Bard Kits

jester

Originally posted by Koson in another thread:

RIDDLEMASTER: This bard uses odd, confusing riddles to infuriate and dazzle opponents. As a riddlemaster gains experience, he or she learns more powerful riddles in the same manner that a traditional bard learns songs.

Advantages:

3rd level: The Infuriating Dilemma: This riddle is so annoying to the target that he or she goes berserk for five rounds. It is useable 3/day.

5th level: King's Logic: The riddlemaster presents a logic puzzle so fascinating that the target is stunned for five rounds. It is useable 3/day.

7th level: Gram's Paradox: Gram's Paradox: All enemy creatures within 20' of the riddlemaster are confused for five rounds. It is useable 1/day.

9th level: Foolproof: The riddlemaster is immune to all confusion, fear, and berserk effects.

11th level: Conundrum: The target of this incredibly difficult riddle is subjected to a Feeblemind spell. It is useable 3/day.

Disadvantages:

All deaf/silenced creatures, elementals, undead, animals, and constructs are immune to the riddlemaster's riddles. Creatures with Intelligence under 5 or over 19 are immune to the riddles as well. All creatures receive a saving throw vs. spell against the effects.

No bard song; riddles would likely be innates.

Do they have saves against them and can the effects be dispelled? I like the idea very much especially the immunities bit.  :)  More power to bards

Is this going to be another fighter kit that acts as a bard or a true bard, since all my fighter slots are already taken and I think this may be true for a lot of people.

hopefully there will be special dialog options with improved tashia mod installed...

pc: that one's easy, its a baloney sandwich!

tashia: darn, this will teach me to match wits with a riddlemaster!!!  or shall i call you the riddler, for short???

pc: Holy jumping Peanelian, Tashia, please don't stop, you know how much i love riddles....

:)  :D  :D

Well, one I would like is the Meistersinger (from the Player's Guide to Bards, Second Edition).  Obviously the traits would need to be changed for the BG II engine:

Meistersingers wander the woodlands, mountains, and deserts, seeking out those who will listen to their songs.  Unlike other bards, Meistersingers rarely perform for humankind.  They tailor their music to the tunes of nature.  Their audiences are the birds, the bees, and the behomeths.

Weapon Proficiencies:

Forbidden:  harpon, lances, mancatcher, polearms, and trident.

As a hunter and woodsman, a Meistersinger must maintain a variety of weapons.  At first level, a Meistersinger must select one melee and one missile.  Each additional weapon proficiency slot must be spent in the following reptitive sequence:  hurled, melee, missile.

(Obviously, I wouldn't worry about the proficiencies too much in BG II).

Special Benefits:

Song of Companionship:

At 1st, 5th, and 10th levels, a Meistersinger can Play the Song of Companionship.  Basically, it works the same as a familiar.  1st level would be a small animal, the 5th would be small or medium, and 10th level would be Medium or Large.  If the Companion is slain, the Meistersinger must roll a successful shock check or die.

Song of Sanction:  

This song envelops the Meistersinger, creating a nearly magical barrier of good will around him.  Any attacking animal or monster must roll a saving throw vs. paralyzation with a -1 penalty per three levels of the Meistersinger or ignore the Meistersinger and those within one foot per level of the Meistersinger.  The effects of the song is ended if the Meistersinger or if anyone in the protected area attacks.

Animal Charm:

(Much like the spell charm animal).

Special Hindrances:

Do not gain followers, nor build strongholds.

Hmm, on second thought, maybe not so good for BG II for implementation.

That is what it is actually.  In fact, part of the history I didn't put up from the book mentioned lost children being raised by druids, etc.

Pied Piper of Hamelin?  As stated, this would have to be tweaked of course for BG II, but I do think it would be a neat twist.

Another idea they had was a Gallant...think of a poet-paladin.

How about this for implementing the Meistersinger?

Advantages:

- May cast Charm Person or Mammal once per day per 5 levels of the caster (starts at 1st level with one use).

- May cast the 4th level druid spell Animal Summoning I once per day.

- May cast the 5th level druid spell Animal Summoning II once per day.

- May cast the 6th level druid spell Animal Summoning III once per day.

- Special Bard Song: Song of Sanction. This song envelops the Meistersinger, creating a nearly magical barrier of good will around him.  Anyone attacking the bard must roll a saving throw vs. paralyzation with a -1 penalty per three levels of the Meistersinger or ignore the Meistersinger and those within one foot per level of the Meistersinger.  The effects of the song is ended if the Meistersinger or if anyone in the protected area attacks. I guess this would basicaly work similar to the first level clerical spell Sanctuary.

Disadvantages:

- Only has one-half normal Lore value.

- Only has one-half Pick Pockets percentage.

I'd dropped the "Bard Song does not become better with levels" because, even though Song of Sanction is nice, it's not that powerful / useful after all, while an improved Bard Song would be (this assuming Song of Sanction is the only Bard Song they get, like the Jester's confusing one). However, balancing might still be required.

Another proposal, out of NWN:

Arcane Archer.

Race: Must be half-elf.

Advantages:

- +1 to hit and +1 to damage with arrows for every 5 levels of experience.

- Can specialize in bow.

- May imbue his arrows once per day per 5 levels. The arrows he shoots for the next 24 seconds inflict an extra 1d6 points of piercing damage and 4d6 points of fire damage. A saving throw vs. spell limits  fire damage to half. This is similar to the Flame Arrow spell on top of his arrows

- May fire an Arrow of Death once per day per 10 levels. Unless the creature struck saves vs. spell at -2, death occurs. A creature successfully saving still receives 2d8 +1 points of damage.This is similar to the Finger of Death spell

Disadvantages:

- Pick Pockets ability one-quarter normal.

- Bard Song does not become better with levels.

About the Meistersinger: how about having an Improved Song of Sanction add the ability to regenerate 3 points of damage per round in combat only (similar in this aspect to the War Chant of Sith from IWD), with a regular Song of Sanction working as an area-effect Sanctuary which can be saved against every round by enemies? It would give you some breathing time during a battle for healing/buffing, provided the enemies don't save against it and keep attacking you (it would be enough for one to save and keep attacking - as your party defends itself the Sanctuary-effect is cancelled). Of course, this is keeping the Song of Sanction the only Bard Song available to a Meistersinger. I don't know however how easy would be to implement this.

Archived