Discussion on balance of components (gender wise)

Rednard

There was a good spread in BG2 RE between gender's, but content for male PC's is extremely lacking. Which is rather disappointing - because RE is always very well written and designed. I love the little quirky fun encounters and especially the ones that help to grow characters that were left rather lacking. But I counted at least 20 actual romantic encounters exclusive to females PC's or PC's who are bisexual, and 6 for hetero male PC's.

The females get Scar, Duke Eltan, Melicamp, Slythe and Krystin, some growth on already memorable characters. And I'm stuck with some random NPC's who were barely recognizable (Kim, Laurel). I thought there would be something from Safana or Skie, or even the ruthless Cythandria, hell even the Succubus in Durlag's Tower. I just wanted some characters I already knew to be explored.

It's a great mod all the same, beautifully written and crafted, but maybe in the future, you could consider us guys! :D

I'm not sure if I get the problem. As a male character you may have an encounter with many females: Kim, Laurel, Lina, girls from Purchased Love (Ariane, Harlots, Summer Umbrella, in Harvestmen Lair you can "hire" a drow female to please you; there are Arlene are Della May.

...if you play a male character and you want to have encounter with another male character, there are: Bardolan, Bjornin (it's more like taking care of the injured paladin), Hull, Melicamp, male drow drom The Harvestmen Lair, Left...and some more.

Yep there are some exclusive encounters for female characters.

If I were to say that something is missing, I would rather shoot for lesbian options for female PCs...

There not many female characters you can extend (I myself wouldn't extend Safana or Skie because those are NPCs and there are some dialogues in BG1 NPC Project and it's not always a good idea to have 2 or more mods that add dialogues for the same NPC, as in the end you get a very strange mix). Well, there is Tamoko but she's VERY difficult to extend.

If someone has some ideas, you can give it a shot, write and send the material to one of the RE1 writers. We would be happy to inform all the other authors about possible new content.

Yes, thank you for the feedback. It's not the intention to provide less options for male PCs with female NPCs. It's more a question of who writes encounters. All encounters were written because the authors wanted to, not to level the encounters between the genders. I fear it will be so in the future, too.

Thanks for your feedback :D

I just wanted some characters I already knew to be explored.

Right now the only plan on my work list for canon characters is Tamah the ex-statue, who is pretty obscure, and I don't think I could write Skie or Safana well. Will think on the others you mentioned, though. Ooh - Officer Vai?

Do you mean like patching your own lines into an existing dialogue?

I've found InfinityExplorer useful for dialogues - it shows them in trees and makes it very easy to read what's going on as a whole. It also gives the state numbers and the associated actions.

There are some basic tutorials for writing in .d (but the tutorial index isn't working so well, so Forum Search + Tutorial Title would be your friend there). In general, if you're patching, EXTEND_BOTTOM and INTERJECT_COPY_TRANS are the first commands to use. Tell us about what you're planning, and we can give more specific advice.

New content! Wohoo! :)

-I'd advise on working with a decompiled .d file to see best which dialogue state you want your new reply options added to. But then, I come from a technical/IT background so reading code is nothing unusual for me.

If you are uncertain, just ask

Hey, I've been goofing around with the idea of writing something for Dreppin. He's a goof, but it's actually his droppleganger who makes me want to do it- the creature yells at you because "I would have followed you, if you asked" or something surprisingly sweet like that. And one really can't tell how much older he is then the PC... I mean, you and Imoen are implied to be the only 'kids' (I feel old, calling 20 year olds kids...), but five or ten years older isn't bad.

I use infinity explorer, too, for reading dialogs: I find the tree much easier to follow then DLCPT. If you're running off the EE edition, though, you have to do a bit of work to set it up. In to the main directory (mine is D:/Black Isle/BG II EE or whatever), you'll want to put the baldur.ini file (you'll find that in your Documents / Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition' area; just copy it over) and then your dialog.tlk (in your lang/en_US folder if you're using the English language in the main directory). That'll allow Infinity Explorer to open the EE's, too. From there, it's pretty standard.

(And, as always, the best way to combat the gender inequality in components is to write a component yourself, woo.)

I'm not sure if I get the problem. As a male character you may have an encounter with many females: Kim, Laurel, Lina, girls from Purchased Love (Ariane, Harlots, Summer Umbrella, in Harvestmen Lair you can "hire" a drow female to please you; there are Arlene are Della May.

...if you play a male character and you want to have encounter with another male character, there are: Bardolan, Bjornin (it's more like taking care of the injured paladin), Hull, Melicamp, male drow drom The Harvestmen Lair, Left...and some more.

Yep there are some exclusive encounters for female characters.

If I were to say that something is missing, I would rather shoot for lesbian options for female PCs...

There not many female characters you can extend (I myself wouldn't extend Safana or Skie because those are NPCs and there are some dialogues in BG1 NPC Project and it's not always a good idea to have 2 or more mods that add dialogues for the same NPC, as in the end you get a very strange mix). Well, there is Tamoko but she's VERY difficult to extend.

Cherilane is romanceable by female PC's... I noticed the lack of female/female romances in BG1, so I deliberately added different content for male or female players. When she quotes her selection of erotic poetry, the poems she quotes for female players is different than for male players. A little bonus for players who replay with different PC's...

I noticed about Dreppin, too. Because he does sort of flirt with <CHARNAME>. "Stick with me and we'd... well, we probably wouldn't leave Candlekeep..."

Funny thing is I always imagined Dreppin to be.. old... or... I don't know. Too old, for sure. Or maybe he was just too grumpy with my PC because the reaction check in Candlekeep prologue only gives the friendly answers if the PC starts with 18 CHA.

Different content for male / female PCs if the character is romanceable by both is great. Not only for replayability but also for feeling treated individually while playing it.

Hull is the same way. If the character starts with CHA 18, you get more gold for fetching his sword and a sweeter answer. Paladins need the CHA 18 in order to keep characters like Khalid from breaking ranks during tough battles, but other types of characters tend to use CHA as a dump stat. Clearly we are seeing a case or two of discrimination against the ugly... ;-)

The thing is, I started a game with a paladin with CHA 17 - and Hull gave me his unfriendly "did you take a long time"-talk. This made me realize that the game's way of calculating the reactions is not suited for Candlekeep where you start with average rep... (I think the bg1re Hull component changes this to the friendlier reaction, at least it was discussed in the workroom. I couldn't imagine having an interlude with someone who just told me off).

Archived