Modding GUI (background colors, text colors, etc..) of BG2:EE via Near Infinity program

frostysh

A Goal of this modification is to save my eyes from destruction until the game is over, because default game GUI is ... just make pain to my eyes (may not only to my eyes..).

After painful installation process of Near Infinity gone I can modify some apprentice of the game.

Is the *.BAM data files contain textures of the game??? Where I can find the backgrounds for text and actually text color?

Where I can find the GUI stuff and the modify it?

I need to create a 'backup' copy of the game?

Thanx for the answers.

---edit---

I downloaded some GUI mod and see what of files modified there so I can realize what files is need to be modified for myself. Suddenly Near Infinity can not open files that I need and says that : ERROR: Corrupted file :cry:

What version of Near Infinity are you using ? Anything made before the v1.36 snapshots is likely to need updates...

v.1.32... Dem me stupid! Thanx.

---edit---

maybe my friend machine gotcha some viruses, but after all it is works and I can modify that stupid GUI! :p

---edit---

I have not found the text colors yet - dialogs, spells and ability description. . Is anybody knows where exactly this stuff is?

Approximately my goal is something like that:

Fonts_before_after_appr.jpg

And a spell description

Fonts_spells.jpg

Where the hell is a file that responsible for Dialogs and Spell description Font Color??? I have found only REALMS.BAM there some kind of fonts. I doubt that this is Dialogue's font...

---edit---

maybe my friend machine gotcha some viruses, but after all it is works and I can modify that stupid GUI! :p

Where the hell is a file that responsible for Dialogs and Spell description Font Color??? I have found only REALMS.BAM there some kind of fonts. I doubt that this is Dialogue's font...

Yey, seems that something happened in the last 10 years to have this fixed. Yep, the v1.32 is TEN years old.

There's at least two files... I don't have access to my BG2 game files right now, but you could try the "normal.bam", "toolfont.bam" or "floattxt.bam" files. I can't say anything sure about them for now.

The Enhanced Editions are using FNT files for fonts. NI can't parse these files as the format is not publically available. I don't know if BAM files are still used at all for fonts.

GUI properties (including text color) are defined in the various CHU files of the game. You can open them in Near Infinity. For example, the mage spell GUI elements can be found in GUIMG.CHU, the priest spell GUI elements can be found in GUIPR.CHU.

{...}

Yey, seems that something happened in the last 10 years to have this fixed. Yep, the v1.32 is TEN years old.

There's at least two files... I don't have access to my BG2 game files right now, but you could try the "normal.bam", "toolfont.bam" or "floattxt.bam" files. I can't say anything sure about them for now.

Thanx, I have found this files but this files has no information about the text apprentices like a text color.

I have found in the file : BGEE.GUI something like that

window{ "SELECT 34, 0, 350, 44;" color {    "SELECT 0xFF320A00;"     text     {     "SELECT 0 AS halign, 2 AS valign, ^name;"     } }}
I think that is meas text color is a not font file option but GUI file option.

The Enhanced Editions are using FNT files for fonts. NI can't parse these files as the format is not publically available. I don't know if BAM files are still used at all for fonts.

GUI properties (including text color) are defined in the various CHU files of the game. You can open them in Near Infinity. For example, the mage spell GUI elements can be found in GUIMG.CHU, the priest spell GUI elements can be found in GUIPR.CHU

Thanx.

Yes, indeed. I have found many GUI*.CHU files. That files contain data about what image {*.MOS} or animation/image {*.BAM} is placed on the defined position on screen , active element like buttons on that image/animation and so on...

I think BAM - Baldur's Animation Module, or something

MOS -??? Message On Screen?

Whatever . The goal of modification is changed - now it is a cosmetic modification of: GUI , an ability descriptions (quick panel), a spells descriptions (quick panel), a spell icons on the quick panel (they are DARK-BLUE on BLACK so horrible also even comparing to WHITE on BLACK text..., this is harm my eyes really).

For now I modifying the Inventory Background - GUIINV.CHU INVENTOR.MOS

I have questions:

• If I will finish the modification of background inventory image, how I can implant my s*!?&t to the game world back again?
  • Maybe my 'modification' will be useful not only for me, How I can make program that can modify the game files automatically?
  • Where exactly is an information of the text colors?
  • The direct files of dialogs background and items and spells/abilities description from 'quick panel' is?

I hope in the process I will not be spoiled of the game story, because I only stared to play in the game BG2:EE.

P.S. I am total noob in 'scripts' and so on...

Modified:

how I can implant my files to the game back again?

Well, you take the files you wish to modify, edit them and export them to a custom sub-folder, as of now, let's call it "FrostyshGUImod/GUI" for example, then you make a new .txt -file into the "FrostyshGUImod" folder, open it with Notepad and copy this start to it:

BACKUP ~FrostyshGUImod/backup~	
AUTHOR ~Frostysh~
VERSION ~v0.1~

BEGIN ~Frostysh GUI mod component zero.~
COPY ~FrostyshGUImod/GUI~ ~override~
Use the "Save As" function in Notepad, and remove the .txt extension, save it as setup-FrostyshGUImod.tp2 file, yes, you remove the .txt extension and replace it with a custom .tp2 at the end of the custom name line. Now then, if you have a moded game, just copy any of the already modified games setup-*modname*.exe files, save it as setup-FrostyshGUImod.exe and then you have all that you kinda need, .exe and the content folder with holds the subfolder and the .tp2 file, package them up as a .zip with any archive tool, upload that to a net and go spread your contagion. :devlook:

This is not by the way scripting, this is just weidu.exe coding line by line.

Well, you take the files you wish to modify, edit them and export them to a custom sub-folder, as of now, let's call it "FrostyshGUImod/GUI" for example, then you make a new .txt -file into the "FrostyshGUImod" folder, open it with Notepad and copy this start to it:

BACKUP ~FrostyshGUImod/backup~	AUTHOR ~Frostysh~VERSION ~v0.1~BEGIN ~Frostysh GUI mod component zero.~COPY ~FrostyshGUImod/GUI~ ~override~
Use the "Save As" function in Notepad, and remove the .txt extension, save it as setup-FrostyshGUImod.tp2 file, yes, you remove the .txt extension and replace it with a custom .tp2 at the end of the custom name line. Now then, if you have a moded game, just copy any of the already modified games setup-*modname*.exe files, save it as setup-FrostyshGUImod.exe and then you have all that you kinda need, .exe and the content folder with holds the subfolder and the .tp2 file, package them up as a .zip with any archive tool, upload that to a net and go spread your contagion. :devlook:

This is not by the way scripting, this is just weidu.exe coding line by line.

Yeah, okey I understand. But just for clarifying .. .

• I am extracting
    *.MOS
    data file like a
    *.PNG
  • then I using that crazy graphic editor - some of them to edit that stuff
  • then I saving my work like a
    *.PNG
    data file
  • then I importing this
    *.PNG
    to the
    *.MOS
    data stuff, but How I can do that O_o, via Near Infinity program???
  • then, after enjoying the them with new stuff, I exporting modified by myself
    *.MOS
    data file like a
    *.MOS
    file.
  • then, after enjoying the them with new stuff, I exporting modified by myself
    *.MOS
    data file like a
    *.MOS
    file.
  • Then I putting that modified
    *.MOS
    file into ...DIRECTORY/GUI and creating
    *.tp2
    plain text file inside the DIRECTORY
  • Inside the
    *.tp2
    I using mentioned above strings with a paths
    .../DIRECTORY/backup
    and .
    ../DIRECTORY/GUI
  • Then I found the SOME_MODE.EXE that made by WEIDU stuff, and renaming it
  • Then I putting it to the same DIRECTORY as *.tp2 file is
  • Then I transforming DIRECTORY to the DIRECTORY.zip or something.
  • The End.
This is should works?

And I am not contagion spreader , good guys do not spread contagion they are using the contagion directly against bad guys. Very bad guys that doing horrible, awful things , like a Baeloth. :p

For the buttons, there is a mod already that might do what you want: http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/1079-recolored-toolbar-buttons-for-bgee-bg2ee/

Yeah but I mentioned not that but this one buttons

Buttons_to_change.jpg

What is good graphic editor can I use for the *.PNG file editing (of course free one.. )? - I am noob in that stuff

Gimp, the free analog to Photoshop.

GIMP looks very difficult for myself. But it seems to be a good program,

I want to play but I need to continue mod building because without it I can not to play ???

Almost inventory plot is ready on 50% , dem good that GIMP have a lot of manuals...

OMG Character Record, Biography, Descriptions (background), icons of spell/abilities is left Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh..... :uu:

P.S.

'Silver Hand' is that the foolish guy that killed his own wife like pathetic medieval king? ('History of chosen of Mistra') :p

More from Irish folklore.

So what exactly saying Irish folklore about it? I just wonder. I am total zero in Irish stuff and want to know little more.

www.Deviantart.com - rulezz ! I have found there so many cool pictures that I will include to the modification :p

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuada_Airgetlám

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fionn_mac_Cumhaill

Make sure you get permission before using stuff you get from DA. Some of it is explicitly okay to use, but others require things like non-commercial use.

A very stupid tradition even for mythology

Having lost his arm, Nuada was no longer eligible for kingship due to the Tuatha Dé tradition that their king must be physically perfect

As I see That Irish folks have a rich mythology and culture, Indeed. And many of modern fantasy things is made with that mythology in the root.

I will scribe in my modification README.txt about what pictures I used but I have doubt that it will be recognizable in the release, because I using only some elements from a pictures but not a whole picture, and I making drastically changes to it. And of course my mod will be not commercial but free ^_^ (I making for myself)

Yes it is , digital right disturb me too. . .

The Inventory plot background is almost done, now I need to modify the Character Record background and spells and biography, and dialogue box.....

All changes will be only cosmetically because I am to lazy to redraw a whole GUI...

Is there anybody know what a file the game using for dialogue box background exactly, and where is a font color options???

Archived