Just one opinion

Sergio

Especially the useful part was important, I thought :D And I concur; IR makes many many more weapons interesting and worthy of hanging on to just-in-case...

IMO it's a hallmark of good design that IR "forces" the choice of selling items for cash or keeping them as backup speciality resources. Without IR you just sell everything except the OP-weapons.

Have you got an Eta for when you are oging to release Item revision?

The mod itself is ready(*). Last night I and Arda managed to finally catch each other on skype and decide how to edit the readme and re-organize the install (e.g. overall we are trying to make the classic install more "standardized" and easy to handle for new players, while still providing a high degree of customization via .ini to "power user" who know what they are doing - and don't care about my recommendations). In the meanwhile Mike seems to be working on some enhanced compatibility stuff for BGT, but it shouldn't take much.

Short story: I don't know Arda and Mike's schedule, nor how much free time they can find to mod, thus I cannot give you an actual release date, but I think/hope that this stuff shouldn't take much at all.

(*) Depending on how much time Arda and Mike need I may squeeze into v4 a bit more changes for (e.g. I've more or less in mind what to do with all BGEE items and I'm now working on their extended lore/backgrounds), but they may as well end up on a later update if everything mentioned above is ready before it.

1) Lawgiver - in both BG1 and BG2 this weapon is quite easy to obtain. Price balances it's worth somewhat in BG2, but in BG1 this is easilly the most powerful 1-h weapon in game and is obtainable very fast, and for free (you just have to betray him to druids). Considering that it is already the most damaging 1-h BG1 weapon (and of a high enchantement) - I'd say such Confusion immunity needs to go. BG2 price could reflect that (by making it cheaper), or, the weapon could be tweaked (generic +1,+2 save vs spell, or something similar).

Now, IR may take BG1 into account with it's "Store revisions" component; however, this particular sword is quest-related and I see no reason why the guy wielding it shouldn't keep it.

Lawgiver

I kinda agree this sword is a bit too powerful for BG1, especially if it's neither hard to get nor expensive. Last time I worked on it I buffed its axiomatic effect because BG2 were complaining about it (it did not affect neutral creatures, but only chaotic ones), but while the end result is fine for BG2 imo it makes this blade too good for BG1. I need to think what to do though, as immunity to confusion is kinda a big part of the weapon's concept imo. Mmm...

I disagree with nerfing Lawgiver. It is (really) good for BG1, but not OP. The axiomatic effect is very cool, and confusion immunity suits it. You can get it pretty early and easily, but betraying the wielder is a wildly inferior choice in regards to XP, loot and story (and if RP:ing a Good CHARNAME, probably also morally). If you don't go that way, you instead receive it quite late, as a quest reward.

Lawgiver

Last but not least, aren't there too many magical bastard sword swords between Albruin, Sword of Balduran and Lawgiver?

I don't play EE so don't have Albruin (which would be godsent in this early levels, btw), but I'd say even 2 are plenty - it's supposed to be a rather exotic weapon.

Three bastards swords is plenty, but not too many.

You can get Lawgiver at level 1, actually, since one more is in a locked chest in Ulgoth's Beard.

Ah, that's true. Not that I've ever gone to UG when I'm lvl 1 though :p

But the point is still valid, hmm. Isn't it - supposedly - an unique weapon? If so Arda might have to work some magics.

Guys I'm a bit lost, did this conversation about Lawgiver actually started somewhere else and you quoted here by mistake?

Quick answer: Lawgiver's background actually claims this sword isn't a unique specimen, but that was made to justify its presence on both BG1 and BG2, not to allow multiple copies. It may be a bit too powerful for BG1 if gained too early. Confusion immunity is very convenient within BG1 and early BG2 (especially vs. SCS mages), but at the same time it's very appropriate for the current concept and the one thing that makes the weapon particularly appealing imo (else it's just a +2 weapon with a situational increased dmg).

Simply remove the one in Ulgoth's Beard. It makes zero sense that such a weapon is locked up in a random house.

Actually if you go do that, you also should restore it when the druids are dealt with(aka not killed).

Yeah my bad Demi, the multi-quote function fooled me...

It's from IR v3 Feedback, starting here. If you don't mind, I'd be happy to have the conversation moved to that thread.

---

Removing Lawgiver from UG as random loot seems to be the best option indeed. The two other - mutually exclusive - ways to obtain it are fine IMHO.

Guys I'm a bit lost, did this conversation about Lawgiver actually started somewhere else and you quoted here by mistake?

Quick answer: Lawgiver's background actually claims this sword isn't a unique specimen, but that was made to justify its presence on both BG1 and BG2, not to allow multiple copies. It may be a bit too powerful for BG1 if gained too early. Confusion immunity is very convenient within BG1 and early BG2 (especially vs. SCS mages), but at the same time it's very appropriate for the current concept and the one thing that makes the weapon particularly appealing imo (else it's just a +2 weapon with a situational increased dmg).

Simply remove the one in Ulgoth's Beard. It makes zero sense that such a weapon is locked up in a random house.

Actually if you go do that, you also should restore it when the druids are dealt with(aka not killed).

I though there was only two possible outcomes of that encounter?

- Side with Aldeth; or try to reason: druids attack, get quest and sword later

- Side with druids: get sword, lose later quest

. Confusion immunity is very convenient within BG1 and early BG2 (especially vs. SCS mages)

That's an understatemetn. It's very, very convinient.

I though there was only two possible outcomes of that encounter?

- Side with Aldeth; or try to reason: druids attack, get quest and sword later

- Side with druids: get sword, lose later quest

There are. Probably Jarno wants to say that you should get the sword immidately in Cloakwood if you have BG1 NPC project which allows a peaceful resolution if Jaheira is in party. Jarl's Adventure pack does the same iirc.

Unfortunatly, latest SCS bothes up the city part of the quest - so until DavidW comes back and fixes things siding with Aldeth is the very worst thing one can do. Loose the sword, loose the quest.

Probably Jarno wants to say that you should get the sword immidately in Cloakwood if you have BG1 NPC project which allows a peaceful resolution if Jaheira is in party. Jarl's Adventure pack does the same iirc.

Näh, I am not that well versed with the BG1 mods... but something, as I would remember that I once didn't get the sword when I sided with the druids and killed the hunter. As it(the +1, +3 vs. Shapeshifters) wasn't on the hunters. If we go lore friendly, the hunter shouldn't take a vs. Shapeshifter or the Lawgiver weapon to forest swarming with spiders and wyverns. The Albruin would fit like a claw there. Just my opinion.

Probably Jarno wants to say that you should get the sword immidately in Cloakwood if you have BG1 NPC project which allows a peaceful resolution if Jaheira is in party. Jarl's Adventure pack does the same iirc.

Näh, I am not that well versed with the BG1 mods... but something, as I would remember that I once didn't get the sword when I sided with the druids and killed the hunter. As it(the +1, +3 vs. Shapeshifters) wasn't on the hunters. If we go lore friendly, the hunter shouldn't take a vs. Shapeshifter or the Lawgiver weapon to forest swarming with spiders and wyverns. The Albruin would fit like a claw there. Just my opinion.

Hmm. I think either a mod was interfering - or there were something weird going on - because the hunter (Aldeth) should have the sword on him always (in vanilla you can pickpocket him for it in the forest, and then again in Baldurs Gate). And while I'm all for lore, this can easily be explained with the nobleman just taking his best sword when he goes out into the wilderness. That said, Albruin would make a better fit at this point in game. But that is probably only possible on a non-EE install?

That said, Albruin would make a better fit at this point in game. But that is probably only possible on a non-EE install?

Erhm, nope. One can take & give items in the area script to handle things like these. So even the EE can handle this. Or you could just replace the item files with each others(not that I actually know where the other ones are placed in).

Archived