[SoD] Minsc recruitment dialog without Dynaheir

Hi there.

Dynaheir is dead. Minsc was in my party at the end of SoD prologue.

I found Minsc at the first camp. Thing is he has the same dialog and since Dynaheir is dead you can recruit him only via console (ctrl+q). I tried every dialog combination, everytime you accept Dynaheir it just removes the dialog window.

Any plan to spare us the ugly console ? ~~

Thanks, great mod btw.

P.S: added a screen.

oNdUdXe.jpg

Awww I just started a playthrough and here's a nasty bug.. Dynaheir is dead due to the plot, or she died in combat? Please, no spoilers if possible, I never played past BG1 :)

If you look at the meat stack next to the player character and Minsc, you'll notice that Dynaheir is there, just as the exploded version... so it's due to a combat, or players intentional NPC kill.

you can as well ctrl+y Minsc since he is not supposed to be there at all if Dynaheir has been chunked in BG1. As for fixing the problem (which in this case means not allowing Minsc to spawn again after he leaves the party during the first SoD dungeon) please upload save from the beginning of SoD (this save is automatically created, so you will have it for sure).

Edited by K4thos

Awww I just started a playthrough and here's a nasty bug.. Dynaheir is dead due to the plot, or she died in combat? Please, no spoilers if possible, I never played past BG1 :)

you can as well ctrl+y Minsc since he is not supposed to be there at all if Dynaheir has been chunked in BG1. As for fixing the problem (which in this case means not allowing Minsc to spawn again after he leaves the party during the first SoD dungeon) please upload save from the beginning of SoD (this save is automatically created, so you will have it for sure).

This looks like a bug inherited from the original game.

While in the earlier SoD meeting with Dynaheir and Minsc (see BD0108.bcs), there is a check that both must be alive for them to spawn, this check is missing in BD1000.bcs. This means one can appear without the other, but the dialogue breaks off (when Dynaheir is due to speak) because it anticipates that both are present.

If one of them dies between recruiting them at 3 Kegs and the Camp, you will have this bug.

Edited by Roxanne

This looks like a bug inherited from the original game.

While in the earlier SoD meeting with Dynaheir and Minsc (see BD0108.bcs), there is a check that both must be alive for them to spawn, this check is missing in BD1000.bcs. This means one can appear without the other, but the dialogue breaks off (when Dynaheir is due to speak) because it anticipates that both are present.

If one of them dies between recruiting them at 3 Kegs and the Camp, you will have this bug.

BDMinsc.dlg State 72 has no condition for an answer for that scenario

!See("dynaheir") // Dynaheir

!InParty("dynaheir") // Dynaheir

Dead("dynaheir") // Dynaheir

I've checked BD1000.BCS and there are indeed vanilla "!Dead" checkes for both NPCs, so the same probably could also happen in vanilla game (e.g. if you killed one of them in the BG tavern during SoD). I will add addional !Dead("minsc") to dynaheir spawn block and !Dead("dynaheir") to minsc spawn block in the next update. Thanks for reporting.

As for fixing the problem in your game - as mentioned, simply ctrl+y Minsc.

edit: on the other hand save file would be still useful. If Imp is right and that piece of meat is indeed Dynaheir then why is she even there in that form when there is a !Dead("Dynaheir") trigger already? Maybe proper flags has not been set or there is a vanilla SPRITEISDEAD reset in code that I didn't notice. I need to check if !StateCheck("Dynaheir",STATE_REALLY_DEAD) would work in this case and some other things related to it, so please upload the save from the beginning of SoD.

Edited by K4thos

So, considering I recruited only Minsc in BG1 (I installed the "allow NPC pairs to separate" component from SCS, if I remember correctly), that I will keep him as long as the plot allows me, and that I left Dynaheir for good, alive in Nashkell, should I encounter any strange situation?

Considering your explanation, I'm inclined to think that I will encounter them both again and again I will be able to recruit Minsc and discard Dynaheir. But correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Blash2

So, considering I recruited only Minsc in BG1 (I installed the "allow NPC pairs to separate" component from SCS, if I remember correctly), that I will keep him as long as the plot allows me, and that I left Dynaheir for good, alive in Nashkell, should I encounter any strange situation?

Considering your explanation, I'm inclined to think that I will encounter them both again and again I will be able to recruit Minsc and discard Dynaheir. But correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, if you consider the fact that the SCS wasn't build for the SoD in the first place, many things could happen.. the files involved need to be looked at to confirm, but most likely Dynaheir will be at the camp with Minsc... but after that it can be that you can't separate them or perhaps you can... but likely not.

yes, both are valid for continuous content in this case. This post explains how NPC continuity works in EET (using Dynaheir as example btw.)

This is most likely due to the missing MakeGlobalOverride() for Minsc/Dyna in Three Kegs, which may result in duplicate copies of them in the .GAM save file if you recruit them. This will be fixed in the official SoD patch.

I will be able to confirm it if MasterOfDisguise will upload the save. That would indeed explain why "Dead" trigger ignored Dead state (if Imp's observation regarding that meat chunks is correct – I would have never thought that few pixels on the screenshot represent poor Dynaheir).

Edited by K4thos

Well, if you consider the fact that the SCS wasn't build for the SoD in the first place, many things could happen.. the files involved need to be looked at to confirm, but most likely Dynaheir will be at the camp with Minsc... but after that it can be that you can't separate them or perhaps you can... but likely not.

But:

- SCS was made compatible with EET (I remember reading something like "SCS + K4thos EET fix" during installation);

- SCS, and so that specific component, is treated as EET compatible in BWS;

- As I understood, in EET the various campaign are treated simply like different areas of the same game engine and not as single separated game engines (technically SoD in EET is just a part managed by the BG2EE engine, and should obey to its rules);

I'd say I will be able to recruit both -> discard one -> lose both -> ask Minsc to join alone, as in BGEE.

But this is only a logical reasoning, based on little to none technical knowledge of the matter. Maybe K4thos can shed some light here.

Edit: Thanks K4thos, we wrote at the same time :p Could you also confirm that "Allow NPC pairs to separate" should work normally also in the SoD part?

Edited by Blash2
Edit: Thanks K4thos, we wrote at the same time :p Could you also confirm that "Allow NPC pairs to separate" should work normally also in the SoD part?

I never used this tweak. All I need to know regarding it is this part:

I'd say I will be able to recruit both -> discard one -> lose both -> ask Minsc to join alone, as in BGEE.

if it works like this than everything is fine since Dynaheir is alive.

That SCS tweak doesn't update SoD dialogues, so forced pairs dialogues in SoD will work the way Beamdog coded them (EET doesn't touch those dialogues either). If someone else won't be able to confirm what's Beamdog's implementation regarding it you will see if you can kick out Dynaheir without making Minsc leave once you're there.

Edited by K4thos

It's possible to separate them if you really want to. IIRC this works - kick both out, tell the first NPC to go to camp, and accept the second character back. The only "hardcoded" rule is that Edwin and Minsc/Dyna refuse to be together in party.