BG1/BGEE Items

Demivrgvs

What about BG2:EE items? Anyone has a complete list of those?

Rumors are they are much better designed than BG1:EE items.

Should this theoretical optional component remove all those BG2:EE-specific items too?

Hmm, have you ever tried to not to kill Elminster ? :D He only has a 100 hit points, and I am quite sure the try to not kill him might fail with just fists.
Yep, he too is a peasant of sorts... :D

Are you perhaps a member of "We Hate Elminster" club? Looks like you are. :D

What about BG2:EE items? Anyone has a complete list of those?

Rumors are they are much better designed than BG1:EE items.

Should this theoretical optional component remove all those BG2:EE-specific items too?

Well, let's put it like this. IR changes pretty much every single item in non-EE. Even if the EE-items are better designed, it's possible that they don't really "fit" within the comprehensive design vision of IR. At the very least all descriptions would/should be changed to conform to the way IR lists f.e. weapons.

I'd like for IR to change all EE-only items too, but if Demi don't have the time to do that; I would personally like to have a component that would remove them. Of course everyone that doesn't install that component would retain all the the items unchanged.

This may not be a complete list:

Marduuk's Mallet - +3 club with +1 to strenght. "This is the mallet Marduk uses when cooking....." doh.gif

Enforcer Bracers - strenght to 20, -2 DEX - "..turn even the scrawniest gladiator into a ferocious brute."

Cloak of the Lich - cold and electric resistance +50%, immunity to death effects

The Winged's Gauntlet - bracers, +5AC vs melee, magic damage fireshield when hit (not likely gonna happen :) )

Club +1, club +2

Potion of Barkskin - +1 saves, AC set to 3

Faulty ring of Protection from Evil - cursed, casts Fireball insteadROFL.gif

Faulty Bane of Abyss - spear which has 50% chance to send a demon home. Doesn't, eff is missing. May be intended.

Faulty Wand of Mazes - cursed, casts Maze on user (neat panick button!)

Golden Calf Idol - summons a Minotaur

Kazrah's shield - medium, cast Chain Ligtning 1xday

Striv's Wrangler - staff which casts Otiluke 1xday. Guy used it for trapping animals.

Dark Justice - +5 two handed, 15% vorpal, 1d6 heal per hit. Some lass wielded it against Demons.

Holy Long Sword of Tyr - +3 longsword, +6 cs Chaotic Evil. Description as per regular +3, with an added line: "This blade bears the sigil of Tyr and is intended for his most fervent followers". Who would wield this crap anyway?

Visage - helm, immunity to Charm, Confusion, Feeblemind, Fear, 8 hours lasting Domination 1xday, Breathe Acid 1xday, +1 saves & THAC0

Potion of Clairvoyance- allows to detect invisible (idea stolen from IR potion apperantly. Demi is on payroll here.)

Rod of Shadowstep - casts Shadowstep. I don't know what this is.

Brass Blade - +5 Bastard sword, which looks like a bad mod item - 50% fire res, +10 fire damage. Description is a bad mix of vanilla Flail of Ages and Purifier. Shame, shame...

Abysal blade- two handed, extra +5 vs good, extra fire damage, +1 dex, -1 intelingence. Wielded by Nabassu Assassin. :rolleyes: Comes in several versions, with extra damage against either devils or demons. In both cases, demon gets trapped inside. ROFL.gif So many demons, so very few swords to hold them....

Wand of Glitterdust. Casts Glitterdust.

Jade Fang dagger - 5% Stun for 10 seconds, heals 1HP per hit. I like this, +3 enchanted dagger.

Hide armor +3

Wooden Horce Necklasse - +2 AC and saves

Collar Bell - removes Sleep from party, casues Deafness on failed save. Used for cat feeding or something.

The Brick - my "favourite" thus far (apart the blade with demon inside.). +2 Throwing hammer. 10% chance for Wild Surge in 10 feet aura of wielder. Target must save vs spell or suffer 100% spell failure for next round and take 1d12 magic damage. "Nobody beats the Brick!". Built by mages - for mages.....ffs.

Golden Circlet - +15% Wild Surge positive chance

Robe of Goodman Hayes - permanent Chaos Shield, -1 AC penatly

Invocation robe - +20% resistances

Tunic of Blindeye - zone of Wild magic 1x day, save vs spells or 100% Wild surge chance, increases movement by 2 and adds 25% Magic damage resist.

Shield of Fyrus - 10% elemental resist, allies close get +5% MR, Turning 1xday

Wild Sling - save or Wild magic

Wand of Whips - kind of odd. Does damage until save is made (desc says -2, then -4....wtf??), then holds the target.??

Brooch of Vagrant Blades - amulet which reflects Magic missiles. Description says nothing, apart that it deflects MMs.

Hojar's Fame - +1 fire axe.

Ox-Tail belt - +4 vs missiles, -2 charisma

Belt of Minor Invurnerability - chance for MGoI when struck, casts MGoI 1xday

Cowl of Stars - casts Melf's Meteors

Cloak of Uneering Strikes - +2 off hand THAC0

Cloak of Atonenemt - loose 1 constitution for 8 hours, random chance of beneficial priest spell, up to Shield of Archons.

Cloak of Dark Moon - +2 AC, saves (at night), blindness immune, Pro Magic energy 3xday, for 4 hours (yey!)

Ir'revykal - +5 Unholy Reaver, immunity to Charm, 50% dispel chance, extra damage vs good

Eyes of Beholder - helmet with 3x day charges of low-level beholder rays

Headband of Devaut - Bless + Confusion immunity, Righteous magic 1xday

Reaching Ring - 5th, 6th, 7th extra spell for wizards.

Ring of Duplication - Mirror image 3xday, +1 vs missiles

Gem of Seeing - TS 1xday

Lupine sling - 15% chance of disease

Hawkweye - +1 dex scimitar

God bless the poor soul who chooses to sort this out. One time I played through EE2 (bless me!) I found no new items however, which leads me to believe that these are aquired with new NPCs, of which I used none. .

Even if the EE-items are better designed, it's possible that they don't really "fit" within the comprehensive design vision of IR. At the very least all descriptions would/should be changed to conform to the way IR lists f.e. weapons.

Look and see.ROFL.gif

Look and see.ROFL.gif

Marduuk's Mallet - +3 club with +1 to strenght. "This is the mallet Marduk uses when cooking....." doh.gif

Enforcer Bracers - strenght to 20, -2 DEX - "..turn even the scrawniest gladiator into a ferocious brute."

Striv's Wrangler - staff which casts Otiluke 1xday. Guy used it for trapping animals.

Dark Justice - +5 two handed, 15% vorpal, 1d6 heal per hit. Some lass wielded it against Demons.

Brass Blade - +5 Bastard sword, which looks like a bad mod item - 50% fire res, +10 fire damage. Description is a bad mix of vanilla Flail of Ages and Purifier. Shame, shame...

Collar Bell - removes Sleep from party, casues Deafness on failed save. Used for cat feeding or something.

The Brick - my "favourite" thus far (apart the blade with demon inside.). +2 Throwing hammer. 10% chance for Wild Surge in 10 feet aura of wielder. Target must save vs spell or suffer 100% spell failure for next round and take 1d12 magic damage. "Nobody beats the Brick!". Built by mages - for mages.....ffs.

Oh my. Yeah, well, uhm. That hypothetical component better materialize :p

I don't think that's likely to happen I'm afraid. Some of these items are found on new enemies, or new NPCs get them as part of personal quests or whatever.

There are few which can be safely ignored (+2 scimitar with +1 to dex is virtually useless), but there are those which definitely stand out as either imbalanced (Visage helm, Cloak of Lich) or really really bad (Brass blade. As if one fiery bastard sword isn't enough.)

I have no idea how, where, when and what coniditons must be met to get these items. The little I played with Dorn & Neera & co I remember getting Jade Fang (1st Hexxat quest, virtually the moment you get out of Irenicus cage) and Vagrant amulet (can't remember the details.).

The problem is a lot of these items have no lore, no meaning, no balance, no purpose, and they stand out even against vanilla items, not only IR modified ones.

I don't think that's likely to happen I'm afraid.

I think I was unclear; the component I was referring to was one that would suppress all these new shiny, imbalanced, meaningless items.

I think I was unclear; the component I was referring to was one that would suppress all these new shiny, imbalanced, meaningless items.

Man, if you don't even know where the items are and damn it don't have a clue on how to acquire, how can you actually judge if they actually belong to the game or not ?

And you better have a very good answer ! Or shut up.

I don't think that's likely to happen I'm afraid.

I think problems could arise with simply "removing" them. Specific quests, dialogues etc. might be linked to obtaining those items, so something could easilly get broken, which is arguably (much) worse than what would happen if these items remain in the game.

If somebody with extensive EE2 NPCs knowledge knows more about this, we could have more info.

I think a sort of "quickfix" for them might be possible however - I wouldn't bother with lore and similar, but items could indeed be tweaked to a more sensible status without too much work. Some of them are otoh beyond salavation, and a total rewamp should be neccecary.

Example of fixable :

Cloak of Lich - kind of emulates lich immunites. Why not emulate their undead vulnerability (weaker constitution, healing doesn't work, and similar) as well?

Unfixable:

Ox-tail belt. Wtf? Ox tail? What should it do (apart end up in soup?)

Another thing to keep an eye on is where these items are, are they aquired after a tedious battle or random crap treasure in a locked chest in Alkathla.

Such a mod really doesn't have to be part of IR you know. Anyone on this thread has the skills to find the offending items and do a set of quick-and-dirty COPY_EXISTING commands to replace them with other, perhaps generic, items.

Such an "EE Items-Be-Gone" mod would appeal to anyone who like the items, balance, and gameplay of your BGT or Tutu, but wants to get the visual improvements, bug-fixes, and compatibility with modern operating systems of the new EE engine.

And Jarno doesn't have to use it if he doesn't want to.

Btw to answer an earlier question, I played through a BGT game with Relair's Mistake last year, and while it was definitely a keeper (it's a good panic-button item for a thief) I didn't find it overpowered. I forget where you get it, but as long as it's not until about halfway through the game it's okay.

BGEE new items

No offense, but they did a really terrible job on these imo. :( I do need more infos though (e.g. item's backgrounds), if not the files themselves.

Rugged leathers +2: a plain +2 with a move silently penalty? Am I missing something?

Magma bulwark +2 : just a lighter plate mail +2? Considering how powerful Ankheg Plate Mail is (too much?), and that it doesn't take much to get that, I don't see much point in this new armor as it is.

Buckley's Buckler: Seriously? Vanilla BG1 had a buckler with +1 DEX and they added a buckler with +1 CON? Lamest concept ever imo, and +CON opcode causes the "infinite healing issue" unless they fixed it (I bet they didn't).

Moonlight Walkers: LOL Instead of making the Monk class balanced for BG1 they added unique items to their own NPC to make him viable. I'd consider a pair of boots with +2 bonus to AC kinda OP (+1 is enough), especially for BG1, am I wrong?

Glimmering Bands: another convenient Rasaad-only item (aka "monk's thac0 suck, let's add +2 to hit bonus to our NPC). At least this one is more balanced.

Belt of Antipode: Without SR V4 new ice-based spells I guess this item is pretty much pointless. At least it's a fun concept.

Adoy's Belt: +5 to saves vs polymorph/pertification. I don't know what to say.

The Golden Axe +1: I don't understand...TotSC already had Bala's Axe, did they think adding an axe with 10% chance of casting dispel on target is such a great idea? :(

Beruel's Retort +1: IR already added a "common" +1 returning axe, thus I guess this is completely pointless in its current state.

Night Club +1: how did they implemented the whole "+2 at night" thing?! I'm really curious.

Might Oak: is this just a plain club +2?

Hammer of dawn +1: corret me if I'm wrong, but non-detection on a hammer have very little "sinergy" value. Who the hell is going to benefit from it? A cleric-thief who cannot backstab with it?

The Chelsey Crusher +2: "sets apr to 1, +4 dmg", mmm...I always believed setting attacks per round to 1 didn't really worked (aka +x bonus would still apply over it, and maybe even warrior's bonus too). I'll test it asap. On a side note, with IR installed we already had a unique halberd, Suryris's Blade +2.

The Thresher +2: is this just a plain flail +2? If yes, they could have just used blun13.

The Stupefier +1: wait a second, let me read this again "25% chance to stun target for 1d4 rounds no save"?!? This is utterly broken!!! With no save this item would be OP even for BG2!

Harrower +1: a plain +1 longsword which is +3 vs undead. Yeah, because Flame Tongue wasn't enough eh?

Rancor +1: I'd need to know the character more to judge it. At least they used a unique ability, afaik using one of the few unique BGEE-only opcodes (though they could have done it the way KR handles Barbarian's Cleave).

Neera's staff +1: not much to say, it fits the NPC I guess.

Sling of Unerring Accuracy: are you kidding me?!? I already made BG1 "unused" slng03 work like this ages ago!! :(

After I finished BG:EE with IR, I felt that the BG:EE items need to be handled by IR. You can check the whole item lists at http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8110/a-guide-to-new-magic-items-in-bg-ee-spoilers/p1 (You can check item codes also)

1. Plain but unique item name

Rashad's Talon +2, Might oak, and The Thresher are just plain +x weapons, but they have unique names. I think they should be +2 Scimitar, +2 Club, and +2 Flail respectively.
2. Plain with meaningless penalties
Rugged leathers +2 is a +2 leather armor with move silently penalty. This should be a +2 plain leather armor or be unique at least.
3. Little feature
As Demi said, many many BG:EE-only items are quite redundant or have little feature imo. I'd rather want those to be removed from BG:EE, honestly. Harrower + 1, The chelsey crusher, Night Club +1, Sling of unerring accuracy, The golden axe +1, Hammer of dawn +1, All cursed items, Belt of antipode, etc... Blabla.
In my opinion, removing all of the items added on BG:EE and adding plain +1, +2 weapons with several unique ones from IR's are the best way to "enhance" BG truly. :) I hope Store Revisions for BG:EE does this!

Golden Circlet - +15% Wild Surge positive chance

Robe of Goodman Hayes - permanent Chaos Shield, -1 AC penatly

Invocation robe - +20% resistances

Tunic of Blindeye - zone of Wild magic 1x day, save vs spells or 100% Wild surge chance, increases movement by 2 and adds 25% Magic damage resist.

Shield of Fyrus - 10% elemental resist, allies close get +5% MR, Turning 1xday

Wild Sling - save or Wild magic

Wand of Whips - kind of odd. Does damage until save is made (desc says -2, then -4....wtf??), then holds the target.??

Cloak of Dark Moon - +2 AC, saves (at night), blindness immune, Pro Magic energy 3xday, for 4 hours (yey!)

Headband of Devaut - Bless + Confusion immunity, Righteous magic 1xday

Well, since we had no Demi on team, I did what I could...

Wand of Whips is a PnP item, listed as being in possession of Szass Tam.

Harper's Call here.

SoD items:

Staff

Brevin's quarterstaff - casts Friends and has +10 to lore - I'd swap Friends for CHA bonus (+2).

Uncursed Staff - STR set to 18, -2 THAC0 and damage - useless. +4 STR/damage, -6 THAC0?

Soulhearder staff - buffs spirits - seems fine imo

Echo of the Fiend - Fireshield (Red), chance to trigger sunfire - seems fine (description should be changed, i.e. without "Red" and "sunfire" if SR is present)

Long Bow

Corwin's bow - DEX +1, Entange on hit, save vs breath to avoid - copy of Dryad bow from IR :spanking: Definitely requires a rework.

Corinth's bow - +1 AC, casts Luck (self) on critical hit. Not too shabby.

Bow of the Banshee - deals extra damage on panicked targets (+1) and can cast Cloak of Fear on wielder with succesfull hit. Interesting concept, but kind of underpowered imo. I'd increase damage to panicked creatures (+4).

Short Bow

Savage Shortbow - +1 CON for elves and halfbreeds, +3 damage vs orcs. I'd change the scores here. Since when are elves savages? Should be an anti-savage shortbow. Maybe Rage 1xday, bonuses reworked?

Blightbringer - casues disease and has extra damage vs dwarves. Seems fine imo.

Fleshripper - can haste wielder on succesfull hit, +2 movement. Why is this a Fleshripper? On hit, (10% or critical) flays the target (extra slashing damage for 2-3 rounds). MS bonuses I hate but I can live with it.

2-handed swords

Sword of troll decapitation - +1 crit chance vs trolls, gain strenght when hit a troll, fire damage vs trolls. Tbh, I used this sword, and it's very underwhelming (not due to sword itself but due to trolls death scripting). I'd rework it - on a critical, kills trolls instantly (chunked death if possible). With this as it is, you'll still be using Acid/Fire arrows to kill them...

Dragon Blade - +1 cold damage, when enraged + 10% to crit, slows and extra cold damage on critical. I love this item. :thumbsup: Transfers to BG2.

Sword of Ruin - +5% critical chance, extra 2d4 on crit. Kinda lame imo. I'd add a small seperate instance of piercing damage (it's description mentions teeth)

Axes

Grubdoubler's Axe ranged - hit confuses people (20% chance). Imo fine.

Axe of Kruntur ranged - +1 apr, poison on hit. Usable only by new shaman NPC. Seems fine.

Chill Axe - cold damage, wielder can go berserk. Useless. I'd put a "controlable" berserk here with a higher trigger chance.

Rhyte's last arrow ranged - extra crit, on crit + 5 to THAC0. I'd make this on crit, +5 to crit.

Clubs

Mosela's Cudgel - +2 vs alteration school, +1 vs constructs. Interesting concept, imo underdeveloped.

Backwhacker - causes unconciusness on backstab. I'm 90% positive aVenger made this one. Nice item, someone might actually use this for backstabing mages.

Archived