesn't admit it. And he's fun to interact with. Hells, I would have gone for him myself, if I hadn't fallen head over heels with a certain elf I thought I'd kill with fire. But his time I'll give him that hug. I think. Unless Jaemal takes me by surprise. I still have to take a better look at him, but I have a little crush on his voice, which is always a good start ;)

Domi, it's impossible to please everyone, but your characters are never boring, that's for sure. And bless you for your irresistible elves :>

I got to the point in chapter 3 where I have to chose. Ugh. So early! But I don't want to choose... Only two choices though, because Diriel's option to talk in private disappeared all of a sudden. Must have said something he didn't like. I just can't fake it. :p Think I'm gonna keep a save here just before 'the talk' and try both romances. On recommendation of all you lovely ladies, we'll try Rizdaer first. Though telling Jaemal I don't love him is just a little heart wrenching. Much like kicking a puppy.

Archived