some bugs

Ishad Nha

Here I will be doing a slow, thorough progress through Irenicus' dungeon. Idea is to see how the average BG2 player will experience GemRB. I have Unfinished Business installed and I will be using Level 1 NPCs, apart from that no mods will be installed.

First problem: Multiplayer does not work!

I can't Connect to load previous multiplayer save games.

I then tried to PreGenerate Character. This worked well until I tried to choose Male gender, when I hit the Done button the game froze totally. I looked at the command prompt and this is part of what I saw:

[GUIScript]: Runtime Error:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "./GUIScripts/bg2\GUICG1.py", line 104, in NextPress

GemRB.SetPlayerStat (MyChar, IE_SEX, Gender)

RuntimeError: Actor not found!

Single Player, protagonist could be created normally. Then game started alright and he got killed by Jon in the initial cutscene and the game then froze totally. I can temporarily stop the damage coming from JI and see if game then runs properly.

In the original BG2 the game works properly, cut-scene ends and everyone is freed. One cosmetic problem is the inability to get rid of the M05PCSPY from the party.

Initially the New Game crashed before the cutscene, but then I closed Infinity Explorer and tried again, success.

Getting killed should be impossible, unless some hack made your character < 10 hp.

Or a previous bug.

I tried to play a mage with Con=3 (5 hp, still remaining 2 after the torture).

I fixed some problems with pregen, but you won't be able to save the character under a new name (you can overwrite existing exported chars)

Damage was adding up, there are three lots of it, PC would survive the first lot okay but would succumb to the second or third lot.

I fixed the two problems, game can now be played normally in single player mode.

After each of the first two waves of damage from JI, the script now calls ForceSpell(Player1,CLERIC_HEAL). As sadists go, JI is quite nice, he heals you after each time he damages you, so you will be alive to be damaged again.

ActionOverride("M05PCSPY",LeaveParty()) was used to eject the unwanted spy from the party roster.

It seems that character creation is possible with single player but not multiplayer?!

Examine the first code to see what is wrong with second lot of code.

Start of singleplayer PC Generation:

[GUIScript]: Loading Script GUICG1...[OK]

[ResourceManager]: Searching for GUICG.chu...[chitin.key]

[ResourceManager]: Searching for guicgb... guicgb.mos...[Cache]

[ResourceManager]: Searching for guigdb... guigdb.mos...[chitin.key]

[ResourceManager]: Searching for guigend1.bam...[chitin.key]

[GUIScript]: Loading Script GUICG12...[OK]

[ResourceManager]: Searching for guiapb... guiapb.mos...[chitin.key]

[ResourceManager]: Searching for guiprc.bam...[chitin.key]

[ResourceManager]: Searching for guigenc3.bam...[chitin.key]

&&&&&&

Start of multiplayer PC Generation:

[GUIScript]: Loading Script GUICG1...[OK]

[ResourceManager]: Searching for guicgb... guicgb.mos...[Cache]

[ResourceManager]: Searching for guigdb... guigdb.mos...[chitin.key]

[ResourceManager]: Searching for guigend1.bam...[chitin.key]

[GUIScript]: Runtime Error:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "./GUIScripts/bg2\GUICG1.py", line 104, in NextPress

GemRB.SetPlayerStat (MyChar, IE_SEX, Gender)

RuntimeError: Actor not found!

((This then freezes computer!))

It seems that Jaheira is getting an excessive number of spells for a level 1 Druid. She should be getting three 1st level spells only. Instead she is getting the spells of a level 7 Cleric. Errors in some 2DA table I imagine.

Gibberlings could not move during the fight called by Aataqah.

Apart from that everything started okay. I am playing single player mode, I was not able to fix the multiplayer.

Initial party line up is:

Protagonist: Paladin (Undead Hunter)

Minsc: Ranger

Jahiera: Fighter/Druid

PC: Cleric/Thief

Imoen: Thief/Mage

PC: Sorceror

Line-up will change through the game.

multiplayer character pregeneration is a way to get fully custom parties and has little do with multiplayer except for menu placement. But you do start the game through the singleplayer menu after transfering the saves.

Ishad: I split this thread off, since the point of the other one is to get a quick (the run in runthrough) test of the major scripting, not indepth testing of everything. That's fine too, but now the focus is elsewhere.

It is also clear something is wrong with your install. Ok, there's a tiny chance something is wrong with UB, but this hp bug and m*spy creature joining your party is unique to you so far. Could also be a goi leftover, if you didn't use a clean install.

Jaheira has 5 level 1 slots, 3 from 7 druid levels and 2 from her wisdom (14) bonus. This matches the ingame tables (mxspldru, mxsplwis). The state at level 1 in bg2 is up to level1npcs, but if the tables are untouched and no harder magic is applied, she should have 3 slots.

I forget to mention that I made Jaheira a Human. Then I invoked Level 1 NPCs mod and made her a single class Fighter. Then I dual classed her into a level 1 Druid. Maybe it is a problem with Unfinished Business mod?

Auto-Pause when Enemy Sighted seems to take effect every time an enemy comes into view! If you have a group of Goblins, the pause happens every time that an individual Goblin comes into view.

Sewage Golem is surrounded by some magical effect animation.

If cursor goes too close to the bottom of the screen, it scrolls the view! Irritating when you are trying to use the twelve action buttons at the bottom of the screen.

Write Magic does not work! It does nothing at all.

You can use the Multiplayer function of the original game, create a party to your taste and then save. Move the save game to the Save folder, and then play it with GemRB.

Edit:

I can Write Magic, if the game is not Paused, my natural inclination is to Pause while I do things like scribing.

I never got the cutscene spy in my team. That is some mod.

A script failure doesn't freeze the computer not even the game.

As long as the command console comes up and typing Quit() leaves the game, it is script failure, not freeze nor crash.

If the game quits on its own, it is a crash.This has 2 variants, intentional abort or real crash, but it is a bit difficult to tell them apart on Windows,

If you can't quit the game and kill it with the task manager then the game freezed,

If you can't even do that, then thats what i call "freezes computer".

I would call it an internal freeze, the game is totally unresponsive but it can be shut down in the usual way by clicking on the close program box.

These problems were not found in the original version of BG2, I ran the same save games on both engines and got different results. Hence it is more likely the engines at fault not the files.

This is the printout when you try Write Magic, fortunately the game does not crash.

Use item: scrl1e

Extended header: 1

Attacktype: 3

Range: 1

Target: 5

Projectile: 0

[Control]: Nested event handlers are not supported!

[Control]: Nested event handlers are not supported!

[ResourceManager]: Searching for CHMW1INV... CHMW1INV.plt...[chitin.key]

[ResourceManager]: Searching for CHMW1INV... CHMW1INV.plt...[chitin.key]

Auto-Pause when Enemy Sighted only pauses on the first enemy sighted in the original?

Check the spellbook if the writing really failed; it's a bit tricky since it is not done immediately.

"Auto-Pause when Enemy Sighted only pauses on the first enemy sighted in the original?"

As I recall that is the case.

Basically the game seems functional, it just lacks a few finishing touches.

Ready spell buttons, F4 thru F6, seem to do nothing. Just as well spells can be cast thru F7.

Only two Mephits in the Library, no Goblins… Spawn Points 1 and 3 did not fire, unlike all the others.

Flame Arrow is in Imoen's spellbook, but I don't recall the dialog box informing me of the successful writing of the spell into the spellbook. Did the dialog never appear? On the other hand, when you have a spell, you do get dialogs informing you that you already have that spell in your book.

When first met, Djinni is not in his Lamp, the latter does nothing.

Transient crashes: may be avoided if you make sure the Options have been corrected when play starts.

Opening the door to Fennedan's room crashes the game!

Looking up key: 1 (1)

[KeyMap]: RunFunction(GUICommon::ResolveKey)

[ResourceManager]: Searching for chmb3g11.bam...[chitin.key]

[ResourceManager]: Searching for SHAPE.dlg...[chitin.key]

[ResourceManager]: Searching for animate.ids...[Override]

[ResourceManager]: Searching for boolean.ids...[chitin.key]

here, he talks before summoning (on sight) and the lamp works normally. I don't remember how it worked in the original though.

I can reproduce the crash though. Novel stuff. And fixed.

Archived