InfinityPortraits - Portraits for Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

TariC

Hello everyone :)

Since "Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition" has different portrait resolutions than in the original version, I started the InfinityPortraits project on DeviantArt.com. I gather Portraits from various Artists around DeviantArt and formate them into the right solutions for the Enhanced Edition, the original games and also Icewind Dale 1 and 2.

- http://infinityportr...deviantart.com/ -

If anyone else wishes to add their own artworks there, just send me a pn :)

Love and kisses,

TariC ~ <3

I'm pretty shure, that the original portraits all have been drawn in a higher resolution, than we see it ingame. And if you remember the character creation screen and the ending seqeunce from throne of bhaal, where is said what happend to each character, you see that the portraits are all 210x330, the same size as the IWD2 portraits. You are even able to extract the big portraits from the gamecode (thanks, shadowkeeper :D ).

Here is the link to the page were Jarl (the one who posted this information on the Kerzenburg Forum) found this information: http://www.reddit.co...sort=confidence

I thought you're looking for even higher resolution portraits. However, all the portraits mods have are usualy in the 210x330 resolution anyway so I'm not sure what is this "portrait hunting" about. Even other portraits from portrait packs etc use 210x330 res.

Interesting, if you leave out the alternative npc portraits, all custom portraits I ever found for BG were allways only 110x170 and 38x60. Anyway, fact is, that all the gamers out there get completly legal Portraits for there characters that definetly (in most cases) no one else ever uploaded anywhere.

Because you probably looked among those portraits that were cut out from some book covers, comics etc. It's nice that you want to offer lots of portrait, but "lots" doesn't mean they suite the game. Painting sketches just don't blend with original BG art. It's more or less as good as putting your own photo in the game. That's why for example Enkida worked on her portrait pack. Or look a what MiLeah did. There were always pages offering many portraits, but I believe it's better to have 5 great portraits than 20 that just don't suite the game...

...but maybe that's just my opinion.

I just try to gather as much portraits as possible :) In the end, it's up to the player what portrait he uses. Some think, that ccustom portraits have to blend in perfectly with the rest of the game while others think, that they have to look as much as I imagine my character.

I for myself, don't really care if all the custom portraits blend in perfectly. My BG is very higly modded anyway, there is a lot of optical parts that don't fit in perfectly. I changed Edwins portrait for example to fit the lore more, but the style of the drawing does not really fit. Same with the Edwina portrait from the romance mod (I scanned a picture from the Forgotten Realms campaign book 3rd edition for that).

I also don't really like these photoshoped versions of the original portraits. Not because of the quality, but because they are photoshoped. I don't want my character to wear exactly the same armor as Keldorn ;)

It all depends on the personal taste in the end.

PS:

Even the vanilla Portraits from BG1 and BG2 don't perfectly fit together.

There are plenty of portraits by those authors, which don't not use big pieces of the original BioWare portraits.

As for BG1/BG2 differences - that's why you've got to know for which game you're doing specific portrait.

However, in the end you'll do what you want to. Just wanted to make this note. It's good if some players can be satisfied with your collection.

I changed Edwins portrait for example to fit the lore more, but the style of the drawing does not really fit. Same with the Edwina portrait from the romance mod (I scanned a picture from the Forgotten Realms campaign book 3rd edition for that).

Here is a portrait of lore corrected Edwin and dito Edwina by (the above mentioned) Enkida. :)

Interesting, if you leave out the alternative npc portraits, all custom portraits I ever found for BG were allways only 110x170 and 38x60.
That is correct, TariC, BG1 never had any use for other size portraits (i.e. ToB epilogue size 210x330) until now. For that matter, neither did most SoA NPCs unless they were also for Throne of Bhaal. However, all of the vanilla NPCs for both BG1 and BG2 have huge sized portraits (floating around somewhere - if nowhere else then on shsforums.net) that are more than large enough for the 210x330 size. The problem will be with mod NPCs who may not have that format, and indeed a lot of them will not. For those, we should welcome redrawings in something resembling the original style. Possibly for some NPCs, the authors may welcome completely new interpretations, if they're good enough and fit in with the BG style. Personally, I don't think IWD portraits do fit in with either BG1 or BG2. They are cool in their own way, but a completely different style.

Archived