Platinum Coins for Modder use

Smiling Imp

A while back I had this idea of adding different types of coins into BG2 because in real life, they would not have just one kind of uniform gold coin.. Never really took off, but a lasting remnant of that are the platinum coins found in this mod. Some of the merchants in the Water Gardens will only sell certain rare items for platinum coins and I have added a few more items that can be bought with them. There is also a moneylender that will change platinum coins to gold and vice versa at four gold coins per platinum. (The real value of gold to platinum is 5 gold coins for 1 platinum)

What I am asking of any modders out there, is if they would add platinum coins to their mods. All you would really need to do is change the reward that some of the enemies in your mods give from random treasures into a few platinum coins. I greatly appreciate any that decide to participate as I think it will add some flavor to Amn and add some continuity between more mods. Below I have added an attachment that gives the item and BAM item icon so all you need is to copy the following into your .TP2 and you are platinum, baby! cool.gif

COPY ~"Insert your folder name here"/PLATNUM.itm~ ~Override/PLATNUM.itm~

SAY NAME1 ~Platinum Coin~

SAY NAME2 ~Platinum Coin~

SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC ~Platinum Coin~

SAY DESC ~Platinum Coin

Platinum coins are a form of currency. As a form of currency, these coins proved to be impractical: platinum resembles many less expensive metals, and, unlike the more malleable and ductile silver and gold, it is very difficult to work.~

platnum.zip

Are you worried about your retirement funds? Tired of seeing your gold lose value as it sits around in a horde?

2qi9vuq.jpg

Then you should invest your funds into platinum bullion and coins. Already, with the price of gold fluxuating thanks to the abundance of it brought in from Maztica, most prominent merchants have already switched to using platinum.

How can I get these marvelous coins for myself you ask? Well, just download the attachment in the first post. It will give you all you need to be rest assured that your financial future is secure. Don't take my word for it though, here is a tail from one of our satisfied customers.

skys5w.jpg

"I switched to platinum and have never felt more carefree when eating horses. Thank you Smiling Imp"

Heh. What you could do is modify rndtreas.2da so that instead of gold you get platinum sometimes. Wherever you see a number in that table, it's an amount of gold pieces found on an enemy as treasure. So for example, you could change 006 to mycoin (or whatever your coin item is) so that instead of 6 gold the party would find 1 platinum. I would do this for only a few values, so they're still relatively rare. I could also add it to Aurora components that do this sort of thing - "Realistic random treasures" and "Change creature gold carried."

http://readme.spellholdstudios.net/aurora-english.html#compon

Heh. What you could do is modify rndtreas.2da so that instead of gold you get platinum sometimes. Wherever you see a number in that table, it's an amount of gold pieces found on an enemy as treasure. So for example, you could change 006 to mycoin (or whatever your coin item is) so that instead of 6 gold the party would find 1 platinum. I would do this for only a few values, so they're still relatively rare. I could also add it to Aurora components that do this sort of thing - "Realistic random treasures" and "Change creature gold carried."

http://readme.spellh...ish.html#compon

Thanks Miloch, that would be awesome! Lollorian also mentioned that it might be better if I added it to the rndtreas.2da as it will not seem as intrusive, and suggested I check the coding in Aurora as an example on how it is done. I was going to have a look at it later tonight.

How is it supposed to work gameplay-wise? Platinum coins behave just like gems, and there are some stores with dialogue-based interface that checks for platinum?

Because that's the extent to which the engine would allow for a new type of currency. Been there, tried that.

I have to say, I really like this idea. It would give high-end transactions that special feeling, act as a gold sink for games that were broken by too much mod-introduced loot (heck, you end up with a lot of gold in the vanilla game anyway), and could even function as some kind of plot point in new mods. If a new version of Angelo were coming out any time soon, I would probably include this mechanic, and I would be interested to see others try it out.

Archived