Photo

Wondering which mod I installed overwrote some of the NPCs

13 replies to this topic

#1 MLMII

MLMII
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 08:35 PM

Thank you for your help with this, apparently I managed to either mess up my mod install order or am simply trying to install conflicting mods.  (BG:EE -SoD)

For instance, in the Prolouge Candlekeep should have the following four encounters if I understand correctly. 

A Dirty Guard:  Seems to work perfectly.

Hull Heavy Duty:  Seems to work perfectly.

The Messager:  The priestress doesn't appear to have spawned.

A Childhood Friend:  Alec doesn't seem to have spawned.

The Mods that I have installed (and their order are).

Mod Merge  (Needed to mod SoD)

BG Mini Quests v10 

BG1 Romantic Encounters 1.3

BG1 NPC v22

BG1 NPC Music v6

BG1 Unfinished Biz v14

Chatty Imoen 1.1 

Jaheira Recast 1.1  (SoD)

Multikit Builder 0.27.2

Stratagems v30 (hotfixed)

Tweaks Anthology beta 4

Ding0 Experience Fixer​ v7

In building the mod order I tried to keep to the general rule of;

Quests

NPCs

Kits

Tweaks

If it would be helpful I've attached my current WeiDU.log

Attached Files

#2 jastey

jastey
  • Gibberlings
  • 6819 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:18 PM

Hm, seems the spawns that should happen in Candlekeep main area didn't work. I'll have a look into this. Maybe for SoD, something was changed regarding the area script.

Two things: Would you (just for certainty) post the content of the bg1re-DEGUB file, too?

And, very sorry about this, but please update bgqe (Mini quests) to the current v13. v10 has bugs that lead to party members leaving for good (because I'm an idiot).

#3 MLMII

MLMII
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:43 PM

No, I'm pretty sure it's something I did on my end as in a different install I somehow managed to get lucky and didn't break Romance (although I never could get stratagems to work, installed the tweakpack first, and mostly just installed things in the random order I downloaded them in so I'm sure I broke lots of other things.).   ---  Thanks for the help and I'll be sure to update bgqe. 

Spoiler

#4 jastey

jastey
  • Gibberlings
  • 6819 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 11:00 PM

I checked the mod itself, bgqe, bg1ub and bg1 npc project against the current SoD, but I can't reproduce the problem and don't see a problem (in fact the NPCs in question are patched to the top of the area script, meaning they can't be blocked by another mod unless it adds a faulty script block to the top of the area script, which would make the whole area script dysfuntional). I have no experience with Stratagems and its performance on SoD.

Sorry, but I can't help you with this. Hopefully, a new install will fix it.

#5 MLMII

MLMII
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 11:10 PM

Ok, I think I'm in idiot ... and I most certainly don't pretend to understand how to actually read the debug files, but in "Ding0 Experience Fixer​ v7" I found these lines and I'm wondering if I basically overwrote everything back to original BG with the very last mod I installed.  ...  Or did I completely misunderstand what you just said and that isn't actually possible?  ---  Either way I'll try reloading my mod list one at a time and see where it breaks after downloading a fresh install off of Steam tonight and I'll let you know if I manage to break it again.   Thank you for your time.

Spoiler

#6 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Gibberling Poobah
  • 2341 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:18 AM

If you're using Steam and Windows, make sure that your game directory is not stored inside Program Files (where Steam is installed by default).  Windows likes to get involved and secretly interfere with mod installations there.

You can assign additional folders for storing games in your Steam Settings -> Downloads -> Steam Library Folders.  Then, when you install the game from Steam, you can direct it to install to the safe folder.

#7 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp

• Modders
  • 6121 posts
  • Location:The town where the dead haven't keeled over, yet. In Finland.

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:40 AM

Windows likes to get involved and secretly interfere with mod installations there.

It's not an actual secret that the Windows restricts writing in the Program Files folders, and any file modifying processes print their files to the users own replica of the folder in question. On games now verified to be Windows XP, 7 etc compatible this is not a problem because the games read the files from the users files too, but in BG2, it's not that easy as the game is not verified to be (fully) compatible with an OS feature that was made 10 years after the game was programmed.
Welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand.
Here's how to install all the ... mods you ever really could want to Infinity Engine games. I removed the stable word from there as Roxanne began to add BS mods that are likely to break compatibility from the BWS.

#8 jastey

jastey
  • Gibberlings
  • 6819 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:42 AM

I'm wondering if I basically overwrote everything back to original BG with the very last mod I installed.

The loading of files to the override folder basically only means that WeiDU is preparing them for patching. It's not a sign for any overwriting. All in all, I don't think the Experience Fix mod is responsible for your problems.

#9 MLMII

MLMII
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 01:21 PM

Ah, I didn't realize that, thanks.

Anyways, after reinstalling and testing everything (I did move "multikit builder" to the end of my install order, but that shouldn't have actually mattered.) I think I discovered what was going on although I'm still not sure why.

Alec and the Priestress do seem to spawn properly when you start a new game, but for whatever reason, if you load the first autosave or "Prologue Start"  save files they "despawn"​.  They do seem to stick around if one uses a normal save in order to load though.  ... Since I started reinstalling before Mike mentioned that I should use a nondefault directory I'll uninstall and test to see if Alec and the Priestress still despawn with just the "Mini Quest" and "Romance" installed and report back. 

#10 jastey

jastey
  • Gibberlings
  • 6819 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 07:48 PM

That's weird. I wouldn't know what to do to prevent this, though (it's nothing that could be fixed at this side of the mod). Good luck with the new installation.

#11 AstroBryGuy

AstroBryGuy

Mod Tinker

• Gibberlings
  • 520 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 03:58 AM

Were the saves you are loading made before you installed mods?

#12 jastey

jastey
  • Gibberlings
  • 6819 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 05:38 AM

(AstroBryGuy: the mentioned missing characters from bg1re are created by the (existing) area script, so installing the mod after already being in the area would be no problem. In case this was your thought)

#13 AstroBryGuy

AstroBryGuy

Mod Tinker

• Gibberlings
  • 520 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 04:56 PM

Yeah, that was the thought. Thanks, Jastey.

#14 MLMII

MLMII
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 03:49 PM

The saves were after installing the mod, which is why I don't understand why the two autosaves (Prologue Start & Auto Save) didn't carry them over upon load but the manual saves I made did.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users