Various ToB hacks

Amazing!!! :party:

What this externalization are all about? (what hiding do You mean?)

Another [not that stupid] question, Is the visual range [or casting range] changeble beyond 30' radius? Ranged weapon are useless, as for me, coz You can't saw even another wall in room where Your character stand... crappy [as for me, again].

Still You have *non-stoppable* flag in your head, it's great!

What this externalization are all about? (what hiding do You mean?)

It hides those spells listed in hidespl.2da from the initial spell selection screen for wizards and sorcerers. And also from the level up spell selection screen for sorcerers.

Was implemented for Spell Revisions but if you have too many spells for one level and you want to make sure your sorcerer can pick the ones you want you could probably use it as well.

Another [not that stupid] question, Is the visual range [or casting range] changeble beyond 30' radius?

If I remember correctly, there were multiple places where the maximum for the visual range was hardcoded. Would be relatively hard to track them all down.

I haven't tried changing it yet.

Another [not that stupid] question, Is the visual range [or casting range] changeble beyond 30' radius?
Well, if you wish the spells to be cast-able to none visible target, you need to change the target type(external headers offset 0x000c) from 1 to 3(=Creature to dead char). Now, if you wish to change the range, you just need to change the range(external header offset 0x000e) to the feet amount you like it to be, but if it is more than 30 feet, you need to change both.

Now, you can do this in WeiDU easily, if you know few things about it and what you are doing and what spells you wish to change... Now, unfortunately there is no explanation in IESDP how to actually use the offset info on the page :party: , but Ardanis gave a good tutorial on it, when I asked. :)

One new component: "Scrollable" mage spellbook.

Well, not really scrollable (no scrollbar), but if you click in the upper or lower parts of the "next spell level" button and you have more than 4 spells, you should be able to scroll through them.

Warning: This is highly experimental, again more like proof of concept for me. The patch is hilarious as I broke nearly every rule I know about programming to fit the functionality in the relevant functions. (omitting frame pointer setup, passing things in registers, checking the return address, etc.)

It's probably as far as I'm willing to go with patching the executable. (Injection would be much easier.)

Guest temujin.

Well done, you supremely intelligent beast. Works flawless.

Is there a theoretical limit on how far you can scroll down? would the scrolling wrap around back to the start once you get to the 'end'?

And what about the priest spellbook? Arguably, that deserves the scrolling functionality much more than the mage's (as you don't get the chance in game to delete the known spells unlike in the mage spellbook).

Guest Guest_Anonymous_*

I'm trying to install your EXE hacks (mostly for the songlist "fix"), and it's not working. I have an otherwise ordinary ToB install, latest patch (26498), English language, and so forth. Ascension64's EXE patches work just fine, but none of yours will install ("Target bytes don't match"). And I mean literally none of them. Exactly which version of ToB are they designed for?

Is there a theoretical limit on how far you can scroll down? would the scrolling wrap around back to the start once you get to the 'end'?

There is a limit, since I store the scroll info in a byte. (So it should be 4*255 spells.)

No wrap around, I force some boundary checks.

And what about the priest spellbook? Arguably, that deserves the scrolling functionality much more than the mage's (as you don't get the chance in game to delete the known spells unlike in the mage spellbook).

Someday, maybe. :)

Archived