Question to three-layer journal entries for EE games v2.x

jastey

For 2.x versions of the BG(II):EE the journal is organized in three layers. ADD_JOURNAL still works, of course, but it only covers the main title and the full description (lowest level) of the journal entries, afaik. Which leaves the journal entries with "no objective text" written as the middle level text.

How do I specify the middle level description text? I saw a cool function of Argent77 somewhere but I don't remember where, and I don't know whether it's the current state of the art or whether there is a new WeiDU function reflecting this etc. Any help is appreciated.

I'm pretty sure it automatically splits the string into title, objective and description, based on the double-line separation. I.e. you just write

@123 = ~Title

Objective

Description~

...Unless the question was related to something else, that is.

I'm pretty sure it automatically splits the string into title, objective and description, based on the double-line separation. I.e. you just write

@123 = ~Title

Objective

Description~

...Unless the question was related to something else, that is.

I am not sure I fully understand this.

I have my journal entries

@123 = ~Title

Description~

The first entry of whatever Title appears in the journal with

Title - Day Year (inserted automatically) - Description

Any following entry made for the same Title appears under the Title headline but with this "no objective text" instead of the Day Year being inserted.

Do I need to put something additionally into the journal texts

@123 = ~Title

Objective (What to put here?) e.g. <DAYANDMONTH> ?

Description~

And what about the case where the entries under one title may appear in a random sequence depending on how a player priogresses (for quests that are not necessarily linear?)

Objective text is for the journal update pop-ups on the main screen. They show title and the next paragraph, so without brief summary aka objective "I need to go there and do this" you'd get instead the potentially very lengthy main body description that won't fit into the window.

#56379 = ~Important Events
I must find Korlasz and deal with her.
I must seek out the wizard Korlasz, last of my half-brother Sarevok's followers, and deliver her to justice. Imoen will follow behind me, protected by the Flaming Fist. A Flaming Fist healer is available to tend to my wounds, and she can instruct me on fighting undead if I require help.~

The old style strings without objective line are obviously still fine, just less optimized for the new UI.

The old style strings without objective line are obviously still fine, just less optimized for the new UI.

The missing of that second line causes the *ugly*

journal entries with "no objective text" written as the middle level text.

from the first post.

So it is either that or fill the gap.

Thank you for explaining.

I noticed there is a difference for BG:EE and BGII:EE in how the three-layer journal entry levels are shown.

Attachment 1 (left): BG:EE, v. 2.3.67.3. The description text is the second layer, the date the third.

Attachment 2 (right): BGII:EE v. 2.3.67.3. The description text is moved into the third layer, the second is only the date.

I prefer the BG:EE variant, as it saves me one additional click for every journal entry if I want to read the text. (Actually, I think the BGII:EE one is a nuisance.)

But why is it different, anyway? I thought the engines are updated to the same standard?

Is this something that should be posted as a feature request, or does anyone know what BeamDog is planning for the journal system (I think I'd like to have the PST:EE one for BG(II):EE, if I've seen it correctly and have a choice)?

post-256-0-58235200-1495043329_thumb.jpg

post-256-0-55135500-1495043344_thumb.jpg

Archived