Mod objectives

ericp07

Here are the four main goals I have in mind for my current mod project:

* introduce a new character, with defined personality and depth, into the game as a supporting/companion character for the PC

* familiarize the player with the distinguishing characteristics of a Sylvan elf, as opposed to other subraces, consistent with the game setting

* define and demonstrate the NPC's role as an agent who works on behalf of her patron deity

* allow for the possibility of a romance to form and develop between NPC and PC, under the right conditions, and hang the relationship's progress on the results of interaction between these two characters

Much of this should simply show through in the dialogues. The character has her own mission to pursue, which I'm arranging so that everything related to it happens along the PC's main story path, rather than requiring the party to move off track to take care of her business. Oh, that reminds me that I need to write in the reward for successfully completing the quest :laugh:

How does this look as a guide? As always, nothing is set in stone. I felt that stating the objectives would be helpful, even if they're obvious. Feedback of any kind is very welcome!

Happy modding,

Eric

It's all great, but the second and third options are a little scary. There is real danger that her lovetalks may turn into lecturing on Sylvans, or on elven gods. I mean, when a feisty, laughing girl suddenly starts to behave like a 3rd edition D&D sourcebook, it might seem a little strange. Then again, other mod authors avoided this pitfall in various ways - Kivan, for example, tells of his deity via his hatred for Tazok, telling of *his* personal experience, and it makes it personal and interesting for the player, too. Then it may work well.

It's all great, but the second and third options are a little scary. There is real danger that her lovetalks may turn into lecturing on Sylvans, or on elven gods. I mean, when a feisty, laughing girl suddenly starts to behave like a 3rd edition D&D sourcebook, it might seem a little strange. Then again, other mod authors avoided this pitfall in various ways - Kivan, for example, tells of his deity via his hatred for Tazok, telling of *his* personal experience, and it makes it personal and interesting for the player, too. Then it may work well.

Good points to keep in mind. I do want to avoid so-called infodumps, and keep conversation relative relevant, and somehow manage to maintain the majority of focus on the PC and his/her concerns through the game. Still plenty of room for options at this point.

Thanks!

Eric

I would suggest only giving info when it is directly relevant to the character, not the other way around. Her personality should be paramount, not your objective to teach players about sylvan elves. Having her say "I struggle with being inside cities, because sylvan elves don't like being confined" would ruin immersion for me.

Don't have conversations solely centered around lore. I don't want to hear an NPC telling me about their home city and its rulers unless it is directly relevant to the character, and the character has some specific reason for telling me this beyond "hey PC, this is interesting."

Lore should be minor, and incidental. Her personality is far, far more important. Show, don't tell.

I would suggest only giving info when it is directly relevant to the character, not the other way around. Her personality should be paramount, not your objective to teach players about sylvan elves. Having her say "I struggle with being inside cities, because sylvan elves don't like being confined" would ruin immersion for me.

Don't have conversations solely centered around lore. I don't want to hear an NPC telling me about their home city and its rulers unless it is directly relevant to the character, and the character has some specific reason for telling me this beyond "hey PC, this is interesting."

Lore should be minor, and incidental. Her personality is far, far more important. Show, don't tell.

That's becoming the direction in my mind, most recently, bounced back and forth a bit with the other way around. And yes, I'll remain aware of having ideas phrased in a conversational, and not a teaching, way. I've got very large amounts of lore resources that I know I'll either not use, or else take just a short snippet of detail if a topic should be relevant. As with the quest, I don't want dialogue to get too far off the beaten track, unless it somehow drives the story or otherwise enhances play.

- E

So, in the interest of accomplishing the goals I stated:

* introduce a new character, with defined personality and depth, into the game as a supporting/companion character for the PC

This is probably best handled by writing dialogue in such a way that the details are embedded in discussions of various things, instead of being presented as flat statements (and again, instead of lecturing the PC).

As for personality and depth, I hope to be able to write Erysseril's spoken lines in a way that illustrates her as a person of action. She's strongly sensual and intensely emotional, but not "loose" and not temperamental.

I don't want her to be too jovial, as she's not really a wild carouser. She should come across as exotic, unrefined, and naive, being from a far away place and far less familiar with areas that aren't woodsy. She should be emotionally adaptable to changing circumstances and different relationships, and possess a keen, sharp, ingenious and resourceful mentality. Her mind is slow to reason, but once a conclusion is reached, she does not easily change. She prefers to gather opinions before moving to action.

Respect for individualism is most important to her. Erysseril is very generous to children and to charitable organizations. I want to portray her as kind, spiritually minded, energetic, merciful, and driven. Accepting of others. Compassionate. Understanding. Self-sacrificing. Perceptive (nearly impossible to surprise).

She has a strong sense of loyalty. The hub of her universe is security, both physical and emotional.

Her compassion might be her greatest strength and her greatest weakness at the same time. If she has a flaw, it's in her drive to be self-reliant. Having lost her father, who she greatly admired (and depended on, along with her mother, while she grew up), she's come to believe that it's better not to be too dependent on other people, when you never know if you'll lose them from your life. If she takes this view to extremes, it could be to her disadvantage. Her association with the PC, and working in group settings, will help her to maintain perspective, and moderate this point of view, teaching her that there's still value in being part of a team at times. Another area for improvement might be that, on occasion, Erysseril becomes deeply troubled by unfortunate conditions and inner frustrations. She also keeps these feelings private while making the appearance of being unaffected or unhurt.

Erysseril is honest, and an optimist, and more extroverted than introverted, once she warms up to someone's company. She's a peacemaker when she can be, as she dislikes disputes between friends. She was born with a way with animals, and with a strong intuitive sense. Erysseril's not experienced with etiquette, or with bluffing to intimidate another. Maybe there's opportunity for some humor there :) She has a certain hard realism that means excessive domination and a tendency to be jealous of loved ones. This might even cause her to be overly aggressive sexually, if she becomes romantically involved, unless or until she learns better. She rarely shows temper or anger, except in extreme circumstances. Lacking a firm grasp of currency, any money she has on hand, after seeing to immediate practical needs, is likely to be spent frivolously on friends and loved ones. She's very fond of beautifying mundane items, especially those she makes from leather.

Not all these details will be easily incorporated into game dialogue and action, but I'm hoping to use as much as possible to paint a complete picture of the kind of person Erysseril is. Any advice, or other feedback, regarding any of this, is most welcome!

Happy modding,

Eric

* familiarize the player with the distinguishing characteristics of a Sylvan elf, as opposed to other subraces, consistent with the game setting

This, I think, will bear out easily enough through conversation, just little bits of information sprinkled among dialogues. It's all for flavor, anyway, as none of the characteristics translate directly into advantages or disadvantages in game mechanics (none that I'm aware of, anyway). Mostly, the distinguishing characteristics are physical appearance, as they have coppery skin, and are more heavily built than other elves. Lifestyle habits would also fall under this category.

- E

* define and demonstrate the NPC's role as an agent who works on behalf of her patron deity

Erysseril will outline what it means to be a Needle in Mielikki's service (and why she reveres a non-Seldarine deity), and display it in expressing her interests as a caretaker of forests and natural creatures. Should the game reach any of the solstices or equinoxes, or Midsummer night, she'll mention that it's a special feast in her faith, and brief interaction with the PC can ensue. She can also make relevant comments throughout the game.

- E

I'm very interested to know if the objectives stated are reasonable, and if anyone has advice on how best to achieve them. A growing concern with writing dialogue is that I don't want the player to feel that Erysseril is talking the PC's ear off with commentary.

I've set up a few instances where Erysseril has a random chance of spotting specific healing herbs that grow wild in certain kinds of terrain. She spots the herb, mentions it to the PC, and PC either knows what it's used for, or asks her about it, and she explains its use and potency. This is purely scenery dialogue, though, as I've made no provision for the characters acquiring and using an herb as a useful item in the game. So, I ask if it's worthwhile to include this material, if there's no in-game benefit to the characters. I could either leave those dialogues as they are, skip them, or create little herb items that will assist slightly in healing wounds. The herb items would allow faster than normal healing rate for a short period of time.

Comments welcome on any or all of this, as usual :)

Thanks,

Eric

Erysseril's story is also about a young woman's first experience in a romantic relationship, thereby blossoming into full womanhood in that respect. The romance isn't written as an idealized relationship, but I want it to be fairly realistic (meaning believable). She's primarily concerned with self-reliance and security, and association with the PC (and party, when part of a group) will help her to learn that there's value in being able to rely on others when needed...and possibly to be more eager to help others, and not be as self-absorbed and aloof as many Elves are seen to be by other races.

Not sure why I'm writing this, other than it helps me to focus on ideas for content.

Happy modding,

Eric

That's becoming the direction in my mind, most recently, bounced back and forth a bit with the other way around. And yes, I'll remain aware of having ideas phrased in a conversational, and not a teaching, way. I've got very large amounts of lore resources that I know I'll either not use, or else take just a short snippet of detail if a topic should be relevant. As with the quest, I don't want dialogue to get too far off the beaten track, unless it somehow drives the story or otherwise enhances play.

- E

OK, so focus more on behavior, and give details from an individual viewpoint, rather than from a racial viewpoint. I see that this approach will help to avoid making Erysseril into a "generic" Sylvan Elf. Got it :)

- E

Well, I think focusing too much on a character's race or country is bad. So is 'lore-dumping'. But adding enough to make players remember there is a wider world is good. Look at Kivan or Xan by Kulyok - both are a good example of doing that.

I did some 'highlighting' of Calimshan as a country in my Khalid mod and will probably do the same in Safana mod, should I do her. But it's in talks where it makes sense, and not only as a 'lore-dump'.

For example, he comments on the beauty of Suldanessellar and then asks Jaheira if she has ever been there earlier, to which she says she hasn't, because Suldusk and Elmanesse were too secretive before they banded together, which was only four years prior.

Or, for most of ToB he comments on the history of conflicts between Tethyr and Calimshan, seeing as the action takes place close to the border.

Or he uses Calishite patronymics when talking to Calishite people (the trader in Waukeen Promenade, Zakee Rafeha, Baron Ployer).

Well, I think focusing too much on a character's race or country is bad. So is 'lore-dumping'. But adding enough to make players remember there is a wider world is good. Look at Kivan or Xan by Kulyok - both are a good example of doing that.

I did some 'highlighting' of Calimshan as a country in my Khalid mod and will probably do the same in Safana mod, should I do her. But it's in talks where it makes sense, and not only as a 'lore-dump'.

For example, he comments on the beauty of Suldanessellar and then asks Jaheira if she has ever been there earlier, to which she says she hasn't, because Suldusk and Elmanesse were too secretive before they banded together, which was only four years prior.

Or, for most of ToB he comments on the history of conflicts between Tethyr and Calimshan, seeing as the action takes place close to the border.

Or he uses Calishite patronymics when talking to Calishite people (the trader in Waukeen Promenade, Zakee Rafeha, Baron Ployer).

Very cool! I can relate this to Erysseril's own situation. She wouldn't bring up details about her home forest of Cormanthor out of the blue. Fortunately, there's a kind of tree that's local to the so-called Lands of Intrigue (Amn, Tethyr, Calimshan) that's also found in her home woods. She'll comment about it when she sees it. As for her race, she might comment on what another Elf in the game says or does if she finds it inconsistent with her own people's ways. I'm also making use of Race(Player1,ELF) as a condition for some things she says (including nearly all her use of Elvish, which will be minor, added for effect). Now that I think of it, I should probably have her say something to that anti-Elf racist guy who stands by the fountain in Waukeen's Promenade area :)

Thanks!

Eric

Erysseril will outline what it means to be a Needle in Mielikki's service (and why she reveres a non-Seldarine deity), and display it in expressing her interests as a caretaker of forests and natural creatures. Should the game reach any of the solstices or equinoxes, or Midsummer night, she'll mention that it's a special feast in her faith, and brief interaction with the PC can ensue. She can also make relevant comments throughout the game.

- E

Keeping the "show, don't tell" advice in mind, it might better serve my purposes to have Erysseril act moreso than talk, and then the PC can comment or ask questions, drawing responses from her, rather than her calling a halt to the party's progress to drop pearls of wisdom.

Better?

- E

Archived