Alignment shift?

JPS

I agree that if there is to be an alignment shift it should be to TN.

But the idea of choices, as with Anomen, is also good - for instance if HD was to become an evil alignment due to some circumstance it could depend on the alignment of the PC whether the romance was continued. I have my doubts that a PC of NG or LG would with to be in a relationship with an evil person.

I agree that if there is to be an alignment shift it should be to TN.

But the idea of choices, as with Anomen, is also good - for instance if HD was to become an evil alignment due to some circumstance it could depend on the alignment of the PC whether the romance was continued. I have my doubts that a PC of NG or LG would with to be in a relationship with an evil person.

i nearly always have a pc with a good alignment but i dont play like it , i dont think that the alignment matters very much whether  a pc would romance this or that pc.

Well, as I've said before, I don't really like alignments, and try to play (and write, in this case) as if a character doesn't really know her own alignment, and definitely not the alignments of others.

It is of course still possible to define others as "good" or "evil", according to their actions, but in my interpretation, the characters in the game do not know that there are nine different alignments and that everybody belongs to one of them. All they know is what the others do and what they say they believe in.

Now, if Haer'Dalis turns evil (and I'm not saying that that is necessarily going to be an option here) it will be because the PC acts evil and encourages him to do the same. A good PC, played according to her alignment, would not chose the options that would be required to turn HD evil, and a formally good PC played in an evil way wouldn't care...

JPS

EDIT: Oh, and Haer'Dalis will romance a dwarf. Not just any dwarf, but if the PC is a dwarf, that won't stop him...

but one question: does a pc need to have at least an intellience of ,for example, 12 ?

Not at the moment, no. I don't really think that would add anything to the mod. The people who like to have a decent intelligence score will have it anyway, and the people who pull down their int to 3 to get more points to spend on strength would just cheat anyway...

If someone feels that their PC is too stupid for a relationship, they'll just have to chose a few stupid answers and end it that way.

JPS

I try to always have at least 11 intelligence regardless of spell casting ability or not. How could a stupid PC lead a group successfully? Even if they have a high charisma I'm sure that without a certain amount of brain power to back their decisions the PC would soon find the party memebers had lost faith.

:D

don't really think that would add anything to the mod. The people who like to have a decent intelligence score will have it anyway, and the people who pull down their int to 3 to get more points to spend on strength would just cheat anyway...

Yeah cheating... I won't say I'm not familiar with it, but anyway I can't imagine an imbecile with int. 3 discussing poetry and philosophy with HD.

Maybe there should be some answers that appear only if PC's Int is slightly higher than average (and for cheaters you just don't have to mention that   :D )

As for the alignment shift I don't find it really important either, but TN or NG (can't choose between them) would make sense (perhaps for people who care about alignments) as well as NE

Yeah, well, if lots of people complain about it, we might add some kind of requirement in a later version. The other romances don't have any requirements other than race, though, and nobody seems to complain.

At the moment, the only thing that I see going for an alignment shift is that Bioware designer Dave Gaider mentioned it in an old post about the original plans for the romance, and since the plans for this mod were first discussed at the Unfinished Business forum it kind of makes sense to try to follow the original plans as far as posible. But we're not sticking to the original plans just for the sake of doing it, so an alignment shift will only happen if it makes sense in our story when we get that far.

JPS

In regards to the query on intelligence, in some of the dialogues that I am trying to write for early in the romance I am aiming to give the PC a 'stupid' response, so if the player feels that their intelligence isn't high anough to understand what HD is saying, they can end the romance this way rather than insulting him and making him leave the party.

It might be time to bring this up again. There won't be a shift to good or evil, mainly because I don't want the romance paths to be more associated with alignments than they have to be. I'm especially worried aout the obsessive path becoming "the evil path", but I don't think a shift to good in the romantic path would be such a good idea either.

That means that only the shift to true netral remains (since nobody's mentioned lawful neutral I'll just assume that it's not an option). I don't really see the point of this shift either, but if somebody really wants it, feel free to argue your case. Otherwise, Haer'Dalis is very likely to remain chaotic neutral.

IMHO, Haer dalis' alignment should stay as it is, since he's practically the embodiment of CN-ness and changing that would cause a drastic shift in the character. Haer has based everything on his beliefs - and his being a bard amplifies this, so it would be very hard for him to change alignment, even to TN.

When he romances someone of good alignment though, this this might be pretty hard since for the most part the good PC would try its best to make Haer dalis see past whimsies and chance, teaching him a more solid perspective of things and see past endless carnage and destruction. This phase change would be very slow though, probably to the point of encompassing the whole of ToB, until the very last few fights.

A neutral character and Haer dalis will result with Haer romancing the PC rather than the other way round.

An evil PC would probably attract Haer through the destruction and chaos it leaves in its wake. Haer would revel in such, (on chaos, not evil) and the rest is history.

Just a few thoughts from an avid CN Blade fan. (avid, rabid, call it what you will) :D

Archived