Discussion: Multiple BG2 Installations

Is this topic still active/useful? I'm evidently making some kind of idiot mistake, because even after choosing the directories, "Go" and the options are still invalid u.u; Help?

(Yes, I know I'm about eight years late to this whole modding thing. I don't care. Solaufein and Kelsey are inspiring, damnit.)

Guest TJHoenecke
Is this topic still active/useful? I'm evidently making some kind of idiot mistake, because even after choosing the directories, "Go" and the options are still invalid u.u; Help?

(Yes, I know I'm about eight years late to this whole modding thing. I don't care. Solaufein and Kelsey are inspiring, damnit.)

If you have the hard drive space, is it possible to just install the game multiple times, just giving each install a different directory name ("vanilla," "weidu," "non-weidu," etc.)? I assume all you'd have to do is use remember to alter baldur.ini accordingly and to use bgmain.exe to run the game NOT baldur.exe or the autorun.

If you have the hard drive space, is it possible to just install the game multiple times, just giving each install a different directory name ("vanilla," "weidu," "non-weidu," etc.)? I assume all you'd have to do is use remember to alter baldur.ini accordingly and to use bgmain.exe to run the game NOT baldur.exe or the autorun.
Well, you can copy the whole game directory with copy-paste and then edit the new baldur.ini and use the new BGMain.exe to run it... but you can't just install the game multiple times cause the installer uses Windows InstallShield, well at least the BG2:ToB does, as does the BG1:TotSC.
Guest TJHoenecke
Well, you can copy the whole game directory with copy-paste and then edit the new baldur.ini and use the new BGMain.exe to run it... but you can't just install the game multiple times cause the installer uses Windows InstallShield, well at least the BG2:ToB does, as does the BG1:TotSC.

So, does that mean I can do a full install, then copy it, rename it, paste it in, and then it will still work, as long as I use the copied/pasted BGMain.exe (after altering the copied/pasted baldur.ini) for the "second install"? I have the hard drive space, so that's not an issue, unless having the copy on a different drive than the original install is a problem (I already have a Vista install and an XP install on the main hard drive).

So, does that mean I can do a full install, then copy it, rename it, paste it in, and then it will still work, as long as I use the copied/pasted BGMain.exe (after altering the copied/pasted baldur.ini) for the "second install"?
Yes. You can actually save about 1.5Gb's if you use the same Alias to the CD2, CD3, CD4 and CD5, on the copy, but I suggest to delete and re-re-direct the [Alias] headers when you have fully modified game, as some mods assume all the files are in the game sub-directories.

-> So you copy the whole game directory, then modify all the [Alias] headers to the current directory, use all the mods and then after they have all been installed, delete the CD2...CD5 folders and re-modify the [Alias] header to point them to the original games directory. Done this a few times, as I had 11 different games once simultaneously... :rolleyes:

I have the hard drive space, so that's not an issue, unless having the copy on a different drive than the original install is a problem (I already have a Vista install and an XP install on the main hard drive).
Just take note that the Vista protects the Program Files sub-directories, so I suggest not to install anything into there, to avoid all the hassle caused by that.
Guest TJHoenecke
-> So you copy the whole game directory, then modify all the [Alias] headers to the current directory, use all the mods and then after they have all been installed, delete the CD2...CD5 folders and re-modify the [Alias] header to point them to the original games directory. Done this a few times, as I had 11 different games once simultaneously... :rolleyes:

Just take note that the Vista protects the Program Files sub-directories, so I suggest not to install anything into there, to avoid all the hassle caused by that.

"Tell 'em about Vista, Raymond."

"Vista...Vista SUCKS. Yeah. Vista BLOWS DOG. Yeah. I'm an excellent modder...."

Guest TJHoenecke

Say would this same thing work with Icewind Dale?

And Icewind Dale 2 as well...?

Guest TJHoenecke
Say would this same thing work with Icewind Dale?

And Icewind Dale 2 as well...?

Just tried it with ID1; whereas BG1 and BG2 have BGmain.exe as well as baldur.exe, ID1 only has the equivalent of the baldur.exe -- which may be the reason why my computer reboots every time I try to exit from playing my ID1 clone.... :rolleyes:

Archived