Photo

Changing/Adding New Race

3 replies to this topic

#1 jmaeq

jmaeq
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:47 PM

I recall reading somewhere that changing or adding a new race into Baldur's Gate would be very difficult, and that if someone were to do it, they should only edit the name of an existing race. I attempted to change the race of an NPC using DLTCEP to a non-standard race (not human, elf, half-elf, etc.), but when I start up the game, the listed race is blank. I want to reuse the template for the Half-Elf race and rename it, but I am unsure how I am able to do that.

If anyone knows how to create a "new" race, please let me know!

Currently in Progress: Sazshatha, The Beaurin Legacy

*Profile Portrait Artist: CK0T can be found here: https://ck0t.deviantart.com/

#2 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp

• Modders
  • 6308 posts
  • Location:The town where the dead haven't keeled over, yet. In Finland.

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:03 PM

Sub-race mod.

Most what you wrote is wrong, as one can do a lot of stuff with scripting like this mods does, but aaa-hhmm.

Anyways, the definition of a race in the game is not that much different than an items flag that says it can only be used two handed... it has minimal effect on everything else except that one thing. And then there's the dialog strings that need to be re-written to reflect the new status of the race... that can reveal the 4th wall and make it obvious if not changed.

Welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand.
Here's how to install all the ... mods you ever really could want to Infinity Engine games. I removed the stable word from there as Roxanne began to add BS mods that are likely to break compatibility from the BWS.

#3 jmaeq

jmaeq
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 07:28 AM

Thank you for your informative response! :)

I will definitely be playing around with the scripting of that mod.

Edited by jmaeq, 23 November 2017 - 07:29 AM.

Currently in Progress: Sazshatha, The Beaurin Legacy

*Profile Portrait Artist: CK0T can be found here: https://ck0t.deviantart.com/

#4 Avenger

Avenger
  • Modders
  • 3731 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 07:51 AM

None of the engines support a truly new race (except GemRB).

EE allows you to have a custom race's name displayed on the character sheet if you edit racetext.2da (still can't use the character generator for it).

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users