FYI: usability changes in 2.0/SoD

subtledoctor

Just wanted to drop a quick heads-up: I've discovered that in the 2.0 beta, the shaman class shares the same usability bit as the druid class. The reason I bring this up, is that as many modders know, usability in these games can only work in a more restrictive fashion. But, shamans will be able to use battle axes and short bows, unlike druids.

The way that is being implemented is, all axes and short bows in the 2.0 beta have been edited to be usable by druids. They have further been patched with opcode 319, the "Restrict Item" effect, to be restricted from being used by druids. Shamans have a different value in CLASS.IDS (21) so they are exempted from the 319 effect.

If I understand things, this means that any axes and short bows currently in any mod will have incorrect behavior in BGEE 2.0. They will be unusable by shamans, when in fact they should be usable. Any such items will need to be patched to 1) become usable by druids, and 2) get an ADD_ITEM_EFFECT with a 319 effect to restrict use by druids.

I don't even know if IR adds any such items, or only patches existing ones - it's been a long time since I looked at its code. This is just an FYI. Cheers folks.

I'm confused. What is this changing from a normal install? If I have nothing other than official stuff, my druids won't be able to use short bows or battle axes, right?

Well no, they won't.

But if you bring an IR axes and bows, the Shaman's won't be able to utilize them.

And then IR needs to modify them to utilize the new opcode & flag to make them to work correctly. In the EE games. But not in non-EE...

Ah. We should use gold text when things apply only to EE, because it's so shiny and new and great.

Why not use this color instead ? Yeah, see it's mostly invisible... except when you highlight it. It's the same with which ever color plan you make, so why bother ?

The Shaman+ Axes is easy to program, you just use ACTION_IF GAME_IS ~BG1EE SOD BG2EE~ BEGIN with each of the axe copies... there's no need to fix a darn thing, except copy and edit the new files .... you clearly are making this a way more big of a deal than it actually is... you don't need to do a darn thing, just avoid installing the IR to the EE games when the v2.0 is officially released until the IR just gets a new beta that takes care of this. IS IT THAT HARD TO WAIT ?

Or you could just not use the new class and you would be totally fine with it... this whole time.

Archived