BG2: Problems and bug reports

DeathAngel

Guest Lingz

Hope this is the right place.

Just wondering, what is Gavin suposed to do about Edwins rash? Everything just stops (except for Callisto's twinkling armor), the menu dissapears and I have to close the window. (but I don't get any error messages).

Hmmm. I don't know what I did wrong. I originally thought part of the problem was I spoke with Lanie before Gavin told me about his quest to visit her (not much bantering).

Then I discovered he didn't think we were still married (even though I chose the whole...this is the ring Gavin gave me to seal our engagement, he should have returned to Beregost and "Gavin my love" greeting. I completely uninstalled BG, re-installed it, patched it, installed the banter pack, Gavin v7 (and here's where the problem may lie) Dungeon be Gone (don't judge me :) I really didn't relish trudging through the dungeon again). I was hoping that I could grab the ring and escape. When I realized that wouldn't work I uninstalled DBG but didn't want to do the whole unistall BG again. (Perhaps that was a problem?)

Again I rush to Gavin and he tells me that I broke it off! Is it because I'm a swashbuckler (because I didn't see that on the list of restrictions) I'm a chaotic good half-elf. Anything I can change in shadowkeeper? Otherwise I'll just start the romance over (without talking to Lanie before Gavin brings up his request).

(Oh, and the second time in the dungeon I said that I recognized the ring as the one Gavin gave me and I was releaved he wasn't with me when I was captured)

The problem is that you talked to Lanie before Gavin told you about visitation. That fouled everything else up. It's fixed in v8, but you would need to go back to a save before you went to the Temple of Oghma. V8 is uploaded and you can download it from BG2 Gavin's project page, but not from the download page. I've still got 2 more G3 mods to update today, so I thought that I would update the downloads page only once.

Thanks Berelinde! But the second time through (after the unintalling of BG) we haven't even seen Lanie yet. As soon as I get out of the dungeon I headed right to Gavin. He tells me about Lanie and I open up the PID menu and ask him if he still thinks we're married. He tells me I broke it off.

(In the dungeon I recognized the ring as our engagement ring, said I was glad he wasn't captured with us, and greeted him by calling him my love)

It's not a huge deal, just rather curious...

Ah, OK, must have a variable check screwed up somewhere...

No, the problem is that you asked him about it before you had your first real talk, when the exact nature of your relationship is determined. Up to that point, you're still RA=1, so he'll think that you asked to go back to the way things were before you committed to each other. If you ask him again after you've had your first talk, he'll say that he considers you still married.

I've got the code fixed locally with a check in place so that you can't talk about the past until after you've had your first talk. I'll version up after I've finished versioning up DA Portraits and Kivan, but don't bother downloading v9 unless you're really determined to have the absolute latest version because that's the only thing I'm changing unless somebody comes up with something new between now and 3 pm or so. I'm beginning to regret versioning up every time somebody reports something, though, because it seems like the moment I've uploaded a new version, I've got something else to change. After v9, no version ups unless it's something game-breaking. :)

Thanks Berelinde! But the second time through (after the unintalling of BG) we haven't even seen Lanie yet. As soon as I get out of the dungeon I headed right to Gavin. He tells me about Lanie and I open up the PID menu and ask him if he still thinks we're married. He tells me I broke it off.

(In the dungeon I recognized the ring as our engagement ring, said I was glad he wasn't captured with us, and greeted him by calling him my love)

It's not a huge deal, just rather curious...

Me, too, and I did a fresh install! He tells me I broke it off but since he takes the relationship seriously and you can tell Anomen that you are married but were separated after Baldur's Gate I'm not too worried.

Crud. I just did a new install and don't want to do it all over again as I installed Gavin first after the patches and fixpack and then mods afterwards. I wonder if it is really necessary or if I should just keep v7 and go on. :)

Edited by Ankhesenpaaten

Did you ask him before or after you had your first talk? That would be the one you have the first night after you pick him up at the Temple of Oghma. This is important, because I only want to fix it once.

Edited by berelinde
It seems to be working now. I didn't ask him about the state of our relationship until after our first "real" talk, and I didn't speak to Lanie before Gavin mentioned visitation. He does recognize that he and the PC are married.

Thanks again for your help!

I asked him as soon as we met. Oh well, I know better now and for next installation will use v9. So it's all good.

That's an error message I've never seen, so I don't know what to tell you. Did you already delete the mod folder "gavin_bg2"?

If you did already delete the mod folder, you can retrieve it from your recycle bin. You need it until after you have uninstalled the old mod because it contains the backup files you need to restore your game to the state it was in before you installed Gavin in the first place.

Once you have replaced the mod folder and uninstalled the mod, then you should delete the mod folder, extract the archive for the new version, and install the new version.

Hope this helps.

Oh dear. No, I hadn't done anything before I tried the uninstall :laugh:

the choice of R, N, U, Q then

"Removing [Gavin for BG2] (component #0)

ERROR: This Mod is too old (or too new) to uninstall that component for you.

Upgrade to the newest bersions of this mod and that one and try again.

[Failure("TP" not found!")]

ERROR: Failure("uninstallation error")

PLEASE email the file SETUP-GAVIN_BG2.DEBUG to berelinde@gmail.com

Using Language [English]"

then back to the choice line

Some of it I can't even parse! this mod? that mod? LOL

IS providing a weidu log or the debug file going to help at all? Could using the troubleshooting mod to sort out Minsc's stuttering have done something?

Yes, I know that's a desperate question!

Kath Stonedog

PS I've been finishing up a BG1 game - Gavin is adorable :)

Unfortunately, I don't know what to tell you. This isn't something I've seen before. I don't recommend doing this ordinarily because it can cause problems, but there may be a corrupt file in your previous download, so you might not have a choice. You could try downloading and extracting a new copy of the archive, telling it to replace any files that already exist.

If that doesn't work, you might be forced to reinstall the game and add your mods again.

I'll be adding this error to my list of inexplicable error messages, that's for sure.