New Guy Full of Questions

Haplo

Hey guys, I'm new in the forum, tho I've been playing BG and IWD for a looooooooooong time :)

I decided to go an step farther and try to become a modder and make some mods, nothing fancy at the beggining, just some NPC to populate my game and kill or be kill beside me :p

anyway to the bussines, I've downloaded the DLTCEP, but I'm not sure that is what I need to start making mods, or if there are several tools for several mods... (1 tool to create NPC, 1 tool to create weapons, ect....) and then another one install them inside BG.

Just need someone to tell me what I need to start with and then I will read the tutorials that apply.

oh, one more thing, all that I want to create is for BG2 + ToB

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to mod BG2, you will need to become familiar with WeiDU. As Wisp says, it is the main tool for all kinds of modding.

I can't tell you much about making items. They aren't really my forte. I do have a little bit of experience with NPC mods, however. Tutorials are all well and good, but some people find it easier to just take an existing NPC mod, pull it apart, and use it as a basis for making your own mod. I did, anyway. If I were you, I would choose a really simple, straightforward mod without any kind of quest, romance, or other bells and whistles. Something like Ghareth, link: http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=content&task=blogcategory&id=113&Itemid=84 . Once you understand how the files are pieced together, you can add things like scripted dialogues, quests, and the like.

One piece of advice: Code as you go. Do not write first and "save the coding for later". It is the best way I know to ensure that you will never complete your NPC. If you get stuck, ask! You are far more likely to get help if you post "This is what I want to do. This is what I tried. What am I doing wrong?" than it is to post "How do I code an NPC?"

OK, I lied. Two pieces of advice: Test as you go, as well. Do not save it all for the end (like I do...). I'm still finding bugs in mods I wrote >6 years ago. Also, it will make it easier for people to help you fix things if they break.

Above all, don't be afraid to ask questions. If you are making progress, people will help you resolve issues, but it is harder to get help when your goals are vague.

Cool, thanks for the advices :)

I've been eating several tutorials since I posted and I'll keep doing that and from there move foward

and don't worry I'm not shy about asking questions so... there will be plenty coming, hehehe

gonna kep studiying those tutorials

thanks again :)

Bueh... so as it is, I been following the create and NPC tutorial... creating the dialog is not an issue, now I'm in the CRE part and, is not working as it should.

I open the shadowkeeper, then open a character (there're 4 options by default, Fighter, Cleric, Thief and Mage), so I open one of them and change the stats and colors... etc, and I rename it and save it.

Then I open the near infinity, but when I go to the character folder, there are only those 4 by default, and the one I created isn't, and I cannot find it anywhere.

the thing is that, back in the shadowkeeper is there, therefore is created and saved..... why then the near infinity do not see it??

:(

New problem..... so I follow the tutorial and made the tp2 file, now I just need to lunch WeiDU and get the install done but.....

it doesn't even begin, it say this:

WeiDU v 185 Log

C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\Setup-Dayne.exe.exe

{SETUP-DAYNE.EXE.DEBUG} Queried (pid = -1)

Can't find the problem, I went throught all the files, D, BAF, and TP2 and all seems fine....

Any suggestion??

Can't solve this one..... :(

installing [Dayne for BG2:SoA]

Copying and patching 1 file ...

[Dayne/r#arthur.cre] loaded, 5748 bytes

Copied [Dayne/r#arthur.cre] to [override/r#arthur.cre]

Compiling 1 dialogue file ...

BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD4\/data/Default.bif]

BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD3\/data/Default.bif]

BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD2\/data/Default.bif]

BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD1\/data/Default.bif]

BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\/data/Default.bif]

[C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\/data/Default.bif] 5847739 bytes, 444 files, 0 tilesets

[TRIGGER.IDS] parsed

[Dayne/R#sir.d] PARSE ERROR at line 20 column 1-2

Near Text: DO

syntax error

[Dayne/R#sir.d] ERROR at line 20 column 1-2

Near Text: DO

Parsing.Parse_error

ERROR: parsing [Dayne/R#sir.d]: Parsing.Parse_error

ERROR: compiling [Dayne/R#sir.d]!

Stopping installation because of error.

Here:

BEGIN R#Arthur

IF ~NumTimesTalkedTo(0)~ THEN BEGIN Talk1

SAY ~Hi. I am Sir Arthur Dayne "The Sword of the Morning", I come from a far away land, Westeros.

I was a Knight of the Kingsward, sworn to protect the King for life, have no wife and father no children, but my king was

slain for one one of my Sworn brothers, the Kingslayer, and now I'm looking for worthy companions to protect and defend

the weak and the unable to protect themselfs.~

IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Then I'm the one you're looking for mate, Join me and together we shall vanquish the evil of these lands ~ GOTO HiThere

IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Get the fuck out of my way u fool.~ GOTO EndTalk

END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN HiThere

SAY ~Sure, my sword is yours as long as your cause is just~

DO ~SetGlobal("R#ArthurJoined","LOCALS",1) JoinParty()~ EXIT

IF ~~ THEN EXIT

END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN EndTalk

SAY ~(sigh) Guard your tongue sir.... or else you'll lose it, along with your head.~

IF ~~ THEN EXIT

END

IF ~NumTimesTalkedToGT(0)~ THEN BEGIN Talk2

SAY ~Huh, You again "sir"~

IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~I apologize for my loose tongue Sir Dayne, I've been captured, tortured and a dear friend has been taken.

I would gladly welcome the company of such a worthy companion as you~

SAY ~Apologies acepted, my sword and life are yours as long as your cause is just~

DO ~SetGlobal("R#ArthurJoined","LOCALS",1) JoinParty()~ EXIT

IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~I was just pasing by.~ EXIT

END

BEGIN R#ArthurP

IF ~Global("R#ArthurJoined","LOCALS",1)~ THEN BEGIN LeaveGroup

SAY ~Please, reconsider, there is so much good that we can do together~

IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~My mistake, please stay.~ DO ~JoinParty()~ EXIT

IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Fuck off before I kill you myself~

SAY ~That mouth of yours will be your undoing, I'll restrain my sword for the fondness I bear u~ EXIT

END

IF ~Global("R#ArthurJoined","LOCALS",0)~ THEN BEGIN ComeBack

SAY ~Do you come to Apologize and have me back?~

IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Yes,Welcome back.~

DO ~SetGlobal("R#ArthurJoined","LOCALS",1)JoinParty()~ EXIT

IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Nope, just passing by.~ EXIT

END

WeiDU doesn't like the placement of your action. Anywhere you want to use DO ~Something~, make it look like this

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN state

SAY ~I'm saying something here.~

IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("##SaidSomething","GLOBAL",1)~ EXIT

END

If you have multiple actions, such as you would have if your NPC joined the party, they can all go between the tildes at the end.

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN state

SAY ~Thanks for letting me join.~

IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("##SaidSomething","GLOBAL",1) JoinParty()~ EXIT

END

Archived