OK, letters sidestory.

One of the things that makes characters interesting is *not* knowing everything up front. With Aran, that is accomplished a few ways - primarily by the use of RandomNum() as a way of making things a little different every time you try the same talk, or at least giving a chance to have that happen. The second way is "backstory", filled out via some dialog, some storytelling (if asked) and through the possibility of being a born thief and rummaging through his stuff. For male PCs, the letter thing is very short, with some fun after three letters. No need for tons of stuff, as it is unlikely a guy would do more than peruse some letters, figure out Aran isn't spying on him, and let it go.

Unfortunately or fortunately, from a storytelling standpoint, I once had a girlfriend who snooped into everything. Natural curiosity combined with a jealous nature combined with low self-image... let's just say, never date proto-sopranos or proto-ballerinas unless you are fully aware of just how far personal lines can be crossed. Luckily, in a story, we don't have to worry about it - if the Heroine™ doesn't 'accidentally' read a letter, someone sends it to her, or (like Downton Abbey) the rumor mill reaches her. With our PC, we can even allow for some roleplay, where she (or he) can play the search any way s/he wants... "I was just cleaning up your stuff. Didn't mean to see it." "So, who is this Elena chick you are writing to? Should I be jealous?' "Who do you think you are, a dirty version of Volo?"

There are a few other implementations dropping into these states, but a2913 summarizes this pretty straightforwardly. Dudes see the general letters, and if a female PC is a persistent little stalker, she can get a view of some of the things Aran is thinking about her "behind the scenes" in the form of letters to his sister.

CODE

IF ~~ a2913

SAY ~[ARAN] (The normal clutter of tools and gear, neatly rolled and folded clothing in oilskins, and the occasional odd trinket catch your eye, but there is little of interest you have not already seen. The scraps of parchment, though, show signs of use.)~

+ ~Global("c-pcletter","LOCALS",0)~ + ~[PC] (You examine his writings.)~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-pcletter","LOCALS",1)~ + c-aranletter1

+ ~Global("c-pcletter","LOCALS",1)~ + ~[PC] (You examine his writings.)~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-pcletter","LOCALS",2)~ + c-aranletter2

+ ~Global("c-pcletter","LOCALS",2)~ + ~[PC] (You examine his writings.)~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-pcletter","LOCALS",3)~ + c-aranletter3

+ ~Gender(Player1,FEMALE) CheckStatGT(Player1,12,INT) Global("c-pcletter","LOCALS",3)~ + ~[PC] (You take advantage of the opportunity to rummage in search of interesting things to read.)~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-pcletter","LOCALS",4)~ + c-aranletter4

+ ~Gender(Player1,FEMALE) CheckStatGT(Player1,12,INT) Global("c-pcletter","LOCALS",4)~ + ~[PC] (You take advantage of the opportunity to rummage in search of interesting things to read.)~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-pcletter","LOCALS",5)~ + c-aranletter5

+ ~Gender(Player1,FEMALE) CheckStatGT(Player1,12,INT) Global("c-pcletter","LOCALS",5)~ + ~[PC] (You take advantage of the opportunity to rummage in search of interesting things to read.)~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-pcletter","LOCALS",6)~ + c-aranletter6

+ ~Gender(Player1,FEMALE) CheckStatGT(Player1,12,INT) Global("c-pcletter","LOCALS",6)~ + ~[PC] (You take advantage of the opportunity to rummage in search of interesting things to read.)~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-pcletter","LOCALS",7)~ + c-aranletter7

+ ~Gender(Player1,FEMALE) CheckStatLT(Player1,13,INT) Global("c-pcletter","LOCALS",3)~ + ~[PC] (You take advantage of the opportunity to rummage in search of interesting things to read.)~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-pcletter","LOCALS",4)~ + c-aranletterblocked

+ ~Gender(Player1,FEMALE) CheckStatLT(Player1,13,INT) Global("c-pcletter","LOCALS",4)~ + ~[PC] (You take advantage of the opportunity to rummage in search of interesting things to read.)~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-pcletter","LOCALS",5)~ + c-aranletterblocked

+ ~Gender(Player1,FEMALE) CheckStatLT(Player1,13,INT) Global("c-pcletter","LOCALS",5)~ + ~[PC] (You take advantage of the opportunity to rummage in search of interesting things to read.)~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-pcletter","LOCALS",6)~ + c-aranletterblocked

+ ~Gender(Player1,FEMALE) CheckStatLT(Player1,13,INT) Global("c-pcletter","LOCALS",6)~ + ~[PC] (You take advantage of the opportunity to rummage in search of interesting things to read.)~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-pcletter","LOCALS",7)~ + c-aranletterblocked

+ ~Gender(Player1,MALE) GlobalGT("c-pcletter","LOCALS",2)~ + ~[PC] (You take advantage of the opportunity to rummage through his pack. There are any number of odd scraps of writing and sketches to shuffle through.)~ + c-aranletterallgone

IF ~Gender(Player1,FEMALE) GlobalGT("c-pcletter","LOCALS",6)~ THEN GOTO c-aranletterallgone

END

IF ~~ c-aranletterallgone

SAY ~[ARAN] (The scraps contain notes and ideas for a story of sorts, but not one that would be given a place at a family gathering. They read...)~

IF ~RandomNum(4,5)~ THEN GOTO c-aranstoryscrap1

IF ~RandomNum(4,4)~ THEN GOTO c-aranstoryscrap2

IF ~RandomNum(4,3)~ THEN GOTO c-aranstoryscrap3

IF ~RandomNum(4,2)~ THEN GOTO c-aranstoryscrap4

IF ~RandomNum(4,1)~ THEN GOTO c-aranstoryscrap5

END

IF ~~ c-aranstoryscrap1

SAY ~[ARAN] 'Deborah sighed gustily as she looked out across the valley. She could not forget the sight of his chest, bronzed and muscular, glistening with sweat as he worked the forge. She knew it was wrong to have such feelings for a commoner of the Dales, but she could not help herself. The blush of wanton desire spread across her cheeks as she imagined him working her, rather than the forge, his hammer rising and falling to the beat of her pulse and the racing of her heart.'~

IF ~~ THEN EXIT

END

IF ~~ c-aranstoryscrap2

SAY ~[ARAN] "No, no!" Deborah's broken pleas slipped from her lips, even as they pressed themselves to him. "I can not! I have never..." His strong hands held her poised above him, ready to go where no man had gone before. His desire was palpable. Note: where no man had gone before? Where no man had explored? To drive into the unknown?~

IF ~~ THEN EXIT

END

IF ~~ c-aranstoryscrap3

SAY ~[ARAN] 'There were no words as Deborah created crafted crufted crinfalled There were no sonunds there were scratch this. Note: look for good descriptors that can translate to Dwarven without taking on the wrong meanings. Pradeep of Westhaven might buy this thing if I can just get the writing open for gnomish and dwarven translation. Second Note: remember that dwarves find beards appealing on both women and men. May have to rewrite. Third note, get a good proofreader before I send anything.'~

IF ~~ THEN EXIT

END

IF ~~ c-aranstoryscrap4

SAY ~[ARAN] 'She flung herself in front of him, begging to be taken, begging to be his. Buck sat stone-faced, unmoving. "Do you think that a commoner has no feelings? I share everything with you, and you sleep with him. My forge may take on many projects, but only one heart commands it. Who's heart commands your forge, Deborah?'~

IF ~~ THEN EXIT

END

IF ~~ c-aranstoryscrap4

SAY ~[ARAN] 'Buck's bronzed form glistened in the lamplight, his dark beard covering everything. Deborah could not help herself. Her eyes dropped lower, lower. Her face burned in the darkness, a beacon in the stone cave. "It is glowing", she whispered. "Aye." he answered.'~

IF ~~ THEN EXIT

END

/* Letter Responses */

IF ~~ c-aranletter1 /* aran letter #1 (everyone, c-alttr8.itm) */

SAY ~[ARAN] (The rough parchment crinkles under your fingertips as you read through the carefully shaped lines of writing...)~

= ~[ARAN] Mae Govannen

Mae govannen. An lema? Amin naa lle nai. I'narr en gothrim glinuva nuin I'anor. Ohtar hanwa edan yesta sii'lle vakha. Amin tengwa Naug, i'lambe tel' Eldalie. Dwarven, Elven, and Common Trade Language spoken and written, contracts translated, copywork accepted. Experienced Caravan Guard and Scrivner. Reasonable rates. Inquire at Ten Veils Public House for Whitehand.

Have Sword, Will Travel. No Job Too Small. No Dragons. Experienced Caravan Guard, Scrivner, OutRider, Oarsman. Trade Contracts and Copywork Drawn. Reasonable Rates. Inquire at Public House for Whitehand.~

++ ~[PC] (You carefully slip the letter back where you found it.)~ EXIT

++ ~[PC] (You take the letter.)~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-arlettertake","GLOBAL",1) SetGlobalTimer("c-aranlettertalk","GLOBAL",ONE_DAY)~ EXIT // c-alttr2.itm

++ ~[PC] (You hunt through his writing kit and find his quill, and print 'No Secrets' in Common across the top of his letter. Then you slip the letter back into his pack.)~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-arannosecrets","GLOBAL",1)~ EXIT

END

IF ~~ c-aranletter2 /* aran letter #2 (everyone, c-alttr2.itm) */

SAY ~[ARAN] (The rough parchment crinkles under your fingertips as you read through the carefully shaped lines of writing...)~

= ~[ARAN] My Dearest Elena,

I read your message with great happiness. Congratulations on your being advanced to choice! By the time you read this there will only be a few more months and you will be in your final year of apprenticeship. And Mystra is a good Goddess to serve, I hear. I always thought you would lean towards The Wise One, Oghma, and go with the Estelmer family nobility as benefactors, but you know your own heart. If your calling is to Mystra, then I guess you couldn't do any better than to Eltorchul family. There are some stories about a few of them, but they generally get written about as good people, for nobles and wands. Good but not lockstep; some of them are pretty wild, if trail stories and news broadsides talk about the same family. The Thunderstaffs follow Mystra, but from my end - plenty of warmages from that family, that is for sure! I was pretty sure you wouldn't end up following them, anyways. I am really glad your benefactor was happy, too. I thought it was like a trade apprenticeship, and you would be with The Lady Mage all the way. I guess I didn't understand about the schools, and how you work your way up.

I love the emerald, and I will figure out what you mean about saying the inscriptions in private once we are on the trail. I hope this isn't one of your practical jokes, though. That is too fine a gem just to put a joke on. And the colors were beautiful. It lasted a full thirty seconds before dissolving into smoke, and it was a deep, shiny green with gold and silver and sky blue. Plus, it only erased a little bit of the parchament, so I got to read most of the message. That is so much better than the one where you tried the acid-flowers, and it burned through the whole letter. I know you want to have each message destroy itself, though I do not understand why all mages seem to need such secrecy.

I do have some news. I have started working with a new group. There is not much to say yet, but it is not a regular mercenary group. <CHARNAME>, the one who leads, is different. I will have more to say later, I am sure. In the meantime, keep up your studies, and I will try to send you some of the spell components you asked about as best I can. Judging by the look of things, I may be able to get some very rare components for you just by keeping my eyes open and wits sharp.

Yours Faithfully, Aran~

++ ~[PC] (You take the letter.)~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-arlettertake","GLOBAL",1) SetGlobalTimer("c-aranlettertalk","GLOBAL",ONE_DAY)~ EXIT

++ ~[PC] (You hunt through his writing kit and find his quill, and print 'No Secrets' in Common across the top of his letter. Then you slip the letter back into his pack.)~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-arannosecrets","GLOBAL",1)~ EXIT

END

IF ~~ c-aranletter3 /* aran letter #3 (everyone, c-alttr3.itm) */

I am writing from the trail, so please excuse the occasional blot or crease staining the writing. There is so much to report, but most of it is not to be trusted to letters. When I next see you, remind me to tell you about <PLAYER1>. Things are working out well enough on so far. Well as well as can be expected given our challenges. I have not had as much combat in so short a timeframe since the pitched battles back near Baldur's Gate. Even in the Axes, there were months with no combat, and now it seems to happen every day.

I am glad to hear that your roommate is not making your life easy. I know that sounds unsupportive, and I am sure you don't appreciate it, but from my standpoint it means you are telling me things and not hiding the challenges and problems. You are smart enough to get past this. Just don't do what you did to Kimili when she called you those names. I bet now that you have some real training, it would not be a few curls set on fire... you might accidentally incinerate her head.

I did hear from Nathan the other day, and his letter asked after you. I told him you were away in the Dale lands, rather than the truth. I know you think that he is cute, but I know him. He is not a nice person. I may sound overprotective, but he has done some things you just do not want to know about.

Well, I must close, as I am out of room, and low on supplies. Time to mix up some more ink, too. As always.

Yours Faithfully, Aran~

++ ~[PC] (You take the letter.)~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-arlettertake","GLOBAL",1) SetGlobalTimer("c-aranlettertalk","GLOBAL",ONE_DAY)~ EXIT

END

IF ~~ c-aranletter4 /* aran letter #4 (rom, c-alttr4.itm) */

SAY ~[ARAN] (The rough parchment crinkles under your fingertips as you read through the carefully shaped lines of writing, but it takes awhile to figure out his cipher. He has started using a quaint childlike encoding.)~

I hope that all is well with you. For me, I am sorely in need of your guidance. I know we have written about this several times, but I need to clear my head and think and you are always good at helping me do that. I cannot stop thinking about her. I cannot stop watching her. It has me off balance, even worse than when I fell for that half-elven bard you warned me against. I simply do not understand how I could be pulled so far under her spell in such a short time. I know I am not an apprentice, but I certainly feel like one. I know I wrote to you of my feelings, and I know we joked about the difficulties of falling for one's employer, but now I am serious.

I do not know if you would like her, or not. But do not believe the stories that must be floating around about what we are doing. All I can say is that she has captivated my attention in a way no other woman has. Yes, even more than SilverEyes. I just have difficulties seeing what I can offer her in return. I have no wealth or title, no real prospects, and I do not even know if she truly would have me. But that is how serious my situation seems to have become. For Sune's Blessing and for the love of your brother, help me. I need to know what a woman of power really wants.

Yours faithfully, Aran~

END

IF ~~ c-aranletter5 /* aran letter #5 (rom, c-alttr5.itm) */

SAY ~[ARAN] (The rough parchment crinkles under your fingertips as you read through the carefully shaped lines of writing, but it takes awhile to figure out his cipher. He has started using a quaint childlike encoding.)~

I hope that all is well with you, and with your pet lizard (yes, I know he is a pseudodragon, but someone has to put her in her place!). I am happy your work in runescribing is coming along, but please remember about spell duration. Half of your last message burned through your last three letters to me, and nearly turned my pack into a bonfire. I know you prefer secrecy, but surely I can keep one or two of your missives?

There are many things going on right now, and I am not at liberty to write much about them. Our goals are being met, though the victories seem very costly. Perhaps it is more that I have made a stronger commitment to this quest than I have before. Your advice was appreciated. I am happy you see me that way, but I am pretty sure that you did not really mean "just kiss her and keep kissing her until she either kills you or professes her love". I understand what you are saying about power being of many kinds, and that sometimes just being yourself is what she might need. I do not know the best way to proceed right now, but I will take your advice under advisement and continue as best I can.

In the meantime, I will be enclosing a small packet of wildspeare flowers for your component pouch when I get a chance to send this. I hope that it helps your studies. Please try not to turn Jill into a flowerpot again. I know that the polymorph spell usually results in squirrels, berrygobblers, or chipmunks rather than inanimate objects, so study hard and next time it might go better.

Yours faithfully, Aran.~

END

IF ~~ c-aranletter6 /* aran letter #6 (rom, c-alttr6.itm) */

Congratulations on winning your competition! I had no idea that things were so competitive at the academy, and I am very glad that the Priests of Ilmater were there when that boy got caught in the fireball. I am so happy you won, and you even gave me ideas for a new set of tactics to use. I doubt I will often be able to spread oil or grease before a battle, but the use of multiple layers of magic is not something I have studied very much. The way things are going around here, we may need all the tactical advantages I can come up with.

As for your enquiries, she is holding her own against the power of her blood. I do not have any real answers for you as to whether she sees me as someone who she could be with forever, or just someone she can use temporarily. I hear her words, and I see her responses, but I often am not quite sure where she really is coming from. She may be shouting her truth at me all the time, for all I know, but I am simply not sure if I am hearing reality or something I have constructed all in my head. You know as well as I do that I have done that before, and the results have been less than positive.

There will be time enough to write more later. I will be enclosing a few odds and ends gleaned from our last few combats, but I am unsure as to how to stop them from breaking when transported to you. If the letter you are holding is a bright black on one corner, then I would seek out the Priests for healing immediately. I am never sure why you want me to send you these things, as my training has been in writing, not herbalism, but you know that I would do anything for you.

Yours faithfully, Aran~

END

IF ~~ c-aranletter7 /* aran letter #7 (rom, c-alttr7.itm) */

I hope my letter finds you in good health and spirits. I will get straight to the point and remind you that you are too special and to smart to fall into any traps. Be careful. I do not know anything about Court and have never really seen a Masked Lord or even an un-masked one, but I have been around long enough to be suspicious of anyone who makes bold passes at you. I wish I were there, so that he would know that you have a protector. I know you can take care of yourself, but it still worries me. If you need proof, remember how I have acted around Giselle and Rani, and how you had to send a spark at me to stop me from behaving badly with your friends.

Yes, I know I have a double standard, but I have always been very interested in all of this romantic sparking, while you have avoided it like the plague. And our situations are not as similar as you made it sound. <CHARNAME> is more complicated than what we are talking about. If it were just for fun, that would be one thing, but I seem to have developed some attachments that make things more painful for me if I do things that she might not like. I always try to fit what she seems to want, but it is hard sometimes. In fact, it seems almost impossible at times. But I trust in Tymora, and She will make the coin toss. What is meant to be, is meant to be. In your case, though, your benefactor might not take kindly to that particular young man. Do not take this the wrong way, but you have to ask yourself if he is really interested in you, or if he wants information.

I trust you to make the right choice for you, of course. I would send for you to join us for a little bit, so you could get away and think, but I am afraid things here have gotten very difficult. Our adversaries are the stiff of legends and folktales, only they turn out to be real. Usually, they also turn out to be able to crush me into goo. No matter what is going on there, things are worse here. Do not worry for me, though. I have always had an eye out for trouble, and I think I enjoy feeling part of something that will make a difference.

Yours faithfully, Aran~

END

IF ~~ c-aranletterblocked

= ~[ARAN] (Unfortunately, Aran has begun writing in a language or cipher you cannot understand. You will have to ask him to read the letter to you.)~

++ ~[PC] (You carefully slip the letter back where you found it.)~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranletterblocked","LOCALS",1)~ EXIT

++ ~[PC] (You take the letter.)~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-arlettertake","GLOBAL",1) SetGlobalTimer("c-arlettertake","GLOBAL",ONE_DAY)~ EXIT

END

/* add bcs block to trigger, Global("c-arannosecrets","GLOBAL",1) */

IF ~Global("c-arannosecrets","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN BEGIN a2908

SAY ~[ARAN] Hey, there, I got a question for you. Do you mind if I rummage about in your undergarments a bit, an' poke through your stuff? Mayhap I can ink up some o' your gear, random like?~ [c-aws107]

++ ~[PC] I meant no harm. You scribble and scrawl all the time, and I was just curious. I want to know what is going on.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-arannosecrets","GLOBAL",2)~ + a2909

++ ~[PC] I want to know if any member of this party is discussing anything with the outside world. Even little things.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-arannosecrets","GLOBAL",2)~ + a2909

++ ~[PC] Don't keep any secrets from me. I will not be happy if you hide anything, anything at all.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-arannosecrets","GLOBAL",2)~ + a2909

++ ~[PC] Well, perhaps I went a little overboard. But I don't like to be kept in the dark, and it seems like you are writing things I should know about.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-arannosecrets","GLOBAL",2)~ + a2909

++ ~[PC] I hold the coin for the party. I want to know how you are using it, and to what purpose.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-arannosecrets","GLOBAL",2)~ + a2909

END

IF ~~ a2909

SAY ~[ARAN] Right, then. I blighted well thought a letter to my sister were naught buy my own business. You want somethin' translated, I'll do it. I don't give a rat's arse if you want to poke an' pry, but th' inference be that you don't trust me. Lovitar's Lash, that hurts a lad.~

IF ~~ THEN EXIT

END

/* add bcs block to trigger, ("c-arlettertake","GLOBAL",1) */

IF ~Global("c-arlettertake","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN BEGIN a2910

SAY ~[ARAN] Hey, there, I got a question for you. Do you know who has been messin' about in my pack, smudgin' up my writin' space?~ [c-aws108]

++ ~[PC] Yes, I do. I did. What are these letters you keep writing all about?~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranlettertaken","GLOBAL",2)~ EXIT

++ ~[PC] No, I don't.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranlettertaken","GLOBAL",2)~ EXIT

++ ~[PC] You must be mistaken. I did not leave a single smudge or telltale sign of my browsing.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranlettertaken","GLOBAL",2)~ + a2909

++ ~[PC] Search me.~ DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranlettertaken","GLOBAL",2)~ + a2911

END

IF ~~ a2911

SAY ~[ARAN] I would, but other than rufflin' my feathers, there be no real harm done. There be precious little what be private in a group like this. If you want to know what I be writin' to my sister, you don't have to poke about. You could just ask, eh?~

IF ~~ THEN EXIT

END

Note to anyone looking for a good editor - jEdit rocks. Very configurable, free, and even I can manage lots of project files cross-platform. Serious editor for serious folks... I am barely touching its possibilities.

Follow up:

/* 
* from PID toggle; 
*   + ~Global("c-aranletterblocked","GLOBAL",1)~ + ~[PC] Aran... I found a letter in your pack. I can't read it. Will you read it to me?~ + a3239				
*/
IF ~~ a3239
 SAY ~[ARAN] You did what?~
 + ~RandomNum(3,3)~ + ~[PC] I went through your private things. I know it was wrong, but I was very curious. I found a letter I can't read. Will you tell me about it?~ + a3230  
 + ~RandomNum(3,2)~ + ~[PC] I went through your private things. I know it was wrong, but I was very curious. I found a letter I can't read. Will you tell me about it?~ + a3231
 + ~RandomNum(3,1)~ + ~[PC] I went through your private things. I know it was wrong, but I was very curious. I found a letter I can't read. Will you tell me about it?~ + a3232
 + ~RandomNum(4,4)~ + ~[PC] Hey. I don't trust anyone right now, not even you. I want to make sure our enemies are not getting inside information. What is in the letter?~ + a3233
 + ~RandomNum(4,3)~ + ~[PC] Hey. I don't trust anyone right now, not even you. I want to make sure our enemies are not getting inside information. What is in the letter?~ + a3234
 + ~RandomNum(4,2)~ + ~[PC] Hey. I don't trust anyone right now, not even you. I want to make sure our enemies are not getting inside information. What is in the letter?~ + a3235
 + ~RandomNum(4,1)~ + ~[PC] Hey. I don't trust anyone right now, not even you. I want to make sure our enemies are not getting inside information. What is in the letter?~ + a3236
 + ~RandomNum(5,5)~ + ~[PC] Never mind. I was joking with you. But what do you scribble about so assiduously every chance you get?~ + a3237
 + ~RandomNum(5,4)~ + ~[PC] Never mind. I was joking with you. But what do you scribble about so assiduously every chance you get?~ + a3238
 + ~RandomNum(5,3)~ + ~[PC] Never mind. I was joking with you. But what do you scribble about so assiduously every chance you get?~ + a3239
 + ~RandomNum(5,2)~ + ~[PC] Never mind. I was joking with you. But what do you scribble about so assiduously every chance you get?~ + a3235
 + ~RandomNum(5,1)~ + ~[PC] Never mind. I was joking with you. But what do you scribble about so assiduously every chance you get?~ + a3236
 + ~Gender(Player1,FEMALE) !Global("c-aranrom","GLOBAL",1) !Global("c-aranrom","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] I was worried you were writing to someone else, some other woman.~ + a3240
 + ~Gender(Player1,FEMALE) OR(2) Global("c-aranrom","GLOBAL",1) Global("c-aranrom","GLOBAL",2)~ + ~[PC] Look, I... I am sorry. I just... I can't believe you actually like me. I just assumed it was another woman.~ + a3241
 + ~Gender(Player1,MALE)~ + ~[PC] I figured you might be writing some woman love notes, and I want to make sure that you aren't passing on information about what we are doing.~ + a3242  /* backup for misset globals, if it happens */	  
 + ~RandomNum(3,3)~ + ~[PC] Forget I said anything.~ + a3243
 + ~RandomNum(3,2)~ + ~[PC] Forget I said anything.~ + a3244
 + ~RandomNum(3,1)~ + ~[PC] Forget I said anything.~ + a3245
END 

IF ~~ a3230  SAY ~[ARAN] No.~ IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranletterblocked","GLOBAL",0)~ EXIT END 
IF ~~ a3231  SAY ~[ARAN] It be a private letter between me an' my sister. Eyes off, hands, off, an' blighted well thoughts off o' it, eh? A lad needs somethin' to call his own.~ IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranletterblocked","GLOBAL",0)~ EXIT END
IF ~~ a3232  SAY ~[ARAN] I'd be rigt unhappy about anyone pokin' in on my private thoughts, even you. Mayhap especially you. i thought you trusted me an' knew I support you. If you want to interrupt a lad writin' his sister, well, go find someone else to treat like dung, eh?~ IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranletterblocked","GLOBAL",0)~ EXIT END
IF ~~ a3233  SAY ~[ARAN] Nothin'. An' leave my gear alone, will you? It be hard enough on th' trail to get a moment to write in peace, an' here you go pokin' in on th' only place I can hold my priivate thoughts.~ IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranletterblocked","GLOBAL",0)~ EXIT END
IF ~~ a3234  SAY ~[ARAN] ~ IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranletterblocked","GLOBAL",0)~ EXIT END
IF ~~ a3235  SAY ~[ARAN] If you have to know, I be.... I be writin' a story. An' mayhap I don't want no pryin' eyes on it. There be naught about you, nohow.~ IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranletterblocked","GLOBAL",0)~ EXIT END
IF ~~ a3236  SAY ~[ARAN] I don't take kindly to you pryin' in on letters to my sister. I'll swear on anythin' you want it be private, an' has no information what could be used against you in no context at all.~ IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranletterblocked","GLOBAL",0)~ EXIT END
IF ~~ a3237  SAY ~[ARAN] They do say curiosity killed th' cat, but in this case, it just pisses off th' sellsword. Mind your own business, eh?~ IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranletterblocked","GLOBAL",0)~ EXIT END
IF ~~ a3238  SAY ~[ARAN] ~ IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranletterblocked","GLOBAL",0)~ EXIT END
IF ~~ a3239  SAY ~[ARAN] This an' that. Nothin' important, but it be private. Mayhap you want your private life all exposed, but me, I don't take right kindly to it.~ IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranletterblocked","GLOBAL",0)~ EXIT END
IF ~~ a3240  SAY ~[ARAN] Well, I'd not be writin' to you, nohow. I can always talk to you. It be letters to my sister, is all. Nothin' about you, an' none o' your concern.~ IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranletterblocked","GLOBAL",0)~ EXIT END
IF ~~ a3241  SAY ~[ARAN] It is. But since she be my sister, I'd think you might not object so much. An' no, I won't read it to you. a lad's got to have some mystery, some secrets, eh, if he's to be attractive to a lady.~ IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranletterblocked","GLOBAL",0)~ EXIT END
IF ~~ a3242  SAY ~[ARAN] Letters to my sister. Though that be none o' your blighted business. An' no, I'm not settin' you up wi' her, either romantically, or wi' passin' on sensitive information. Blighted hells, that just be wrong, readin' a lad's private correspondence!~ IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranletterblocked","GLOBAL",0)~ EXIT END
IF ~~ a3243  SAY ~[ARAN] (He says nothing, but studies you through narrowed eyes before grunting and turining away.)~ IF ~~ THEN EXIT END
IF ~~ a3244  SAY ~[ARAN] That will be blighted hard to do.~ IF ~~ THEN EXIT END
IF ~~ a3245  SAY ~[ARAN] Not a blighted chance o' that. Mayhap I need more privacy.~ IF ~~ THEN EXIT END

I once had a girlfriend who snooped into everything. Natural curiosity combined with a jealous nature combined with low self-image... let's just say, never date proto-sopranos or proto-ballerinas unless you are fully aware of just how far personal lines can be crossed.
But for the soprano/ballerina part, I would say we may have dated the same woman... Will try to read through this when I've a bit more time.

Will there be an option for a well-adjusted female PC to get the male series? Since I can't imagine ever snooping through my boyfriend's private stuff. It's a pretty pathetic thing to do. It seems a little unfair missing out on the letters, which I really enjoyed reading through, just because the PC is non-psychotic.

Everyone gets the male series of three if they snoop.

Letter 4, 5, 6, and 7 open up for Female PCs (in romance) with intelligence of 13 or higher (so she can break the simple childish cipher the brother and sister use) if they snoop.

Everyone gets the scraps of him attempting to write a story if they snoop.

I don't know about 4-7 access in other cases... it would be tough. They don't make sense unless the PC is in a romance or fling with Aran. For a non-snoopy PC, hmmm... let me brainstorm.

It might be possible to add a confrontation state, or a fight, or something, where he just flings a bunch of items down (all of these are also items so that i can mess with them if I want in other ways).

Would a sister send her brother's notes to a potential suitor? Not mine.

Hmmm. Have to think on it. The classic is setting it up so he drops the letters or leaves them someplace, and PC discovers it... but non-snoopy ones would not read them. Or he reads as he writes? But then you would have to disable these from the "snoopy" menu, as someone who mixes it up would be "hey, I already saw this letter. Why is he writing these over again?"

Good idea to play with. I just thought of it in "internal consistency" terms, not in the Completionist playthrough terms - and I am a Completionist myself.

One thought: rather than do a lot of this through dialogue (action text) - why not make an actual letter or letters? Give Aran an unremovable "satchel" (like a scroll case) that contains some letters a PC could actually rummage through and read. Now I'm not sure if we could set a variable or something to indicate this has happened (later used in dialogue) but who knows - with TobEx probably anything is possible.

IF ~~ a3230 SAY ~[ARAN] No.~ IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranletterblocked","GLOBAL",0)~ EXIT END

IF ~~ a3231 SAY ~[ARAN] It be a private letter between me an' my sister. Eyes off, hands, off, an' blighted well thoughts off o' it, eh? A lad needs somethin' to call his own.~ IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranletterblocked","GLOBAL",0)~ EXIT END

Extra comma here.
IF ~~ a3232 SAY ~[ARAN] I'd be rigt unhappy about anyone pokin' in on my private thoughts, even you. Mayhap especially you. i thought you trusted me an' knew I support you. If you want to interrupt a lad writin' his sister, well, go find someone else to treat like dung, eh?~ IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranletterblocked","GLOBAL",0)~ EXIT END
The 'I' is lowercased.
Now I'm not sure if we could set a variable or something to indicate this has happened (later used in dialogue)
Items can be talked to - Lilarcor, etc. You'd right-click it, see a general description, and if curious enough - press the conversation button to initiate dialogue.
IF ~~ a3232 SAY ~[ARAN] I'd be rigt unhappy about anyone pokin' in on my private thoughts, even you. Mayhap especially you. i thought you trusted me an' knew I support you. If you want to interrupt a lad writin' his sister, well, go find someone else to treat like dung, eh?~ IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("c-aranletterblocked","GLOBAL",0)~ EXIT END
The 'I' is lowercased.
Also: rigt => right
Items can be talked to - Lilarcor, etc. You'd right-click it, see a general description, and if curious enough - press the conversation button to initiate dialogue.
I guess that'd work, though I was thinking of just having the text in the description like other in-game letters. But the PC could right-click on and read that without picking it up, so I don't think it could be detected by (for example) having the item in the PC's possession (however briefly). What would be cool is if a variable could be set either by opening the satchel (view contents or whatever) or viewing the description of the letter(s).

Also, what would be cool is having the ability to change one item by "combining" it with another (drag and dropping one on the other). So in this case, you could also have a quill pen item, which, if you drag onto the letter, prints your "No Secrets" text on it (or whatever). Just trying to figure out how to avoid overusing/abusing parenthetical dialogue.

Guest GuestZ
SAY ~[ARAN] 'There were no words as Deborah created crafted crufted crinfalled There were no sonunds

Double space after created. No fullstop before There. Sonunds = sounds. I've never heard of crufted nor crinfalled.

Yours Faithfully, Aran

Faithfully with a capital? I'm not sure if that's needed. In some places you haven't used a capital, and in others you have.

I trust you to make the right choice for you, of course.

"For yourself" perhaps?

Also, I believe all the scrivner's need to have an extra e added: scrivener.

:) This one's an intentional joke...

SAY ~[ARAN] 'There were no words as Deborah created crafted crufted crinfalled There were no sonunds

He's writing, and getting things wrong, the way I do - then starts writing notes to himself for when he comes back to it.

That might be something that just doesn't make the international translation - I ould shorten that up by just leaving it as a "note to self".

Normally, I'm not a big fan of parenthetical text, but it might be appropriate here.

crafted crufted crinfalled (dammit, why can't I spell?) etc

There's nothing really wrong with parentheses in a note - it's not like action text in spoken dialogue.

Also "crufted" is a word, but one mainly of computer jargon (meaning hacked together with the suggestion the result may be cruft, i.e. rubbish).

(yes, I know he is a pseudodragon, but someone has to put her in her place!)

I'm guessing it should be "she is a pseudodragon", unless there's something you're not telling us there. :)

How about an option for a nosy chick who just happens to be named Deborah to accuse Aran of trying to write her into the romance novel bits?

Heh! slippery little "s".

nosy chick who just happens to be named Deborah

Now, THAT is a great idea!

It could be wider in context, to make it easier. I need to check if Player1 name checking actually works as it logically should.

Deb

Debb

Debbee

Debbera

Debbey

Debbi

Debbie

Debbra

Debby

Debee

Debera

Deberah

Debi

Debor

Debora

Debra

Debrah

Debralee

Debreanna

Debriana

Debs

Devora

Devorah

Dobra

Or perhpas a blanket set of possibilities, like

+ ~Gender(Player1,FEMALE)~ + ~[PC] Deborah... that character. She seems somehow very, very familliar. You wouldn't perchance be trying to model her on me, now, would you?~

+ ~Gender(Player1,MALE) Gender(Player3,FEMALE)~ + ~[PC] Deborah... that character. She seems somehow very, very familliar. You wouldn't perchance be trying to model her on <PLAYER3>, now, would you?~

Archived