Dragonspear Romance bcs files

vanatos

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone knows how this works (using modmerge to unpack).

I can see files like bdrom07.bcs that seem to govern the romance talks with npc's in dragonspear, but i have no idea what references bdrom07 or how this script file is triggered.

Anyone know how this works?

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone knows how this works (using modmerge to unpack).

I can see files like bdrom07.bcs that seem to govern the romance talks with npc's in dragonspear, but i have no idea what references bdrom07 or how this script file is triggered.

Anyone know how this works?

There are a lot of trigger points throughout the SoD areas where *banters* are started. But instead of NPCs talking to each other like in other parts of the game, the text in the BCS file is displayed.

A discussion about this was held in this thread

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28215

Huh, thanks for explaining.

I guess that makes sense but it seems it would be easy to miss talks.

This is why the discussion referenced in the post above was started - many players missed those *talks*. In addition, when you play the continuos game with EET, it makes SoD significantly different from the rest of the game. And those area triggers let it even happen without checking party member conditions etc.

That "feature" was one of the least appealing things about NWN expansions. It obliterated immersion when, no matter who your NPCs were, they'd always speak up when crossing certain points in a map. I can't recall all the instances in the BG series where this happened, like at the tanner's in the Bridge district, but it was jarring there, too. It would have been nice if they had inserted a randomized timer.

Romance triggers are placed along the main plot path, so that you can't miss them. It was believed that some players may rush forward, well outpacing BG2-style timers, and miss the content as a result. Banters are not tied to triggers and use timers instead.

If I were making an NPC mod for SoD, I'd personally ignore the above things and do it the old proven style.

Archived