[released] Sir Ajantis for BGII mod

jastey

Glad you like it. I wasn't sure whether people would complain, with Tutu giving him two-handed prof and all.

I hope for a flirt with the word-play for a bastard sword for a paladin!!!
Maybe you could PM a lost ESL a hint of what kind of word play you are thinking?...

A bastard sword is a sword that is somewhere between a longsword and a two-handed sword in length. It has the same shape as a longsword, with a wide, straight blade tapering to a point, but it is larger and heavier. A strong man like Ajantis could wield it one-handed, but its hilt allows the placement of two hands for a more powerful swing, if the wielder hasn't got a 16+ strength.

I think it's the pun on the idea of a paladin using a weapon whose name suggests illegitimacy.

The name is probably French. I know that "batarde" when applied to calligraphy means something that is a cross between gothic and later chancery hands. In swords, it probably means that it's the lovechild between a longsword and a two-handed sword.

And if you feel like going a little more PG-13, you've got the phallic references along with the illigitimate child to throw in there as well.
That was my first thought exactly, and then I thought that Domi surely meant something else. :cry:

Since we are at it: Let me know any dialogue / flirt / etc. suggestions you would like to see. I am always on search for good ideas!

berelinde: Thank you for the explanations. And I like the thought of a lovechild between a longsword and a two-handed sword. With special reply options, depending on whether Casomyr or that crazy talking sword is around. ;)

Psst! Big spoiler...

Ajantis still dies, so there's no reason for Keldorn or Anomen not to notice. In fact, that was one of the things Jastey was working on with the Fixpack, to make sure that Garren didn't show up too soon for Keldorn/Anomen to say their bit.

The Windspeer Hill scene is unchanged, so Anomen's and Keldorn's remarks about Ajantis's death do fit nicely, they are even wanted.

As for mod content related to Ajantis's death - I guess I have to keep my eyes open, and will try to cooperate with other mod authors as I go along, but that's something on the to-do list for a later version.

EDIT: berelinde: I don't think that's a spoiler, I want people to know so I don't get "bug" reports and disappointed faces if players encounter an (almost) unchanged Windspear fight...

Update:

Am writing and coding a quest for engaged Ajantis, starting in Ust Natha (sometime, I will learn how to spell that city's name).

Edited by jastey

I've always been a fan of Ajantis's "down to earth" style. He always seemed very normal to me; a stereotypical Paladin, but without being dull. "He wore his true colors on his sleeves", or however that phrase goes.

My concern is that Ajantis still being killed will lead to him being resurrected. Now, resurrecting him is all fine and good, I suppose, if it means I'll get to have Ajantis in my party; but I'm a little concerned that it will be too spectacular for the character. The idea of some grand quest involving magic or divine intervention just seems out of place for the plain Paladin from BG1. Are my fears well founded, or am I sounding stupid right about now?

Not entirely sure. NPCs get raised from the dead on a regular basis in my party (mostly because I have the tactical foresight of algae), so there isn't an awful lot that's truly miraculous about it. I don't know. It might be fun to have to jump through a couple hoops to get a character in the party.

Not entirely sure. NPCs get raised from the dead on a regular basis in my party (mostly because I have the tactical foresight of algae), so there isn't an awful lot that's truly miraculous about it. I don't know. It might be fun to have to jump through a couple hoops to get a character in the party.

Oh, sure, I love a good quest. Not saying that. But part of Ajantis's charm for me is that he's very plain, without any secrets or demonic heritage or hidden agendas. Resurrecting him via a quest seems a bit too grand.

Not that I don't have faith in Jastey. She's a fantastic writer, as evident from the BG1 NPC Project. I wish you the best of luck, and know I'm rooting for you! ;)

Thank you for the kind words, Tameon the Dragoon!

Well, the quest to regain Ajantis is the main quest of that mod, but it's not Ajantis that got himself into it (by some heritage or because he's so important), it's just that he was one of the Order knights that where sent to the Windspear Hills (the others went the same way, btw.), and Firkraag wants to challenge the PC. So, basically he gest into trouble because of the PC, so to say, since an enemy of the PC choose to play with him and his comrades to show the PC his power (so far it all sounds like in original BGII, so no spoiler there I hope ;) ).

Hope that makes sense.

Ajantis won't be "easily recruitable", although I included a shortcut for those who do not want to go through the whole quest. In their ninth or so playthrough with Ajantis, for example. ;)