Baldur's Gate inspired RPG, Black Geyser, launches Kickstarter

Can't see too many people flocking to mod it. BG and NWN stood out because there were few other games to compete with. Today, when games are dime a dozen, it's gotta take a lot more than nostalgia factor for a player to get heavily invested into a rather niche title. So, I think just not putting effort into obfuscating the game's architecture is enough to keep it open for a casual modder.

I'm not affiliated with the project (just a fan) but I personally see Black Geyser as a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate. The engine looks and operates an awful lot like the Infinity Engine. I like that they're going for a different take on paths that are not inherently good or evil. They've got a few interesting mechanics like reverse pick-pocketing.

I'm not affiliated with the project (just a fan) but I personally see Black Geyser as a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate. The engine looks and operates an awful lot like the Infinity Engine. I like that they're going for a different take on paths that are not inherently good or evil. They've got a few interesting mechanics like reverse pick-pocketing.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grapeocean/black-geyser-couriers-of-darkness/

I've merged your separate topic into this existing thread.

Prior to the Kickstarter, this project had been heavily advertised on the BWL site. (Links to forum posts would be redirected to an ad for the game.) I'm not sure what the connection is between the creators of the game and BWL.

Prior to the Kickstarter, this project had been heavily advertised on the BWL site. (Links to forum posts would be redirected to an ad for the game.) I'm not sure what the connection is between the creators of the game and BWL.

Fraudonius is an investor. The money he made off of Improved Anvil sales and swindling people like TheWizard were likely put back into this game.
Hope you make a lot of money, Baro. :)
You are riding off of BaldursGate's coattails now just like the way you rode off of IEGMC's coattails. Just be sure to pay him back... someday. ;)

Fraudonius is an investor.

Hmm. Now that I think about it, Baronius is probably a bit more than that.

Looking over at the kickstarter page, and given how the game's pricing 'rewards' are similar to the Improved Anvil pricing strategy from back in the day, I thought perhaps Fraudonius also plays a role in the 'marketing' department.

So I looked at the team behind this game and figured maybe one of these dudes must be Baronius.

Since Nick Macari is listed as a 'previous collaborator' [did he leave? why?] and Tony Ferguson doesn't sound 'Hungarian' enough.... that leaves three suspects.

Then I remembered my good old, trusty friend - TheWizard - and his exposure of Fraudonius.

At one point, he refers to Baronius as:

Really and truly, I have a sense of pity for you, David. I mean that. It's a shame that you took something that was created by me as a hobby and turned it into a monster.

I supposed it could just be a coincidence since David is a common name....

But could it be? :O :O

Is David Zakal = Baronius?

Over on the other thread, Baro claims he's just helping out a friend...

Our friends at Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness are launching their Kickstarter campaign this month.

friends... :D

Right. That must be a very close friend that you were willing to redirect every link to every forum post to an advertisement for the game for such a long time...

Or perhaps you just consider yourself as your own friend... :crazy:

I like how there is no outcry or "moderator action" over this fraud... :rolleyes:

Roxanne makes a few alts to promote her mod (which is wrong, no doubt) and the masses are ready to lynch her for being dishonest, yet Baronius is here doing exactly the same thing. Except far more sinister...

Since there's money involved.

Tens of thousands of dollars.

And nobody bats an eye. :undecided:

The world is a strange place.

Edited by Benny
What do you think, Ardanis?

Is Baronius just a friend helping out the Black Geyser team like he claims he is?

Or is he the kingpin - the one behind it all? ;)

If it turns out he is indeed the founder of this "Black Geyser" company, is it theoretically possible, in the worse case scenario, to take all (or most) of the money, not pay his employees, file for bankruptcy and disappear into oblivion? Does Kickstarter have any history of people scamming and running off with the funds?

I mean that's a LOT of money people are entrusting on this one, largely unknown dude... I bet the Fraudster took one look at Kickstarter's terms and conditions and confidently said to himself: "Ah! I see a few loopholes I can exploit in those terms and get away unscathed." :cool: