EET Failure on 2.5 beta

@argent77

Still one more question. Would applying your patch on a pre-2.5beta version of the area file have any effect or would it just do nothing?

This mod simply fixes an inconsistency in the actor structures of ARE files. It should be useful even outside of EET preparation, in case other mods don't properly check consistency of these structures.

To the fix itself: Several actor structures are erroneously marked as having attached CRE files (as it is common only for ARE files in save games), including a valid-looking offset but CRE size of zero. This specific combination apparently leads EET to the conclusion to parse the non-existing CRE data without doing an additional size check. This mod makes both flag and offset/size fields consistent.

Actually, the erronerous actor flag was already present in BGEE v2.3, but both CRE offset and size fields were set to zero. A similar consistency issue can be found in BD7210.ARE and OH3100.ARE.

Edited by argent77

@argent77

Still one more question. Would applying your patch on a pre-2.5beta version of the area file have any effect or would it just do nothing?

This mod simply fixes an inconsistency in the actor structures of ARE files. It should be useful even outside of EET preparation, in case other mods don't properly check consistency of these structures.

To the fix itself: Several actor structures are erroneously marked as having attached CRE files (as it is common only for ARE files in save games), including a valid-looking offset but CRE size of zero. This specific combination apparently leads EET to the conclusion to parse the non-existing CRE data without doing an additional size check. This mod makes both flag and offset/size fields consistent.

Actually, the erronerous actor flag was already present in BGEE v2.3, but both CRE offset and size fields were set to zero. A similar consistency issue can be found in BD7210.ARE and OH3100.ARE.

Thanks.

Actually the background of my question was this.

If we include your fix in e.g. BWS setups by default and automatically apply it, so users need not bother and we do not need to add lengthy explanations of what it does - and the patch runs and either fixes what needs to be fixed or does nothing if files are fine, that would be ideal.

Otherwise users need to know that they need this fix for EET and if they forget to select it, they learn too late and need to start over again, and a lot of questions and answers go back and forth...

It certainly wouldn't hurt to add such a fix to existing fixpacks (if there is one for EE games). However, there is still time until final patch 2.5 is released. Maybe Beamdog will clean up the game resources before the final patch is out.

Yes, hopefully.

This is why my idea was to make this a silent fix we could add and then remove when the source is fixed.

Otherwise it will be *Do I need this?* and *Help, my EET install failed with this error...*.

If it is a temporary thing then provide it while it is needed and make no big fuss about it. In the end only a handful of people may try EET on that beta version anyway.

Just one side note, Beamdog has repeatedly stated that the currently available SoD (which is still on 2.3) is not fully compatible with (beta) patch 2.5. This will most likely also apply to EET installations. It might be that EET won't be fully playable yet.

Edited by argent77

Just one side note, Beamdog has repeatedly stated that the currently available SoD (which is still on 2.3) is not fully compatible with (beta) patch 2.5. This will most likely also apply to EET installations. It might be that EET won't be fully playable yet.

I had no problems testing an install on the beta version and trying it out to see what bugs might arise, but because of the SoD issue, I'll probably hold off now. Their blog as said earlier this month that they expected 2.5 final to release at the end of the month. If it won't be much longer, I guess I'll wait before I test again.

Thanks, by the way, for such a quick patch!

I did not expect stuff to go wrong using the latest 2.5 beta because its a release candidate already deployed on some platforms and it shouldnt change at all before it hits PC.

But yeah - ran into this install issue. Provided area fix on page one fixed it (mid install + retry) thank you very much for that.

As for SOD 2.5 itself not being perfectly stable yet, well, it might not be - but its playable enough. Friend of mine just blew through it, admittedly not EET but hey.

Im pretty sure some tweaks will be needed on modders' end post 2.5 tweaks cause the current 2.5 beta is going to go live pretty much as-is. What else is new, though? ;)

Edited by Valamyr

I installed with EE Setup and the above area fix, it appreared that there is error when installing. I copied the error message as below:-

##### V25 Area patch #####
### 0000: EET preparation: Fix ARE actor offsets ###
Ready for installation
Setup-EET-ARE_fix.exe --no-exit-pause --noautoupdate --language 0 --skip-at-view --force-install-list 0 --logapp
[setup-EET-ARE_fix.exe] WeiDU version 24600
Using .\lang\en_us\dialog.tlk
Installing [EET preparation: Fix ARE actor offsets] [2.0]
Copying and patching 423 files ...
ERROR: BIFF [.\DATA\AREAS.BIF] cannot be loaded: Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", ".\\DATA\\AREAS.BIF")
ERROR locating resource for 'COPY'
Resource [AR0011.ARE] not found in KEY file:
[./chitin.key]
Stopping installation because of error.
ERROR Installing [EET preparation: Fix ARE actor offsets], rolling back to previous state
Will uninstall 0 files for [EET-ARE_FIX/SETUP-EET-ARE_FIX.TP2] component 0.
Uninstalled 0 files for [EET-ARE_FIX/SETUP-EET-ARE_FIX.TP2] component 0.
ERROR: Failure("resource [AR0011.ARE] not found for 'COPY'")
Please make a backup of the file: SETUP-EET-ARE_FIX.DEBUG and look for support at: Argent77
Automatically Skipping [EET preparation: Fix ARE actor offsets] because of error.
NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS EET preparation: Fix ARE actor offsets
D:\Game\BG2\BG2EE>
ERROR: BIFF [.\DATA\AREAS.BIF] cannot be loaded: Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", ".\\DATA\\AREAS.BIF")
ERROR: Failure("resource [AR0011.ARE] not found for 'COPY'")
EET preparation: Fix ARE actor offsets (V25 Area patch) was not installed due to errors.

The error sounds more like your installation contains corrupted or missing files, or maybe a previous mod in the installation list made some incompatible changes. Are you able to open AR0011.ARE in Near Infinity?

Edit: If your BG:SoD game is from either GOG or Steam, make sure you have correctly merged the DLC (either use modmerge/DLC Merger manually or let BWS use DLC Merger automatically). Unpacking the SoD DLC manually doesn't work.

Edited by argent77