How to Create a Simple Weidu Mod to Compile One Dialog

Bill Bisco

First let me say these:
- the dialogue file in the game is a dlg. The ".d" file is the file in your mod that is to be compiled. This can contain any kind of syntax, not necessarily a new dlg name.
- don't call your custom dialogue states in your .d-file with plain numbers. Give them unique names, in my example, it is "mod_x". WeiDU will transform them into numbers upon compilation. This way, you prevent existing state numbers to be overwritten (for compatibility reasons - just in case there will be another mod adding to this chrarcter).

Then, there is an example in the weidu readme, in section 8.3. Searching for the term inside the document will bring it up (it is in the section for COPY_TRANS, which is also an important thing to know.)

The EXTEND_BOTTOM syntax would be like this. After that, you would use APPEND to add your custom dialogue states. I recommend looking at Kulyok's Branwen NPC mod, which is coded as an example, with explanations to see the syntax in action.

EXTEND_BOTTOM DEREVAIN 10
IF ~[your triggers, if any]~ THEN REPLY ~Erevain. I think you should join us.~ GOTO mod_12
END

APPEND DEREVAIN

IF ~~ THEN mod_12
SAY ~blabla~
IF ~~ THEN DO ~[your actions, if any]~ EXIT
END

END //APPEND

Alright I tried to interpret these instructions as best I can:

I have a folder named

Dialogfile

I have three items within this folder

DEREVAIN.D

Dialogfile.TP2

setup-Dialogfile.exe (renamed Weidu file)

DEREVAIN.D looks like this

IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Erevain, you're an able adventurer, you should join us.~ GOTO mod_12
END

APPEND DEREVAIN

IF ~~ THEN mod_12
SAY ~I think that's an interesting proposal. Let me think about it.~
~ EXIT
END

//APPEND

Dialogfile.TP2 looks like this:

BACKUP ~Dialogfile/backup~
AUTHOR ~Bill Bisco~

COMPILE ~Dialogfile/DEREVAIN.D~

Is there anything I missed or have wrong syntax with? I assume because I want to affect the DEREVAIN.DLG file, I by default the .D file must be named DEREVAIN.D correct?

Alright I tried to interpret these instructions as best I can:

I have a folder named

Dialogfile

I have three items within this folder

setup-Dialogfile.exe (renamed Weidu file)

The .exe needs to be outside, so when you move it and the folder, you can run the .exe in the game folder and the folder itself keeps the mods custom content inside itself, and the backup folder and so forth.

I assume because I want to affect the DEREVAIN.DLG file, I by default the .D file must be named DEREVAIN.D correct?

no. The name of your .d file is unimportant. The result of a .d file is only dependent of what is inside. You specified inside that the derevain.dlg should be affected, the .d file can have whatever name you want.

I assume because I want to affect the DEREVAIN.DLG file, I by default the .D file must be named DEREVAIN.D correct?

no. The name of your .d file is unimportant. The result of a .d file is only dependent of what is inside. You specified inside that the derevain.dlg should be affected, the .d file can have whatever name you want.

My only reference to the derevain.dlg was by:

Is that good enough? Weidu automatically knows that DEREVAIN is the DEREVAIN.DLG file to EXTEND_BOTTOM with?

Thank you much for your replies.

I got got some earlier errors and made some modifications. My files look like this now:

DialogFile.TP2 FIle

BACKUP ~Dialogfile/backup~
AUTHOR ~Bill Bisco~

BEGIN ~Dialogfile Mod v1.0~
COMPILE ~Dialogfile/DEREVAIN.D~

DEREVAIN.D File

BEGIN

IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Erevain, you're an able adventurer, you should join us.~ GOTO mod_12
END

APPEND DEREVAIN

IF ~~ THEN mod_12
SAY ~I think that's an interesting proposal.  Let me think about it.~
~ EXIT
END

I got this error message from Weidu:

UBow9I3.png

It doesn't like this Extend_Bottom Code for some reason. Any help would truly be appreciated.

Try this:

// You don't need a BEGIN unless you're starting or overwriting a new dialogue file.

++ ~Erevain, you're an able adventurer, you should join us.~ + mod_12
END

APPEND DEREVAIN

IF ~~ mod_12
SAY ~I think that's an interesting proposal.  Let me think about it.~ 
IF ~~ EXIT
END

END // closes the APPEND command

// (I used slightly more streamlined code - saves typing when you have a large .d file to create.)

Woo! That worked!

kcnYA7d.png

I feel empowered now! Thanks to all of you!

Out of curiousity, is there a way to add in a new dialogue option between dialogue options rather than just at the bottom? For example, in Erevain's default dialogue you say goodbye to him as the last option, but with this new extend_bottom dialogue, we're prodding for more information. Ideally, We would Extend us between option 2 and 3 as opposed to becoming 4.

E3mGPQ5.png

w00t!

Out of curiousity, is there a way to add in a new dialogue option between dialogue options rather than just at the bottom?

There is indeed:

#2  // this tells the compiler to put the new transition after Existing Transition 2.
++ ~Erevain, you're an able adventurer, you should join us.~ + mod_12
END

There's a fuller explanation here: http://www.weidu.org/~thebigg/README-WeiDU.html#EXTEND_BOTTOM (the language can be intimidating, but it's a very worthwhile read).

(But doing that is bad practice, as it shoves the existing reply option numbering and breaks other mods that e.g. ADD_TRANS_ACTION to a specific reply option, so for compatibility reasons you just add your reply option to the bottom, unless it's ToB Fate of Spirit Call for companions where all mods do EXTEND_TOP, more or less.)

Very well, I shall seek to refrain from using that, ugliness and obvious moddiness aside

How does the streamlined code work with options? I want to put in two conditional lines of dialogue. How would you code those with the pluses?

++ IF ~!Race(Player1, ELF)~ THEN REPLY ~What in the Nine Hells is an elf doing up here?~ + GOTO 2
  ++ IF ~Race(Player1, ELF)~ THEN REPLY ~Well met again brother.  How goes your journey?~  DO ~SetGlobal("Erevain_Met","GLOBAL", 1)~ GOTO 1

Thanks.

Archived