Photo

SR v4 Open Beta (last update 25 December 2016)

1135 replies to this topic

#1 Demivrgvs

Demivrgvs

The Laughing Man

• Modders
  • 5548 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:05 PM

As mentioned elsewhere the beta testing has begun.

For those that do not want to beta test but are still interested to know how the build is evolving I'll post here the various change-logs. Note that some of the following changes may not be part of the final release. I'm taking advantage of the closed beta to try some daring or even crazy stuff and then decide.

View on GitHub

Download (Windows)
Download (OS X)
Download (Linux)

Spoiler

Edited by Demivrgvs, 26 December 2016 - 03:28 PM.

#2 Demivrgvs

Demivrgvs

The Laughing Man

• Modders
  • 5548 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:56 AM

Just wanted to say the beta is proceeding well.

V4 - Beta 3 (July 22th 2014)
- tons of small "adjustments" to make the build work fine with BGEE
- Sanctuary duration reduced to 6 rounds
- Armor of Faith grants 10% res against all dmg types, 2 turns duration
- Draw Upon Divine Might capped at +3 STR/DEX/CON at 9th level, no longer causes fatigue
- Grease save against knockdown is made at +2 bonus
- Charm Person save is made at +2 bonus (it was +3 in vanilla)
- Blindness replaced by Fog Cloud (halved line of sight, -4/-8 melee/ranged thac0 penalty)
- Haste fatigue duration reduced from 5 to 3 rounds
- Lightning Bolt dmg dice reverted from d8 to d6, save penalty increased from -2 to -4, projectile speed increased from 20 to 60
- Skull Trap dmg dice reverted from d4 to d6 but capped at 10d6 (SCS did the same to balance its own 3x triggers)
- Dire Charm save is made with no penalty
- Hold Monsters save penalty reverted from -4 to -2
- Phantom Blade no longer deals increased dmg vs. undead
- Spell Shield now grants immunity to dispel effects (only a temporary solution - part of a bigger plan)
- Horrid Wilting save penalty reduced from -6 to -2
- Bigby's Clenched Fist "replaced" by Bigby's Icy Grasp (dmg type changed to cold, small refinements)

#3 Dakk

Dakk
  • Modders
  • 941 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:15 AM

Just wanted to say the beta is proceeding well.

V4 - Beta 3 (July 22th 2014)
- Skull Trap dmg dice reverted from d4 to d6 but capped at 10d6 (SCS did the same to balance its own 3x triggers)

Have you considered changing the trigger range from 15 to 10 (detonation still obviously 20). It makes more sense as a trap, and also slightly better as a trap as more baddies will be lured into range before it goes boom. Now it will damage enemies in the 15-20 range, while it would have a better effective range if it detonated later (i.e. when the first enemy is somewhat closer).

For chucking directly into a fight on top of enemy it makes no difference.

EDIT: Sorry, maybe I should have posted this in feedback or somewhere that doesn't clutter this thread. Feel free to move it. :)

Edited by Dakk, 22 July 2014 - 09:16 AM.

#4 Demivrgvs

Demivrgvs

The Laughing Man

• Modders
  • 5548 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:31 AM

Don't worry, this is probably the right place to discuss the beta instead, I can always use the first post to gather all the change-logs. Btw, all those daring changes and you are only nitpicking a small thing about trap-like spells? :D

Skull Trap

You do have a point, but from my experience a 10 feet AoE is a bit inconsistent. We risk to create a situation where you have to "lead" the intended target directly on top of the trap to make it activate.

#5 Dakk

Dakk
  • Modders
  • 941 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:48 AM

Don't worry, this is probably the right place to discuss the beta instead, I can always use the first post to gather all the change-logs. Btw, all those daring changes and you are only nitpicking a small thing about trap-like spells? :D

Skull Trap

You do have a point, but from my experience a 10 feet AoE is a bit inconsistent. We risk to create a situation where you have to "lead" the intended target directly on top of the trap to make it activate.

Haha, yes! That's how I roll, don't you remember :D I'm totally fine with all changes, or better yet I really like them!

Blindness/Fog Cloud

The only change I'm not sure about is Blindness -> Fog Cloud. Blindness is such a iconic PnP (and Bg1 classic) spell it feels weird to eliminate it.

Skull Trap

Hmm, I suppose you have a point. :)

#6 Demivrgvs

Demivrgvs

The Laughing Man

• Modders
  • 5548 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:50 PM

Blindness/Fog Cloud

The only change I'm not sure about is Blindness -> Fog Cloud. Blindness is such a iconic PnP (and Bg1 classic) spell it feels weird to eliminate it.

Well, that's a daring change indeed. It's not written in stone that Fog Cloud has to replace Blindness in the official release but they perform an almost identical role and the beta was the right occasion to test it. As a completely new spell the AI would not use it, while SCS seems to use Blindness quite often and against warriors, exactly what FC is made for.

Blindness had several "issues" imo:

- it's almost a save or die when used by players against AI, even more so against spellcasters

- good against PC warriors, but completely useless against PC spellcasters

- its main concept (no line of sight) actually do not affect players at all, making it not a Blindness spell but just another "reduce thac0 variant"

- I'm not sure if PnP Blindness is considered "a classic", but it surely isn't a cheap1st level spell there

Fog Cloud tries to "play fair" and even if it's not full blindness it makes players at least experience a glimpse of what the original spell was supposed to make them feel - reduced line of sight.

I admit that I would not mind FC to replace Blindness even on the final release, but it will depend on beta testers feedback, or if we find an even better looking solution. The beauty of having having this beta is that I can try things like this. ;)

Edited by Demivrgvs, 23 July 2014 - 01:40 AM.

#7 Dakk

Dakk
  • Modders
  • 941 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:31 PM

Aye, you make a compelling case. And on the merits I agree with you! FC is way more fair regarding PC vs AI. My main objection is the point you yourself raise in the beginning: SCS (AI) usage.

If Blindness was replaced with FC, with naming intact, then SCS would use FC, correct?

If SCS use FC as it uses Blindness, would it work out?

EDIT: I love the beta :D

Edited by Dakk, 22 July 2014 - 03:31 PM.

#8 kreso

kreso
  • Modders
  • 2535 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:12 PM

If Blindness was replaced with FC, with naming intact, then SCS would use FC, correct?

Yes and yes.

#9 Dakk

Dakk
  • Modders
  • 941 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:33 AM

Yes and yes.

I approve of this message :thumbsup:

#10 Baptor

Baptor
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:31 PM

A BETA is being tested? Does this mean we are close to a EE compatible release?

I would test it for you too if you are willing, I simply can't play BG without SR anymore.

The good news of the gospel is that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures, and he appeared to many witnesses. By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you.
(1 Cor. 15:1-11)

#11 Demivrgvs

Demivrgvs

The Laughing Man

• Modders
  • 5548 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:35 AM

A BETA is being tested? Does this mean we are close to a EE compatible release?

I would test it for you too if you are willing, I simply can't play BG without SR anymore.

Yes and yes. :)

If you are willing to test I'll give you a link to the beta via PM. You may wait until this afternoon though because I will almost surely release a new beta.

#12 Darkersun

Darkersun
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:08 AM

I definitely will start a new workflow for this!

#13 Demivrgvs

Demivrgvs

The Laughing Man

• Modders
  • 5548 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:31 AM

@Baptor and Darkersun, check your PMs on BGEE forums. ;)

I wanted to include way more stuff for the new build but I'm too busy with RL. :( NWN-style Spell Deflection component is the big new entry (will need playtesting indeed) but the other noticeable change is another attempt at handling that damn Spell Immunity spell. As soon as I have time for it I will post more thoughts on this matter.

V4 - Beta 4 (July 24th 2014)
- added a new optional component: "Spell Deflection blocks AoE spells"
- minor text fixes (e.g. typos, erroneous BGEE string references, etc.)
- minor fixes to various spells (e.g. power lvl, duration of some effects, etc.)
- Spell Immunity "replaced" by Wall of Dispel Magic (immunity to dispel, dispel on attackers)
- Spell Shield restored to its classic version (SCS was overriding it anyway)
- Disintegrate automatically destroy a Mordenkainen's Sword
- Wail of the Banshee save penalty changed from -6 to -2
- Larloch's Energy Drain effects on the caster last 5 turns instead of 1
- Black Blade of Disaster school changed to Conjuration (minor "fixes" for BGEE)
- Absolute Immunity grants invulnerability to both physical and magical dmg

Edited by Demivrgvs, 24 July 2014 - 06:33 AM.

#14 ALIENQuake

ALIENQuake
  • Modders
  • 299 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:56 AM

- Disintegrate automatically destroy a Mordenkainen's Sword

- Absolute Immunity grants invulnerability to both physical and magical dmg

Holly crap! Those are my ideas from 10 years ago! Finally as a Mage I will crush my enemies laughing into their face when they want to hit me with their pathetic weapons!

If you wanna make enemies try to change something...

BiG World Setup

Guide/FAQ | Download | Changelog | Twitter

Infinity Engine Game Launcher - tool for fixing *.ini files and registry entries for Infinity Engine games like BG, BG II, IWD, IWD II and Planescape:Torment

#15 Demivrgvs

Demivrgvs

The Laughing Man

• Modders
  • 5548 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:20 AM

I've uploaded a new build.

V4 - Beta 5 (August 1st 2014)
- temporary manual solution for few Detectable Spells related issues (will hopefully be replaced by Arda's code)

- re-arranged sec types (this will hopefully turn useful for a few cool things)
- Cause Wound spells, Slay Living and Harm have been heavily revised (more details online)
- Cause Light Wounds and Cause Moderate Wounds added to cleric spellbook
- Fog Cloud thac0 penalties fixed
- Haste, Improved Haste and Slow now fully cancel each other thanks to a dedicated sec type
- Haste duration set to 1 turn (increased for low levels, decreased for high levels)
- Slow thac0/AC/save vs. breath penalties increased from -1 to -2 (vanilla had -4 thac0/AC)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users