Future tweak ideas - post 'em here

Reorganized this first post into a running list of ideas.

From the thread so far:

• change the adverse effect of durlag's goblet to something characters are less ordinarily immune to, while preserving the thematic combo of durlag's goblet and kiel's helmet by making the helmet provide an immunity to that effect instead of the ordinary immunity to fear
  • Alter buy/sell percentage of shops, and stealable or not.
  • Restore original NPCLEVEL.2DA and disable the scripted XP matching to that of Player1.
  • for instance allowing your Archer/Cleric (courtesy of Tweak Anthology) to use bows.
  • Expand container "Items purchased" list. Below are some suggestions from my EET game:
  • Cap the number of charges that items with charges have to a value specified by the user.
  • For "light" weapons like daggers, clubs, short swords, etc, use dexterity for THAC0 and Damage IF it would give a greater bonus than strength.
  • Allow users to specify which stronghold is made available to which classes.
  • Disable stealing at fences
  • Standardize buying markup for all stores
  • Idea : make the card game against Aesgareth fair (I mean something close to randomness).
  • A recent post in the other forums laments that Elemental Princes only have +2 weapons, so these near-deity-level HLA-summoned creatures cannot even touch various enemies
  • I made a little mod that simply removes usability restrictions from potions
  • allow paladins and rangers to use Wands of the Heavens
  • Same-sex options for Delainy/Durlyle e.g. spawning Delainy for a female protagonist or Durlyle for males.
  • Expand Romance Cheats to cover BG1 NPC and SoD romances
  • Have Eldoth's special ability create a single stack of arrows
  • Get rid of click sound
  • make a component allowing to choose the number of "quicksave" to use.
  • IMHO, the Effects of natural (creature) weapons such as GHAST1.itm or GHOUL1.itm should not be subjected to Magic Resistance. I'm talking about Vampiric Wolves, Ghasts, Ghouls, Basilisks, Wraith Spiders and so forth....
  • NPC Schedules expanded to more ... NPCs!
  • For all EEs, Let users specify the number of quicksave and autosave slots, independently.
  • For IWD:EE:
    • [HoF mode] Let user pick the enemy HP bloat %. Non-HoF core difficulty being 100%, HoF-bloat being X% (not sure what it is), let user specify the %.
    • [HoF mode] Let user pick the enemy damage bloat %. Non-HoF core difficulty being 100%, Insane is X% HoF-bloat being Y%, let user specify the %. This component would require disabling difficulty-based damage increases.
    • [All modes, including HoF] Let user scale the XP rewards from enemies. Core is 100%, Insane is X%, HoF is Y% (the player would be given these values in the weidu prompt so they're well informed when selecting a percentage), let user specify the %. This component would require disabling of difficulty-based XP awards, including nightmare/HoF.
    • [All modes] Let the user scale the quest XP rewards. Core is 100%.
  • Revert shields and armor color behavior so that they use their original predefined colors, not character colors.
  • Disable random treasures
  • ~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #113 // Remain Hidden On Pickpocket Success [C]: Beta 0026
  • ~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #114 // Rest Spawns Advance Time: Beta 0026
  • it would be good idea to tweak some weapons the way p5tweaks change spears for example. I, for one never understood purpose of bastard swords and distinction between them and long swords
  • Can you make it so that he only takes 1*ankheg or add some options to sell a certain numbers for a fixed price?
  • So it would be nice to have a cosmetic component allowing to set a standard elf avatar (mage warrior or priest) instead of the dark elf avater .
  • Stuff from the IWD Megamod
    • Sound sets have been restored to EVERYBODY
    • Merchants do not buy wands
    • Merchants will buy wands, but will not sell them back to you
    • Merchants will buy and sell wands, their charges will be retained (I don't know if this is even possible). Wand prices affected by number of charges.
  • Can you make invisible helmets work like the 2-handed axes etc. That is, "use" a helmet to convert it into an invisible helmet. I think some characters look good with helmets, other's dont, and this would let us mix-n-match.
  • Any way to port the Advanced AI Script from BG:EE to other games (like IWD:EE?)
  • Allow the IWD version of spells to be used in BG, and the BG version of spells to be used in IWD. In case someone prefers either.
  • Is it possible to add a feature whereby a character will automatically equip any ammo item if they already have at least 1 of that ammo item equipped. So if my archer picks up arrows, he will automatically equip them because he already has arrows of that type equipped. Following on from this, an option to automatically add things like gems to a gem bag or ammo to an ammo bag, etc.
  • Any way we can use the awesome BG1 battle music in other games?
  • If "Stores Sell Higher Stacks of Items" is installed before "Increase Ammo Stack Size -> Stacks of X", have stores sell stacks of X, rather than 120. 120 is the default stack size for #1120.
  • adding the following SoD items to BG:EE ------> Throwing Axe +1, Poisoned Throwing Dagger, Throwing Dagger +1, Bolt of Fire +1 and Bolt of Ice +1.
  • From Ludwig_II on the BD forums--a tweak to make arrows behave like BG (with damage bonus) or like BG2 (no damage bonus).
    • Specifically, you mean Dee's arrows-inheriting-enchantment-from-enchanted-launchers?  That would fit well in Tweaks, it's an excellent little mod.
  • Use all items hla allowing the use of companion items.
  • would it be possible to do a tweak to let you know when someone with stoneskin has actually been hit?
  • Could we get an EE-compliant version of Miloch's PnP Free Action as a Tweaks Anthology component?
  • Allow Multiple Romances to activate in Baldur's Gate 1/EE rather than simply skipping over it on the installer.
  • Give all turn-able undead npcs a 'destroy self' special ability.
  • UNDEAD, GOLEM (Clay/Iron/Stone, not Flesh), SLIME, DRAGON, DEMONIC and so forth should be immune to backstab/sneak attack (opcode #292).....
  • Can an option to lower the chance of random encounter be added?
  • Can an option to make impossible the respawn be added? I'm referring to the facft that when you just scouted a place, unless you leave a single party npc in some specific points (e.g Firewine ruins, near the center), coming back there again after having fully explored the dungeon means that you have to fight again new monsters that appeared out of thin air. This happens also during the exploration of the wilderness.
  • This whole thread
  • What about a custom value for "Remove Summoning Cap (Celestials/ordinary summons)"?
  • Obtain Holy Symbol based on experience
  • All non-cleric classes get their "cespenar" items regardless of their levels. They just have to find them in game. For example, Druids just need to find the components of Heartwood ring. Clerics need to reach a certain level so multi-class and dual classes miss out or they get them so late in the game.
  • Make Paladin's bracers useable by Blackguards - Blackguards miss out on their "cespenar" item too. Beamdog didn't create one for them when they introduced Blackguards.
  • Make Grease non-hostile - All area affect disabler-type spells don't aggro and can be safely used with neutral npcs. (Entangle, Web, Stinking Cloud, Sleep Cloud). Only Grease is an exception, limiting it's use. The effect is weak enough so I don't think another disadvantage should be added on this spell.
  • Remove the screen shake effect from the Earthquake spell - The spell not being party friendly limits its use. It making the annoying screen shake makes me never want to use this spell.
  • Removeable NPC Jewelries - make De'Arnise signet ring, Edwin's amulet (and Hexxat's amulet?) removeable. Make them similar to Jaheira's Harper pin.
  • Remove race restriction from NPC items (unless restricted in the description) - NPC items are restricted anyway based on the script names, I don't see the need of restricting it to a race
  • How about allowing Bard's pickpocket score to scale greater than 115?
  • At least on EE games, consider the idea of penalizing drow when they're outside during the day.
  • Would there be any possibility of adding a third option to the Easy Spell Learning tweak to remove the spell book's cap but leave the scroll scribing chance alone?
  • Make Jaheira easier to dismiss. It makes sense that she gets angry and leaves for good when she is dismissed while she is cursed but for other times it is difficult to juggle NPCs when she throws a hissy fit.
  • The Enhanced Editions brought forth, among other things, a recoloring of all joinable NPCs that makes use of the extended color palettes (which the Enhanced Editions implemented from 1PP) in order to better match the color scheme from each character's portrait. Would it be possible to have a Tweaks Anthology component that brings the same coloring to non-Enhanced versions of the game (provided that the extended palettes from 1PP were installed)?
  • Allow Barbarians to use Wong Fei's Ioun Stone - All Fighters can use it except Barbarians even though Barbarians have no restrictions on headgear.
  • suggestion for "Sensible Entrance Points": Add one or preferably two extra entrance points to AR1700  a.k.a. Small Teeth Pass: one in the southwest corner (at/around 70, 3090 local coordinates) and another one at the southern border (at/around 2650, 3100 local coordinates)
  • At the cost of being unpopular, I'm going to suggest a tweak to bring the Ring of Wizardry back to its original BG1 mechanics.
  • Remove Chaotic Neutral Anomen's conflicts with Dorn and Hexxat
  • If something like this is feasible in the non-EE engine, IMO it would be a worthy tweak: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/66521/enable-dual-classing-into-kits-now-with-proficiency-fix
  • Future tweak request:  Limit resting mechanic (could be something like rest only once every 24 hours)
  • "NPCs don't fight" enhancement
    • Conflicts with EE NPCs - Dorn/Anomen, Dorn/Keldorn, Neera/Edwin, Rasaad/Viconia, Hexxat/Aerie, etc.
    • Conflicts with Charname - so far, I've only encountered Keldorn attacking charname if Keldorn's timer is up and the party's reputation is less than 9.
  • Monk magic resistance starts from Level 1
  • One thing for the 'Cosmetic department' that would be nice to have is a 'Pink Imoen for classic BG2' component.
  • I'd love an option to begin Bg2/EE with the settings turned on for the importable items from SoD, so they show up throughout the game without importing a character.
  • option for the potions of speed to act as intended and as suggested in their in game description
  • It would be great if you added small shield support for shamans in Allow Mages to Use Bucklers and Thieves to Use Small Shields.
  • I have one small, aesthetic request. It seems out of place to me that my character dual wielding morning stars have flail animations for it. As I understand there is a component dealing with this, " Weapon Animation Tweaks". Unfortunately it changes beside avatar animation also inventory screen picture of morning stars to just plain mace and original morning stars are lost. Would it be possible then to just change avatar animation and left original morning star picture in inventory screen for this component? 
  • One thing that annoys me is that when i leave underdark and i have Viconia with me (almost everytime), she is forced by Elhan to accept a geas spell without me being able to say anything
  • Would it be possible to add stealing button to all of the shops?
  • demon heart should be dropped by marilith, glabrezu, pit fiend, gelugon, cornugon and so on too. They are usefull for item crafting mods.
  • Please, add a tweak to skip the annoying first dialogue with Thalantyr on high hedge
  • recoverable ammunitions are not available for IWD,
  • what about an option that would change long swords etc. for small races to two-handed weapons?
  • Add an option to "Multi-Class Grandmastery" that applies the same bonuses to Paladins, Rangers, and Ranger/Clerics.
  • IWD didn't have the exotic/eastern weapons like katanas, ninja-tos and wakizashis. I think the latter two are classified incorrectly as large swords when they should be short swords.
  • SCS has a component called "Increase difficulty of level-dependent monster groupings". I wish there was a similar tweak that worked for IWD2.
  • I would like a new option for the Friendly Random Drops component for IWD - All Items.
  • A component to disable resting by setting the "can't rest here" flag, either everywhere, or only inside dungeons, would help, even if the PoE resource based system is the best in my opinion.

From the thread, and already added:

• An extra option for wearing protection items together: Allow protection items to be combined with magical armor but not with each other. (I think Item Revisions also has something like this.)
  • Force fighter/druids to follow strict druid item restrictions. (No iron plate mail and shields.)
  • BG2 - Level-locked spell scrolls: Restrict the scrolls wizards and priests can use by level. No 7th level wizard casting Chain Lightning from scrolls. (Does not work in BG1/IWD1.)
  • Allow wizards to use bucklers, and thieves to use small shields (house rule of a GM friend of mine).
  • Extended HP rolls - allow characters to roll for HP up to level 20 instead of level 9, as in 3.5E rules.
  • Non-bouncing Lightning Bolts - Change the Lightning Bolt projectile so it doesn't crazily bounce off of the scenery and kill the caster.
  • No "Resist Fire/Cold" icon. The Resist Fire/Cold icon is hard to distinguish from the Protection of Fire icon. Change items and spells to only use Protection from Fire and Protection from Ice icons as appropriate.
  • disable automatic assignment of "Advanced AI" script to party members on EE games.
  • Goddamn Cromwell shouldn't goddamn take a whole goddamn day to goddamn forge his goddamn stuff
  • Various TobEx stuff for EE, e.g. universal four weapon slots
  • Disabled "Party AI" when starting a new game
  • Change almost every door to prevent NPCs pass through, to make sure no panic/enemy go out and course any unexpected situation, e.g. the House Jae'llat.
  • Stop ALL romance at the beginning. After play through for almost 20 years, some one like me may think that's really boring. Or tweak(shorten) the timer, especially some use real time. If some one want to keep the romance but want to just finish it asap.
  • Set depreciation to zero for all stores
  • Death Cam
  • Variant of Alter Multiclass Restrictions that only opens up a multiclass only if the race has access to both classes
  • It would be nice to be able to increase the speed of party when there is no enemies in sight to make exploration faster. (similar to pillar of eternity gameplay) .
  • Would it be possible to add @argent77's Undersigil Exploration FoW tweak to the pack for Ps:T?
  • Is it possible to make a colorblind component for scrolls* ?
Edited by CamDawg
updated 10.24.2021

Here's a bunch from my personal "Made in Heaven" project that you might be interested in. I already implemented all of these in my own mod for BGT, you're free to grab my code if you like.

BG1/BG2 - Give winter wolves their proper P&P ice breath. (Icewind Dale already has this correct.)

BG1/BG2 - Give mustard jellies their proper P&P vapor cloud.(Icewind Dale already has this correct.)

BG1 - Tone down the unrealistically large number of Large Shields +1 for sale in several shops. (Several shops have stacks of five or more.)

IWD1 - Make Potions of Extra Healing work like in BG2 (27 HP in BG2, 16 HP in IWD1)

An extra option for wearing protection items together: Allow protection items to be combined with magical armor but not with each other. (I think Item Revisions also has something like this.)

Force fighter/druids to follow strict druid item restrictions. (No iron plate mail and shields.)

Alternative druid XP table - Give druids their normal XP table, minus the ridiculous speed bump that keeps them stuck at level 14 while the rest of the party gathers epic levels.

BG2 - Level-locked spell scrolls: Restrict the scrolls wizards and priests can use by level. No 7th level wizard casting Chain Lightning from scrolls. (Does not work in BG1/IWD1.)

Allow wizards to use bucklers, and thieves to use small shields (house rule of a GM friend of mine).

Extended HP rolls - allow characters to roll for HP up to level 20 instead of level 9, as in 3.5E rules.

Non-bouncing Lightning Bolts - Change the Lightning Bolt projectile so it doesn't crazily bounce off of the scenery and kill the caster.

BG1/BG2 - Give paladins a Smite Evil as in IWD: Heart of Winter, and 3.5E rules. (Smite Undead for the Undead Hunter as it seems more fitting.)

No "Resist Fire/Cold" icon. The Resist Fire/Cold icon is hard to distinguish from the Protection of Fire icon. Change items and spells to only use Protection from Fire and Protection from Ice icons as appropriate.

I have others, but they are more suited for UB or other mods.

My personal "Made in Heaven" mod is here: https://github.com/AngelGryph/MadeInHeaven/tree/development

Edited by Angel

Not sure it's the scope of the mod, but...

SoD: make final ending independent on whether the PC defended him/herself verbally in the trial.

- Including "Petrified Imoen" into Tweaks - good idea or not so?

I like both of these ideas, but Tweaks probably isn't the natural home for them.

BG1/BG2 - Give winter wolves their proper P&P ice breath. (Icewind Dale already has this correct.)

BG1/BG2 - Give mustard jellies their proper P&P vapor cloud.(Icewind Dale already has this correct.)

BG1 - Tone down the unrealistically large number of Large Shields +1 for sale in several shops. (Several shops have stacks of five or more.)

IWD1 - Make Potions of Extra Healing work like in BG2 (27 HP in BG2, 16 HP in IWD1)

BG1/BG2 - Give paladins a Smite Evil as in IWD: Heart of Winter, and 3.5E rules. (Smite Undead for the Undead Hunter as it seems more fitting.)

Similarly, I'm not sure Tweaks is the natural home for these either.

An extra option for wearing protection items together: Allow protection items to be combined with magical armor but not with each other. (I think Item Revisions also has something like this.)

Force fighter/druids to follow strict druid item restrictions. (No iron plate mail and shields.)

BG2 - Level-locked spell scrolls: Restrict the scrolls wizards and priests can use by level. No 7th level wizard casting Chain Lightning from scrolls. (Does not work in BG1/IWD1.)

Allow wizards to use bucklers, and thieves to use small shields (house rule of a GM friend of mine).

Extended HP rolls - allow characters to roll for HP up to level 20 instead of level 9, as in 3.5E rules.

Non-bouncing Lightning Bolts - Change the Lightning Bolt projectile so it doesn't crazily bounce off of the scenery and kill the caster.

No "Resist Fire/Cold" icon. The Resist Fire/Cold icon is hard to distinguish from the Protection of Fire icon. Change items and spells to only use Protection from Fire and Protection from Ice icons as appropriate.

Sure.

Alternative druid XP table - Give druids their normal XP table, minus the ridiculous speed bump that keeps them stuck at level 14 while the rest of the party gathers epic levels.

Tweaks already has a variant where druids get the same level progression as clerics. I'm not sure another slightly different variant adds much.

Sure

Sure sure... is it even possible in the BG2:ToB ? As the level cap is there forced(, in the nonEE games). As it just happens to coexist with the fact that the chars get no benefit from their CON after the "random HP level" cap is reached.

Also the BGT has a HP check that sometimes screws the HPs badly at level 1. Meaning that if for some reason the char should have 20 HPs, they will revert to having x<15 HPs.

Similarly, I'm not sure Tweaks is the natural home for these either.

Fair enough. I wasn't sure they were either, but I can't think of another place to put them. Except for my personal mod that probably nobody else will ever install. :-)

Sure.

Like I said, feel free to grab my code for them if you want.

Tweaks already has a variant where druids get the same level progression as clerics. I'm not sure another slightly different variant adds much.

True, but I like the unique feel of the druid XP table, it would be nice to have the option. But if not, oh well, I can still use my own. :-)

By the way, the option to alter druids will currently be skipped entirely on vanilla BG1 and IWD1. I guess it doesn't matter much there for BG1 as druids are unlikely to even get to level 14 without extensive modding, but for IWD1 it is a bummer. :-(

Sure

Sure sure... is it even possible in the BG2:ToB ? As the level cap is there forced(, in the nonEE games). As it just happens to coexist with the fact that the chars get no benefit from their CON after the "random HP level" cap is reached.

Also the BGT has a HP check that sometimes screws the HPs badly at level 1. Meaning that if for some reason the char should have 20 HPs, they will revert to having x<15 HPs.

I have not done any major testing, but the basic concept, which is extending the existing HPxxx.2da tables up to level 20, does seem to work (at least with ToBEx, I haven't tested without). I even wrote it in such a way that it plays nice with the existing options for altering the HP tables in cdtweaks. (Basically I copy the level 8 line for even levels and the level 9 line for odd ones.)

You may be right about the engine quirks and if that is so there's not much I can do about it, I'm unfortunately not an assemby hacker. (Yet...)

As for BGT, I have "take a look at it and see if I can do some maintenance" on my to-do list somewhere, I'll make a note about this check.

Edited by Angel

change the adverse effect of durlag's goblet to something characters are less ordinarily immune to, while preserving the thematic combo of durlag's goblet and kiel's helmet by making the helmet provide an immunity to that effect instead of the ordinary immunity to fear

*and/or*
make it impossible to recharge the durlag's goblet (perhaps make it 1xday or make merchants refuse to buy it, perhaps along with other cursed items)
*or, failing all else*
make the durlag's goblet much more expensive, so recharging becomes relatively uneconomical (more relevant for SoD, because of the money situation there)
reasons: content changes since the original TotSC create a new context for the use of this item which makes it drastically more powerful and convenient than it was designed to be
edit: also, i think that kiel's helmet shouldn't provide a working immunity to the durlag's goblet fear curse (it's supposed to trick you to believe you're immune) and that it didn't in the original edition, but this nuance was lost in the subsequent generations of the game; i'd have to check on this though
Edited by bob_veng

Seing Ardanis at the announcement topic reminded me of his Trap Detection mod.

If i understood the situation correctly, it was going to be included in Demi's Kit Revisions mod but i think KR has stalled.

If he is ok with it of course, wouldn't it be a nice tweak to have in the anthology ?

The premise of the mod is that trap mechanics are crap in BG2. In other RPGs, thieves can always detect traps even when hidden (in some implementations they walk at half speed when detecting traps). In BG2, you can either walk hidden to scout ahead looking for enemies with the danger of triggering a trap, or detect traps and being seen by enemies. The only way to perform both is find traps while being invisible by a potion (or a cleric cast sanctuary on you).

That's a very nice idea. I would limit it to thieves (and I guess monks, although I've never understood monk trap detection, or cared about the monk class) and have it fire every 4-6 second ds, not every 2-3... a dumb group of adventurers should still be able to rush down a hallway and set off traps.

But yeah this would make a great addition.

Edited by subtledoctor

That's a very nice idea. I would limit it to thieves ...

Isn't it enough that only thieves can remove the traps ... as the others don't get the GUI option to have that talent even if they cast spells to see the traps. Yeah, one could cast spells to make summons and so forth, but that's not the same thing even remotely.

I have made some tweaks/corrections in my bwp game, but i'm not sure it proper enough for tweaks.

1. Change almost every door to prevent NPCs pass through, to make sure no panic/enemy go out and course any unexpected situation, e.g. the House Jae'llat.

2. Stop ALL romance at the beginning. After play through for almost 20 years, some one like me may think that's really boring.

Or tweak(shorten) the timer, especially some use real time. If some one want to keep the romance but want to just finish it asap.

3. Alter buy/sell percentage of shops, and stealable or not.

Edited by c4_angel