Obsidian's Project Eternity Kickstarter

aVENGER_(RR)

Man, fulfilling these stretch goals is addictive.

I got in on the early-bird special $20 tier for the game, but I upped it to $40 so I could get the expansion pack when it comes out. If you want to increase your pledge, check out the Add-on list here for details on cool stuff you can get for doing so.

If you haven't pledged anything, you can still get the game for $25! Do it now! Project Eternity Kickstarter

I pledged some money some time ago. I like Kickstarter as means for developers to collect funds for their project. But I strongly dislike the stretch goals concept. It makes me feel like the game will always be a bit "incomplete" no matter how much extra money is poured into the project. Come on, new races only if you hit a certain number?

I don't believe this to be a professional enough attitude (I am not speaking of Obsidian in particular but rather in general). You should ask money you need to make the game the way you have it in mind. Period.

Instead it becomes ludicrous. A second big city? New levels of depths?

It is a degeneration of the already unpleasant "downloadable content" concept and It follows closely the "size matters" and the "quantity over quality" approach, which I strongly disapprove of.

I pledged some money some time ago. I like Kickstarter as means for developers to collect funds for their project. But I strongly dislike the stretch goals concept. It makes me feel like the game will always be a bit "incomplete" no matter how much extra money is poured into the project. Come on, new races only if you hit a certain number?

I think they are just being realistic.

When they made the initial budget calculation ($1.1M) they knew what kind of game they could make with it - a small game. Additional features require extra development time and resources (i.e. a bigger team) so they were put in as stretch goals. Now, I'm not saying that a new race costs them exactly $100k, but they probably made an educated guess about the necessary man-hours and funds before announcing the stretch goals. BTW, the Kickstarter is now almost at $3.4M Adding in about 80k from PayPal, there's a good chance that the $3.5 goal will be met by the end of the day.

It is a degeneration of the already unpleasant "downloadable content" concept and It follows closely the "size matters" and the "quantity over quality" approach, which I strongly disapprove of.

I dislike DLCs too, but Obsidian has been fairly upfront about them so far. Basically, they want to make a full fledged expansion (like Tales of the Sword Coast) rather than release multiple small-scale DLCs like Bioware.

No, there's even one at 4mio now.

They added that at the last minute and now it was reached too! (with PayPal included) Over $4.1M in total!

I like how they decided to spend the extra money on polishing the game and further improving the existing content. The developer commentary sounds fun too.

Archived