Community Filename Prefix Reservations

In the light of the fact that the original home of registered prefixes has been unavailable for many weeks, I tried to find an archive of the prefix reservations list, so those modders who would like to register prefixes can do it.

I managed to get a version from 9 April 2004. This is not the newest, but contains most of the registered prefixes.

Many parts of it might be expired, if you see such, please post a correction.

I asked some modders and they agreed that the prefixes are the property of community, so there is nothing wrong in re-posting them now, considering their original home is unavailable.

If the original location gets active again, both places could be used to register prefixes, and the lists would be simultaneously updated.

Link to Prefix List

http://forums.blackwyrmlair.net/index.php?showtopic=113

Do you mean a link to this prefix list?

Absolutley :p

Sites such as G3 & PPG are bring people to the Modding community, this is one resource that if people propose to publish, they should know about before they start cutting code.

Ideally a single netconnected database should run this and each mod site have an update function. This list is our equivilant of the Internet Naming Authority :( Its possible to write conflicting mods if people don't respect the prefix allocation requests.

All of this is IMO.

Your idea is okay, pinning this topic is possible only by G3 forum staff though -- I can't do it. The Prefix List is quite important (if nothing then the number of registered prefixes shows that people find it useful -- I either, as it prevents mod compatibility problems)

Its possible to write conflicting mods if people don't respect the prefix allocation requests.

It's still possible to write conflicting mods even WITH prefixes especially if you have a larger group using the same prefix... one particularly lamentable incident involved overlap between Kelsey and the FW Item Pack.

While it's certainly possible to worry "too much" about prefixing, in general, yes, it's better to have than not to have.

Yeah that's a good advice to all modders.

At Black Wyrm, we use strict system so the case you mentioned won't happen. Every mod of us has a mod code too, it means that the community prefix (BW) and the mod's code (xy) are used for filenames, e.g. the filenames of BG1 Quest Pack start with 'BW07' This takes much from the filename but it's really no big deal to use the remaining 4 letters economically and suitably.

Well, no-one obviously, its just I imagine people will get confused trying to browse dialogues if they don't have the standard naming scheme.

People browsing dialogs? What do you mean? Mods are for players, and players should meet the dialog in-game. If modders want to browse among my dialogs, they are free to, but it's not my task to make my dialog filenames obvious as recognizing the files easily is only primary for the mod's author or developer team :)

Here is a quick update: I use P# as well on BG1NPC

An update for the prefix list, Domi? If so, I'll gladly add it, feel free to register and post a reply there :(

I browse dialogs because there are always misspellings, incorrect punctuation, and grammar errors to fix, not to mention unclear wording at times. Better to fix the errors than to pollute my TLK file with distracting text. :) Yes, it can ruin the surprise at times, but if quality control was better, I wouldn't have to bother. (Not to seem too hard on modders, I find lots of errors in Bioware's work too, including situations where spoken words don't match printed text. Ugh!)

Usually I try playing the mod first, but if I see several errors in relatively quick succession, I'm off to rewrite the text. It's hard for me to play the game with such distractions.

Its possible to write conflicting mods if people don't respect the prefix allocation requests.

It's still possible to write conflicting mods even WITH prefixes especially if you have a larger group using the same prefix... one particularly lamentable incident involved overlap between Kelsey and the FW Item Pack.

While it's certainly possible to worry "too much" about prefixing, in general, yes, it's better to have than not to have.

I continue to discourage group prefixing, because what's the point? It's hardly the end of the world if your files aren't all marked with your community insignia, especially when FARCTURE.

Edited by SimDing0