Spell Immunity: Alteration v Time Stop

Mentioned over on the BioWare boards:

Posted 12/12/07 23:15 (GMT) by Starquizer

Why if I cast spell immunity to the school where Time Stop belongs I don't become immune to Time Stop, like the immunity from divination you can't be detected be True Sight or Oracle.

Thoughts on adding protection from Time Stop to SI: Alteration?

Note that this would be ToB-only since SoA doesn't have the relevant opcode.

But then, Immunity to Illusions would make you see through invisibility and mirror images, etc.
And Simulacrum, Project Image etc.

Immunity to Necromancy would repel the animated undead(or they wouldn't be able to attack)...

Immunity to Evocation would make Delayed Blast Fireball area damages 0...(that's against this char)

Immunity to Abjuration and they couldn't dispel any of your protections... and you would be able to go though theirs. Protection From Magical Weapons, not an object, nor an Improved Mantle, for +1 sword. :help:

Well, undead aren't Necromantic spells, so they wouldn't be affected, but Harm and so on should bounce off.

And Immunity to Evocation doesn't stop Fireballs? What does it do then?

I can't remember the spell description off hand, but if it states that the spell offers complete immunity to all spells of a particular school, regardless of power or level, then it probably should. The illusions thing is a little different though, as if one person sees through an illusion the whole party does and the spell shouldn't work that way. I'm not sure what would be best in that case.

Thoughts on adding protection from Time Stop to SI: Alteration?
It's a major tweak but i think it's quite understandable...Time Stop is supposed to be an uber-slow spell and someone immune to Alteration shouldn't be affected.
And Immunity to Evocation doesn't stop Fireballs? What does it do then?
It should stop them...but if i remember correctly it doesn't prevent area spells fired by the mage himself from harming him.
But then, Immunity to Illusions would make you see through invisibility and mirror images, etc.
I think this is debatable: Spell Immunity should protect the caster from harming spells imo, it shouldn't dispel anything nor removing buffs from enemies.
Immunity to Abjuration and they couldn't dispel any of your protections...
Actually Immunity to Abjuration should protect from dispel imo.
... and you would be able to go though theirs.
Why on earth?!! It's a protective spell not a magic attack spell!
Immunity to Necromancy would repel the animated undead(or they wouldn't be able to attack)...
Once summoned they are "real" creatures hitting the caster not a necromantic spell anymore imo.
Its a major balance change. I'd argue on the side of intended feature, though it would make an interesting tweak for a tweakpack or similar type of package.

A very interesting one. I'd play it(which, in my book, is enough to include it in every possible core package, including the vanilla unmodded game and the official patch), but, yep, a major balance change, so I'd say it looks like it's destined for either OBC or Tweaks.

One more thought: i'm quite positive about this tweak but it should be applied only if enemies spellcasters are able to use it against the player...if it isn't so it will became just another cheesy way to beat the already disadvantaged AI. Including this tweak in an AI-mod it's the only doable solution imo.

Well, undead aren't Necromantic spells,
Sorry, but what does it read in the top corner on this.

I can't remember the spell description off hand
Here.

Why on earth?!! It's a protective spell not a magic attack spell!
Well, if it harms your ability to damage your enemy, it's harm. :help:
Well, undead aren't Necromantic spells,
Sorry, but what does it read in the top corner on this.
Problem: the undead themselves aren't a necromancy spell, only the effect that creates them. Besides, by that logic, SI:E would grant immunity to attacks by a Mordy's Sword, and SI:C immunity to those by summoned monsters from:
  • Monster Summoning I, II, and III
  • Spider Spawn
  • Conjure (Lesser) Air/Earth/Fire Elemental
  • Carrion Summons
  • Invisible Stalker
  • Summon Nishruu/Hakeashar
  • Wyvern Call
  • Cacofiend/Summon Fiend/Gate
  • Summon Djinni/Efreeti

And on the priest side:

• Animal Summoning I, II, and III
  • Call Woodland Beings
  • Aerial Servant
  • Conjure Animals
  • Conjure Fire Elemental
  • Conjure Earth Elemental
  • Gate

I'm sure you can see the balance issues this would cause.

Yes,

Time Stop (Alteration)

Level: 9

Range: 0

Duration: Special

Casting Time: 9

Area of Effect: Special

Saving Throw: None

Upon casting a time stop spell, the wizard causes the flow of time to stop for one round in the area of effect. Inside the sphere, the caster is free to act for three rounds of apparent time. The wizard can move and act freely within the area where time is stopped, but all other creatures are frozen in their actions, for they are literally between ticks of the time clock. (The spell duration is subjective to the caster.) Nothing can enter the area of effect without being stopped in time also. When the spell duration ceases, the wizard is again operating in normal time. Note that all spells cast during the timestop will take effect immediately after time returns to normal.

Indeed. You're still protected from Alteration spells... you're just not moving.

And Lord knows these spells don't need to be anymore powerful. If we were really clever, we'd make all psionics and innates bypass them as they should; see how much you like it then.

Archived