first impressions

kimmel

I installed SCS II this morning, just to see all of what it had in it, and then could not resist trying out a few battles... So here a few first impressions

1. here's my Weidu log--but note that my final installation will differ!

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods

// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod

// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // BG2 Fixpack - Core Fixes

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #1 // BG2 Fixpack - Game Text Update

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #2 // Super Happy Fun Lucky Modder Pack

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #3 // BETA Core Fixes (please check the readme!)

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #100 // Party Gets XP for Sending Keldorn to Reconcile With Maria

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #101 // Improved Spell Animations

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #102 // Cromwell's Forging Actually Takes a Day

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #103 // Mixed-Use Dagger Fixes

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #104 // Ghreyfain's Holy Symbol Fixes

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #106 // Giants Receive Penalties When Attacking Halflings, Dwarves, and Gnomes

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #107 // Remove Dual-Classing Restriction from Archers and Stalkers

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #108 // Remove Second Attribute Bonus for Evil Path in Wrath Hell Trial

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #109 // Corrected Summoned Demon Behavior

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #110 // Additional Script Fixes

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #111 // Bard Song Fixes

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #112 // Wizard Slayers Cause Miscast Magic on Ranged Attacks

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #113 // Additional Alignment Fixes

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #114 // Change Free Action to Protect Against Stun

~SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #0 // Ascension v1.41 (requires ToB)

~SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #1 // Tougher Abazigal (optional, requires ToB)

~SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #2 // Original Tougher Demogorgon (optional, requires ToB)

~SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #3 // Tougher Gromnir (optional, requires ToB)

~SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #4 // Tougher Illasera (optional, requires ToB)

~SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #5 // Tougher Yaga-Shura (optional, requires ToB)

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #10 // Detectable spells and effects (required for most other components)

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #20 // Allow Spellstrike to take down a Protection from Magic scroll

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #30 // More consistent Breach spell (always affects liches and rakshasas; doesn't penetrate Spell Turning)

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #50 // Iron Skins behaves like Stoneskin (can be brought down by Breach)

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #61 // Modify the Harm spell so it does damage rather than reducing target to 1 hp -> Enemy and player Harm spells both do 150 hp of damage

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #70 // Make individual versions of Spell Immunity available, so that players can use them in Contingencies etc.

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #90 // Blade Barrier and Globe of Blades only affect hostile creatures

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #100 // Cap damage done by Skull Trap at 12d6

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #110 // Make Minute Meteors into +2 weapons

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #140 // Move Vhailor's Helm into Throne of Bhaal

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #150 // Move the Robe of Vecna into Throne of Bhaal

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #160 // Remove unrealistically helpful items from certain areas

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #170 // Remove unrealistically convenient ammunition from certain areas

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #183 // Increase the price asked by Gaylan Baele -> Gaylan wants 100,000 gold pieces

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #190 // Make Watchers' Keep accessible between SoA and ToB

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #200 // Remove animation from the Cloak of Mirroring (leave it for other spells and effects that use the same graphic)

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #210 // Move Boo into Minsc's pack

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #220 // Improved general AI

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #230 // Improved calls for help

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #235 // Potions for NPCs

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #238 // Improved Spiders

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #240 // Improved fiends -> Fiends have fast, uninterruptable innate magic

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #251 // Smarter genies -> Genies cast spells like normal wizards

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #261 // Smarter celestials -> Celestials cast spells like normal wizards

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #270 // Smarter dragons -> Dragons have fast, uninterruptable innate magic

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #281 // Smarter beholders -> Upgrade the beholders found in the hive in the Underdark (borrowed from Quest Pack)

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #290 // Smarter mind flayers

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #300 // Smarter githyanki

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #310 // Enemy mages use Simulacrum and Project Image spells (this component will have no effect unless you install Smarter Mages)

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #320 // Smarter Mages -> Mages cast some short-duration spells instantly at start of combat, to simulate pre-battle casting

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #330 // Smarter Priests -> Priests cast some short-duration spells instantly at start of combat, to simulate pre-battle casting

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #340 // Add high-level abilities (HLAs) to ToB mages -> Only selected ToB mages get HLAs

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #350 // Add high-level abilities (HLAs) to ToB priests -> Only selected ToB priestss get HLAs

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #360 // Add high-level abilities (HLAs) to SoA mages -> Only selected SoA mages get HLAs

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #370 // Add high-level abilities (HLAs) to SoA priests -> Only selected SoA priestss get HLAs

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #380 // Improved d'Arnise Keep ("Tactics Remix")

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #385 // Enhanced Sendai's Enclave

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #401 // Increase difficulty of level-dependent monster groupings -> Significantly increased difficulty

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #410 // Improved minor encounters [almost no content yet]

~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #420 // Ease-of-use party AI

first impressions, cont.

2. when installing the "smarter priests" component, I first tried to install option 2: Priests only cast short-duration spells instantly at start of combat if they are created in sight of the PC

near the end of installing the component (I think), however, I got an error that ended installation of that component. I just discovered that the relevant info is no longer in my debug file, so I can't tell you what the error was, but I'll try to replicate it later today (sorry about that! something about dwnymph.baf, I think?). anyway, I reinstalled that component, choosing option 1 instead (general prebuffing), and everything installed just fine. (I tried out only option 1 for mages, fyi).

Edit: my installation of the smarter priests component, like Salk's, took forever (normal speed at first, then slow, but it seemed to be editing a ton of files, too...so maybe it wasn't so slow after all? I have no idea).

3. I actually installed SCS II in two parts; I had to quit for some reason, and did so after installing smarter priests, option 1. When I got back to installing, I was asked about each of the components I had already installed. Maybe you could add the option of skipping all of the already installed components?

4. minor typos:

Install Component [Add high-level abilities (HLAs) to ToB priests]?

[N]o, [Q]uit or choose one:

1] Only selected ToB priestss get HLAs

2] All ToB priests who can cast 9th-level spells get HLAs

two odd blanks in the readme, under "content"; I've put ??? in the gaps.

"The rules for demon summoning...assume that enemy mages (who, after all, have been learning magic far longer than :p) summon..."

"Enemy mages won't cast Imprisonment on :). If..."

5. I tried out TOB, the first battle with Illasera, as a FMC, and was quickly crushed. I think the difficulty is that a single protagonist at the default level when starting TOB just doesn't have the spells, stuff, or supporting characters needed to beat an intelligent and toughened party of 5. maybe you could do what default TOB does and just have Illasera face off vs a single not super-high-level char-name?

5a. oh, also, the reaper fellows seem to have been able to see through the invisibility I cast just before I died--they kept chasing and whacking "me" before my invisibility was dispelled by an arrow. are they supposed to be able to do that?

first impressions, cont.

2. when installing the "smarter priests" component, I first tried to install option 2: Priests only cast short-duration spells instantly at start of combat if they are created in sight of the PC

near the end of installing the component (I think), however, I got an error that ended installation of that component. I just discovered that the relevant info is no longer in my debug file, so I can't tell you what the error was, but I'll try to replicate it later today (sorry about that! something about dwnymph.baf, I think?). anyway, I reinstalled that component, choosing option 1 instead (general prebuffing), and everything installed just fine. (I tried out only option 1 for mages, fyi).

Got it: that's a bug in the tp2 file. I'll post an updated one shortly.

Edit: my installation of the smarter priests component, like Salk's, took forever (normal speed at first, then slow, but it seemed to be editing a ton of files, too...so maybe it wasn't so slow after all? I have no idea).

That's basically unavoidable, I think (well, it might be a bit optimisable, but it's going through every creature in the game and updating their priest and druid abilities - what it's trying to do is correct anomalies in people's levels, and to give them more sensible choices of spells.)

3. I actually installed SCS II in two parts; I had to quit for some reason, and did so after installing smarter priests, option 1. When I got back to installing, I was asked about each of the components I had already installed. Maybe you could add the option of skipping all of the already installed components?

That would be nice, but I don't think WEIDU allows it (not concurrently with using GROUPS, in any case, and I think they're necessary. In any case, GROUPS let you skip pretty quickly to the option you want to change.)

4. minor typos:

Install Component [Add high-level abilities (HLAs) to ToB priests]?

[N]o, [Q]uit or choose one:

1] Only selected ToB priestss get HLAs

2] All ToB priests who can cast 9th-level spells get HLAs

Got it - thanks.

two odd blanks in the readme, under "content"; I've put ??? in the gaps.

"The rules for demon summoning...assume that enemy mages (who, after all, have been learning magic far longer than :p) summon..."

"Enemy mages won't cast Imprisonment on :). If..."

The weird blank should read <CHARNAME>, the game's code for the protagonist, but I forgot that putting things in angle brackets does weird things in HTML.

5. I tried out TOB, the first battle with Illasera, as a FMC, and was quickly crushed. I think the difficulty is that a single protagonist at the default level when starting TOB just doesn't have the spells, stuff, or supporting characters needed to beat an intelligent and toughened party of 5. maybe you could do what default TOB does and just have Illasera face off vs a single not super-high-level char-name?

5a. oh, also, the reaper fellows seem to have been able to see through the invisibility I cast just before I died--they kept chasing and whacking "me" before my invisibility was dispelled by an arrow. are they supposed to be able to do that?

I don't touch this battle, actually - I think it's the Improved Illasera component of Ascension.

re #3, what I had in mind is the sort of thing that tactics permits:

The SETUP-TACTICS.TP2 mod has 38 distinct optional components.

To save time, you can choose what to do with them at a high level rather

than being asked about each one.

What should be done with all components that are NOT YET installed?

nstall them, kip them, [A]sk about each one?

What should be done with all components that are ALREADY installed?

[R]e-install them, ninstall them, kip them, [A]sk about each one?

But you know what Weidu can and cannot do far better than I can!

Thanks for the explanation, CamDawg!

@David: I'm still having trouble installing the SCS II smarter priest options 2 or 3; option 1 seems to install just fine, though.

When about a million files have been updated and the install is just about done, I get this error message, which I think is the same as before (but I did download and install your updated files):

ERROR: error compiling [scsII/priest/ssl_out/dw#nymph.baf]: Sys_error("scsII/priest/ssl_out/dw#nymph.baf: No such file or directory")

ERROR: compiling [scsII/priest/ssl_out/dw#nymph.baf]!

Stopping installation because of error.

Since there is a dw#nymph.baf in the file, I'm curious what the problem is. and whether I'm now the only one having this problem...

On the bright side, the goblins worked very well, drinking invisibility potions and backstabbing, when I played this morning. I hadn't memorized the right spells to remove invisibility, so they were kind of hard to kill, actually.

Thanks for the explanation, CamDawg!

@David: I'm still having trouble installing the SCS II smarter priest options 2 or 3; option 1 seems to install just fine, though.

Try now. (There was a typo which I was being too moronic to catch.)

Try now. (There was a typo which I was being too moronic to catch.)

Hey David--did you upload the files with the typo corrected? I can't seem to find them.

Just one general gameplay note, which I think you've heard before: my enemies tend not to switch intelligently between ranged and melee weapons, and when they have an option, they generally prefer the latter. That makes them a fair bit easier to kill. or, actually, it mainly makes them less good at hurting my party.

enemy use of potions is quite intelligent though! and so far the spellcasting makes sense, too. It's impressive how much enemy "pre-casting" at the beginning of a battle can change its difficulty!

Should have replied sooner, sorry. The uploaded files seem to have vanished, probably due to my incompetence. In any case I've made enough small changes that by now it's probably best for me to just upload another copy of the mod. I'll do it tomorrow (if I do it now I'll make some stupid mistake...)

Hi David,

I thought I should let you know that I'm going to have to lay off playtesting while I travel for a couple of weeks (to Italy, then Austria). leaving today... I'll check in when I return, though!

kimmel

No trouble - have a nice trip.

David

Well, I'm back and not too jet lagged, *I think*.

I seem doomed to post mainly about installation troubles... but anyway:

I just tried to install SCSII beta6, but had trouble when trying to install the general AI and calls for help. in both cases, right after typing "i" and enter, a wordpad txt popped up 3x: ssl.pl. After closing the documents the install continued, but I then had errors that stopped installation.

When trying to install the AI the error was:

dw#melee.bcs not found in KEY file: /chitin.key

ERROR: Failure("resource [dw#melee.bcs] not found for 'COPY'")

and when trying to install the calls for help the error was:

ERROR: error loading [scsII/help/ssl_out/help.baf]

Archived