GemRB 0.8.0 released! (Fork Me edition)

lynx

Left in the dust....

its temporary i assure you (unfortunately temporary for gemrb can be a long time), but its still possible to build a "pelya" build if that is such a better experience for you. One will probably be created eventually, but it will lack multitouch input and some other things.

for those lamenting the config GUI, we will be making our own (better one IMO) so just be patient.

I was simply comparing to the 0.7.2 build, which handles certain things better IMO, like 16:9 display

I assure you this is not true (poke in on IRC and somebody will help you). the mouse "emulation" is identical too, but since currently there is no cursor support in the SDL2 renderer you cant tell. this version is touchscreen only for the time being (again this is a temporary setback).

We will be able to supply android builds on a much more regular basis now so you likely wont even need to wait for next release to get some of these things fixed. By next release you will have:

• mouse cursors back
  • at least a marginal speed increase
  • some GUI config and error messages (not a personal guarantee, but I feel a safe assumption)

its temporary i assure you (unfortunately temporary for gemrb can be a long time), but its still possible to build a "pelya" build if that is such a better experience for you. One will probably be created eventually, but it will lack multitouch input and some other things

It's not that's it's necessarily a better experience, but a lack of choices. My system won't run 0.8.0. I'm not trying to sound ungrateful, either - I am very grateful. Even running these games with 0.7.2 is better than not being able to run them on my tablet at all. When I'm done with BG 1 & 2, I'm getting the others - even if I have to run them with an older build.

I saved my configuration data for 0.8.0 because I will keep trying and I do hope it does get faster.

So, are we trying NWN next? LOL Wouldn't that be something.

the "screen" is NOT supposed to be "stretched" ever (we have never supported arbitrary resolutions).

Well, v0.7.2 does stretch the game display to the whole screen (don't want to sound like a little child here, but it really does ;-) ), while v0.8.0 doesn't, and I don't know which setting I must change to make it do so. I like the stretched view much better than the original 4:3 view of the PC version.

I have applied the widescreen mod for my 1280x720px display before copying the files to my phone - at least it patched the game and stated it had been applied successfully. Ingame display looks alright for me, apart from the slightly stretched GUI. Check out these screenshots here: https://www.dropbox....Screenshots.zip (I've already exceeded my upload limit, therefore the Dropbox link).

I appreciate your patience, you're being really helpful. :-)

I'm looking forward to the next bugfixing releases, and in the meantime I'll just keep fiddling around with both versions until the new one works properly for me; config data of 0.7.2 isn't overwritten by 0.8.0 or vice versa, so it's easy to switch between them.

So, are we trying NWN next? LOL Wouldn't that be something.

You can try: https://github.com/DrMcCoy/xoreos

Wow! I should have known better than making a joke like that!

If and when I ever get a real tablet, I'll have to think about NWN. As this tablet has trouble with a 2D engine universal port, I highly doubt it could run this kind of 3D game with any kind of success. If it was targeted specifically at Android and utilized its OS or an engine like Unity or jMonkey, it could work, though. I do run many 3D games with great success. I guess there is nothing new under the sun and unique ideas are rare and hardly ever unique!

As this tablet has trouble with a 2D engine universal port, I highly doubt it could run this kind of 3D game with any kind of success.

except the 3D game probably uses your GPU ;)

GemRB is completely software rendered ATM.

That's actually good to know! I haven't looked at the code for GemRB or that NWN port at all. I did, briefly, try to compile GemRB before deciding I would need to devote more time than I had available to understanding and making it work, but I haven't looked at the actual engine code. I must admit I thought one of the layers used the GPU, though. This explains a lot.

So, when you say 'at the moment' I'm hoping it will be using GPUs in the future. That would be good news because, with the direction PCs and OSs are taking lately, I may be looking into a Linux alternative for my slow PC.

I still may try to help at some point, but even as slow as projects like this move, it will probably be near a release version before I could get around to it. That's assuming I could even help. I'm pretty sure everyone working on this project are so far ahead of me in programming that I would always be playing catch-up.

There are a couple Android (and one Windows) projects I am working on and these will consume all of my time for at least a year or two. Also, sometimes it's just fun to play - to relax and enjoy the hard work others have put into something like GemRB. If I try to play a game I'm programming, I would be constantly debugging it and not playing just for pleasure.

Sorry, I tend to ramble! Thanks for the info, I look forward to working my way through the Infinity games, one at a time.

Just a few things to add to your ramblings, even though you have no time:

- the fact that we can now regularly and cleanly make android builds is one of the highlights of this release — it's almost automated (android/README)

- you call this slow?! Compared to five years ago, we're supersonic and healthier than ever. :)

- knowing how to code is not a prerequisite to contribution; this is just a silly misconception

- I didn't do any serious coding before gemrb either (don't underestimate peer review), haven't improved all that much since, but yet I manage to do more good than damage ;)

- the trick to separate work and play is to just note/save bugs when playing and deal with them later

- the fact that we can now regularly and cleanly make android builds is one of the highlights of this release — it's almost automated (android/README)

I downloaded gemrb-0.8.0.tar.gz and took a look at the README. You are right, this does look much easier to build for Android than previous releases.

- you call this slow?! Compared to five years ago, we're supersonic and healthier than ever. :)

I was just parroting SyntaxError, I have no idea as I haven't worked with git or an open-source project before.

- the trick to separate work and play is to just note/save bugs when playing and deal with them later

Oh trust me, I know and understand the concept, but it's not in my nature! Have you ever watched Monk - think that, but with programming perfection. Unfortunately, we all know it is futile, even me. ;)

I may have a look when I am done with state taxes. Thanks for the support and wealth of information - everyone!

There's another android build up on sourceforge, this one. We've fixed a problem with touches not always registering as left-clicks when they should, thanks to reports from different hardware than available on the dev team.

With this latest version of GemRB playing bg1, when I rest and get the dream telling me I cannot return to Candlekeep, the screen goes all wonky. Everything gets stretched out and it looks like a CRT missing every other scan line with a yellow background. I cannot go any further, it hoses the game. Thinking it might do that with all movies, I watched the intro, but it played fine.

I was running 0.7.2, but I ran into a bug at that same point that wouldn't let me save, but the dream movie plays without a hitch. I thought I could run 0.8.0 long enough to save a game passed the dream and reload 0.7.2, that's why I reloaded 0.8.0.

I'm going to try and save a game with an older version because I know I got passed this point in the past. I just wanted to make everyone aware in case someone else can reproduce the problem.

I have the same yellow, distorted background but right after the intro videos with the last android-version.

fixed in source; next build wont suffer from the video corruption. should have a new build up today.

thank you everybody for testing and reporting.

Archived