Mac Specific Installation Issues

Everyone who has playtesters, let me know. They'll need to register (if they're not already) and I need to add them to the access list. This evening I'm going to bump the announcements. I'll add a mini-FAQ to address the deficiencies of the original announcement. :undecided:

Howdy Cam!

Thanks for having my along for the ride. I've already gotten the fixpack (Av4) and will install it on a clean BGII-SoA tonight (5/4). Anything I need to know at the outset?

@devSin

You had mentioned some Mac-specific issues over at Baldurans recently - anything more to add about that just yet?

Heya IRM. One of the specific OS X issues is here: ar0512 green water. When devSin used the fixed tis file, it crashed BG2, though no PC players reported a similar issue. For now, the Fixpack will not install this file on OS X, so you'll need to add it manually. After installing the fixpack, move ar0512.tis from the BG2Fixpack/tis folder to your override then try going to ar0512.

devSin should be able to let you know what other OS X issues we may have.

For the moment, the AR0512 TIS is the only real issue I've encountered. I don't think COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP is used anywhere, so the fixpack should install correctly on Mac OS X 10.2, as well as Mac OS X 10.3.

We should be able to take care of any issues once you get the fixpack installed; for now, the TIS update is the main concern.

For the moment, the AR0512 TIS is the only real issue I've encountered. I don't think COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP is used anywhere, so the fixpack should install correctly on Mac OS X 10.2, as well as Mac OS X 10.3.

We should be able to take care of any issues once you get the fixpack installed; for now, the TIS update is the main concern.

Howdy gentlemen,

Here with a BG2 fixpack Mac report

Fixed the .tp2 file as devSin instructed (used TextWrangler). No problems there.

Began the installation. It went fine until this:

ERROR: BIFF [./data/AREA050A.bif] cannot be loaded: Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "./data/AREA050A.bif")

Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [bG2 Fixpack - Alpha 4], rolling back to previous state

Will uninstall 2185 files for [bG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2] component 0.

Uninstalled    2185 files for [bG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2] component 0.

ERROR: Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "./data/AREA050A.bif")

PLEASE email the file SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.DEBUG to webmaster@camagna.net

I posted this same report at Balduran's Adventurers Spa & Grill (BASG). Do you want me to send the debug file?

Can you post the last 10 lines of the log file before the error occurred (assuming one was created)?

Unfortunately, I'm not the installation expert, so we're going to need some official guidance, here.

Can you post the last 10 lines of the log file before the error occurred (assuming one was created)?

Unfortunately, I'm not the installation expert, so we're going to need some official guidance, here.

Howdy devSin,

No log was created (I presume it would have been called bg2fixpack.log right?), besides the debug file that was created.

I've mailed the debug log as requested by CamDawg.

Let me know when to take the next step. Thanks!

Odd. The relevant DEBUG chunk:

[./override/suelf10.sto] loaded, 3060 bytes
override is a directory: true[override/suelf10.sto] loaded, 3060 bytes
[override/suelf10.sto] backed up to [bg2fixpack/backup/0/suelf10.sto]
Copied [suelf10.sto] to [override/suelf10.sto]
Copying and patching 1 file ...
BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [1/data/AREA050A.bif]
ERROR: BIFF [./data/AREA050A.bif] cannot be loaded: Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "./data/AREA050A.bif")

ERROR Installing [BG2 Fixpack - Alpha 4], rolling back to previous state
[bg2fixpack/backup/0/UNSETSTR.0] loaded, 427 bytes

The corresponding tp2 code:

COPY_EXISTING ~AR0512.WED~ ~OVERRIDE~
READ_LONG 0xa4 ~wallGroupsOffset~
INSERT_BYTES ~%wallGroupsOffset%~ 0x0a
WRITE_LONG ~%wallGroupsOffset%~ 0x00020001
WRITE_LONG ~%wallGroupsOffset%~ + 0x04 0x00040003
WRITE_SHORT ~%wallGroupsOffset%~ + 0x08 0x05
WRITE_BYTE 0x062b 0x06
WRITE_LONG 0x64 ~%wallGroupsOffset%~ + 0x0a
WRITE_LONG 0x7c ~%wallGroupsOffset%~ + 0x0a
WRITE_LONG 0x94 ~%wallGroupsOffset%~ + 0x0a
WRITE_SHORT 0x0626 0x06
FOR (index = 0x9c; index < 0xac; index = index + 0x04) BEGIN
  READ_LONG ~%index%~ ~offset~
  WRITE_LONG ~%index%~ ~%offset%~ + 0x0a
END
BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

It's failing on this bit since it can't find the BIFF (AREA050A) that contains ar0512.wed, if I'm reading this correctly. Is this an SoA or ToB install, and is it full or partial?

The debug file is the log. If you sent it to Cam, then he can look over it and find out where to go from there. I've occasionally run across issues like this. I think it's just stupid WeiDU's fault (it doesn't ever like to find data in the CDn/data folders).

EDIT: If you have the HD space, I'd suggest copying AREA050A.BIF (it'll probably be in CD2/data) to the main BG2 data folder, and then try installing again.

Odd. The relevant DEBUG chunk:

<snip>

It's failing on this bit since it can't find the BIFF (AREA050A) that contains ar0512.wed, if I'm reading this correctly. Is this an SoA or ToB install, and is it full or partial?

This is SoA only and it's a full (MacPlay called it 'Maximum' when it was originally released) install. I was going to try it on ToB too, but wanted to hear back from you and devSin first.

The debug file is the log. If you sent it to Cam, then he can look over it and find out where to go from there. I've occasionally run across issues like this. I think it's just stupid WeiDU's fault (it doesn't ever like to find data in the CDn/data folders).

EDIT: If you have the HD space, I'd suggest copying AREA050A.BIF (it'll probably be in CD2/data) to the main BG2 data folder, and then try installing again.

I'm going to run it in a minute, but I have a question: when the debug log says,

Does that mean it's looking for the file in the data forlder of CD1 (which doesn't exist)? Shouldn't it be looking in 2/data/.... or am I just typing ignorant?

Okay. Dropped the AREA050A.BIF into the main BGII - SoA directory. Ran the bg2fixpack setup again. No joy. Same result:

ERROR Installing [BG2 Fixpack - Alpha 4], rolling back to previous state
Will uninstall 2185 files for [BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2] component 0.
Uninstalled    2185 files for [BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2] component 0.
ERROR: Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "./data/AREA050A.bif")
PLEASE email the file SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.DEBUG to webmaster@camagna.net

I'm not going to bother sending the debug file unless you definitely want it.

However, I looked at the debug file myself and saw the following at the top of the log:

[./Baldur.ini] loaded, 142 bytes
Possible HD/CD Path: [1]
[./Keymap.ini] loaded, 4619 bytes

What does that CD path mean?

My reason for asking is that Loriel (from BASG) and myself have been trying to work out the kinks on a new Mac BG1Tutu (one that will work 100% with the BGII-ToB expansion). Unfortunately that chokes on us during Tutu-ing and the bg1tutu.log file also has the exact same output, except that it says it for both the location of TotSC and BGII - SoA. If you're curious, the specifics are here (I also compare a successful .log output to the buggered one in that post).

If you can identify the problem with the above, perhaps it would help us as well....

It doesn't mean anything (it's just garbage). I don't remember when WeiDU started reporting this gunk instead of the actual paths. For instance, the log for my project always has "BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [300]." I move all the data files to the main data folder and update the paths in Baldur.ini to simply read CDn:=:, and don't have any CDn directories, so WeiDU installs always work here (it never has to go searching for CDn/data folders, which apparently may not work too well on Mac WeiDU).

Okay. Dropped the AREA050A.BIF into the main BGII - SoA directory. Ran the bg2fixpack setup again. No joy. Same result:
Shit. I imagine it's still trying to follow the path set in the key file (CD2/data), then. Just comment the fix out and see if we get all the way to the end (this particular update is 100% unimportant).
I imagine it's still trying to follow the path set in the key file (CD2/data), then. Just comment the fix out and see if we get all the way to the end (this particular update is 100% unimportant).

Howdy devSin,

I'm sure I'm showing my ignorance here, but I thought I had already commented out the AR050A.BIF fix when I followed your instructions from this BASG post:

Before you install the fix pack, go ahead and change the following block (starting on Line 10625):
ACTION_IF ("%WEIDU_ARCH%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "x86" = 0) THEN BEGIN
 COPY ~bg2fixpack/tis/ar0512.tis~ ~override~
END

to this:

//ACTION_IF ("%WEIDU_ARCH%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "x86" = 0) THEN BEGIN
 COPY ~bg2fixpack/tis/ar0512.tis~ ~override~
//END

This will allow you to test the AR0512 TIS update.

Many thanks!

I've been trying the installs with the above changes to the .tp2 - or are you talking about a separate fix?

Sorry for the delay. Change this:

WRITE_BYTE 0x062b 0x06
WRITE_SHORT 0x0626 0x06
END
BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

to this:

/*
WRITE_BYTE 0x062b 0x06
WRITE_SHORT 0x0626 0x06
END
BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES
*/

and then try the installation again. This WED patch is actually where it's failing.

Archived