Paired NPCs

Bad, bad idea: Xzar's going to whip Jaheira's ass, and Khalid won't live to see death on prosector's table. :)

Seriously, though, I'm for permanent parties, not temporary companions, but in any case, with BG1 NPC Khalid and Jaheira(Xzar and Monty) the writers did a very smart thing. Khalid and Jaheira are both fussing over PC, endlessly(perhaps too endlessly) saying that protecting and caring over PC is their main and only charge. And Xzar and Monty's dislike for each other is so nice and intense that it's a textbook case of divide and conquer. No case for jealousy there, no case for "PC is a bystander in a grand love/hate story of NPC A and NPC B". With Minsc and Dynaheir, it's quite interesting, too: with Minsc's low intelligence, you're kind of getting "one full NPC, one party mascot". Besides, Dynaheir is a modded romance for the PC, so it's a win-win situation.

So, in the end, bottom line is simple: NPCs in NPC pairs can be successful if they do not have their eyes on each other all the time, AND if PC is a significant part of the picture.

I don't think it's good. An NPC should have a firm relationship only with one person - my PC. Otherwise, what the hell are they doing in my party? Find their own.

Bit egocentric innit? Every member in your party is only allowed to have a solid connection with your PC, and not with others whether in or outside the party? So if some NPC has children (Keldorn), but is willing to go with you, he's only allowed to care about your PC? If he wants to form a friendship with, say, Mazzy, you'll kick him out?

I'm probably taking your words very literal, but that is how you're wording it. Not that your opinion surprises me.

NPC's are more realistic, as far as possible in a fantasy game, when they can form/have formed connections with others as well. Really, is everyone in your life completely cut off from everyone else besides you? I doubt it. The world doesn't always revolve around the PC. Not because he/she's the PC. Not because he/she's a godchild. It just doesn't work that way. Not even in a fantasy game. It's not called Baldur's Vain.

I don't think it's good. An NPC should have a firm relationship only with one person - my PC. Otherwise, what the hell are they doing in my party? Find their own.

Bit egocentric innit? Every member in your party is only allowed to have a solid connection with your PC, and not with others whether in or outside the party? So if some NPC has children (Keldorn), but is willing to go with you, he's only allowed to care about your PC? If he wants to form a friendship with, say, Mazzy, you'll kick him out?

****Don't think it's egocentric, it's her game, and she can feel the way she wants. Besides, you just committed Logical Fallacy #1 here - Ad Hom. The thread is about views on paired NPC's. Why can't we post what we feel about them? Personally, I find them a nuisance unless they interact a LOT with my pc. It's my free time and game, and I DO NOT expect, nor do I expect that everyone else on the planet, feels that a fantasy GAME has to be like Real Life. That rather misses the point of a fantasy game, for many people.

I'm probably taking your words very literal, but that is how you're wording it. Not that your opinion surprises me.{/Quote}

****Uh...Ad Hom again!

NPC's are more realistic, as far as possible in a fantasy game, when they can form/have formed connections with others as well. Really, is everyone in your life completely cut off from everyone else besides you? I doubt it. The world doesn't always revolve around the PC. Not because he/she's the PC. Not because he/she's a godchild. It just doesn't work that way. Not even in a fantasy game. It's not called Baldur's Vain.

*****Sigh...Ad Hom AND Straw Man fallacies. You make personal attacks and build a straw man instead of addressing the issue of the thread. (Sigh)

This is about paired NPC's, not attacking other forum members, their opinions, or building up your Straw Man of what you perceive a PC experience has to be, knock it down (classic Straw Man fallacy) and then end with another Ad Hom.

And..."Baldur's Vain," after many, many playthroughs would be very welcome for me! I want to have my own experience be more about my PC than about what other people try to push as reality. I play to take a break from that "reality" and want another. How fun is a game I play that isn't even about my character? Not much.

Edit - sorry, messed up the quoting a bit!

I prefer NPCs that work great as a pair, but are just as interesting apart. In a way, whenever you work on your NPC, even if it is single one, you build him or her up as a 'pair' to each BioWARE NPC (or whatever modded NPC) defining the relationship, and making it interesting. I do not talk of the new NPC XYZ that immediately mates with the author's fav Bio NPC or is his or hers long-lost brother (though I did old flames to the whazoo, of course, 'cause I am a shameless hack), but and NPC that actually have a twist on the usual takes on Bio's 12. While there are advantages to writing NPCs in batches, because of all the parrallels you can keep tabs on at the same time, the first project is better handled as a single character. If someone wants to try their hand in writing multiple characters, I agree that a fun quest is a better undertaking, and gives a writing practice for plots as well as dialogues and banters.

Archived