Is this still going?

Celestyn

The forums for Haer'Dalis now appear as a sub-forum of Inactive projects. If you go to the main forum page, you should no longer see the forum there, unless your browser is updating the page in a very strange fashion.

Also, if you look at the forum path on top of this thread, it should read:

> The Gibberlings Three Forums › Unreleased Projects › Inactive Projects › Haer'Dalis Romance

Your bookmarks will likely still work, but maybe their names are being preserved despite the changes.

The forums for Haer'Dalis now appear as a sub-forum of Inactive projects. If you go to the main forum page, you should no longer see the forum there, unless your browser is updating the page in a very strange fashion.

Also, if you look at the forum path on top of this thread, it should read:

> The Gibberlings Three Forums › Unreleased Projects › Inactive Projects › Haer'Dalis Romance

Your bookmarks will likely still work, but maybe their names are being preserved despite the changes.

Ah, okay. Thanks! Now I have the correct page. And I see the itty bitty inactive icon! :)

:p Now, this is what I hate! This mod is why I kept visiting G3 since 2004. (yea, I wasn't a member then), and all I ever found were that JPS guy's excuses! AAAAAAARGHHH! If a modder doesn't feel like working on a project anymore, it really *would* be logical for them to pass it on! Unless they want to harvest all the glory for themselves (and possibly never actually make it)... But this JPS guy always acted as if someone was beating him into making HDR! :p (well, I'd certainly beat him now if he was here) Of course, if he were to return, I'd bless him instead, but it's not going to happen, is it?

Kania Blade, were you serious about your own HDR? If you were, I'd love to help. Well, I don't exactly speak Russian, and my English surely isn't perfect, but more people can take care of more things... I guess? Anyway, tell me at least you are alive :D !

HD is a BioWare NPC, which means he's up for grabs to anyone that wants to write his romance.

Even if the modder was still actively working on this project, that would not prevent anyone else from developing their own.

There is more than one Nalia romance, for example.

'Typing' only as an impartial observer, I think you can make the bulk of a mod like this by just writing up the dialogues. Have 2 or more exchanges between all the standard NPCs, same for custom NPCs if you want; a lot of talk with the main character, or just a couple if you want HD to interact mostly with one (or more) of the other NPCs. Anyone can do this, especially someone who really loves the character in question.

This last option is what I really like about Tortured Souls mod, in that two NPCs were romancing each other, my PC is just there as an audience. Not everything has to be about the main character.

Once you got all the dialogue, then tickle someone to script it for you. Actually, you get better response once you've done almost all of the work, as dialogue scripting shouldn't be as hard as other modding. Wasn't this the process with the new Tashia version?

Again as impartial commenter, I'ld love to see a mod where Haer is not the skirt-chaser but the skirt-being-chased, if you get my meaning. Also an expansion of his and Aerie's flirting/romance would be cool.

Heh, I think everyone mostly wants dalis to romance the PC, not Aerie.

Writing is the biggest part of it. As for tickling someone into coding, I dunno, seeing how it is so much faster/simpler to write interactive dialogues directly in D-format, it's probably waaay easier for someone to do the whole thing. The scripts are elementary, the D-format is well-documneted. (Shrug) It's just time-consuming to write 2 or more dialogue branches (which was the main attraction of JPS's version), research the lore, do extra quests, endless flirts, etc to make the romance comparable to modern NPC's one.

Ghost-coding presents unique challenges, because you tend to write differently when you are going to code it.

When you write it as a story arc, it is human nature to write in a very linear fashion, and dialogue branches from it are still very linear. When you write it directly into code, you tend to write in a completely different style.

Just an observation.

Archived