Am I totally screwed?

Guest basc

Hi All,

This isn't really a mod issue but if anyone would know what could be done about it, it would be you people.

I'm playing through BGII and I'm stuck on Brynnlaw. Problem is, before I went to spellhold I killed Desharik. So, after getting the horn for Saemon and heading back to the dock, I get jumped by a pirate squad, and then.... nothing. Saemon never appears.

Is there a spawn code for Desharik, sore some other way to kick-start the story again? Don't have a save game from that far back, so this could really suck.

BTW, I first played the game when it was released, this is my first replay. I'm using many of the G3 mods, including Widescreen (fantastic) and you folks do some great work. Thanks!

I'm not certain, but I don't believe so. Saying anything more could be a spoiler, so the only advice I'll give is to think back to what Saemon said to you to convince you to go with him.

Good luck.

John

I'm not certain, but I don't believe so. Saying anything more could be a spoiler, so the only advice I'll give is to think back to what Saemon said to you to convince you to go with him.

Good luck.

John

I am also having this problem. After speaking with Saemon Havarian in the tavern, I retrieved the sea horn from Cayia's home, went to the docks and was attacked by pirates. Saemon Havarian was nowhere to be found. I tried resting and returning the following night and he still wasn't there. This has never been a problem in the several past games I have played.

There's no doubt in my mind that this bug is caused by the fix pack, since it appears at the top of the 'Fixed Bugs' list in a thread in the 'Pending Fixes' forum. Obviously, it hasn't been fully fixed yet. I have Fixpack v6, the fix pack hotfixes from the forum, the most conservative items from the tweak pack (the bonus merchants, additional alignment fixes, and additional script fixes), and the widescreen mod installed. All of this was applied to SoA+ToB patched to v26498.

Until a hotfix for this is released, my game is ruined, because I refuse to use cheats or skip Sahuagin City.

I also wanted to say I find this rather mystifying. Obviously, there are one or more conditions that cause the game to determine to not spawn Saemon Havarian at the docks. But what could these be? Why are they wrong or not being correctly evaluated?

if (Time() == Night) and (SaemonSpokenToInTavern)
then SpawnCharacterAtPos(Saemon, SaemonDocksPosition)

Would this work instead of what's already in there? (I don't know the game's scripting language but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to translate.)

Please forgive my sarcastic post, above, but I'm truly appalled that a carelessly-written patch which can completely ruin a game found its way into the fix pack. I've been playing my current game for weeks (54 days and 2 hours of in-game time), and may now have to abandon it, which upsets me somewhat.

I kill Desharik all the time before going to Spellhold and I never have had any problem finding Saemon again and getting the pleasure of "meeting" Desharik again. So it must be a bug in your game.

Then let me be plain in my suit: I desire no less than that a fix for this problem be worked, conceived, and dispatched post-haste, stopping and preventing all further occurrence of the strange disappearance-hole,--in the above reports of both myself and Basc circumscribed at length,--and in addition that this fix be both of sound and wholesome craft, resolving broadly the several hidden flaws in the multitude of contrarious scripts, codes and other divers sloppy devices which, though disjointly contrived without due thought for greater scope and broad integrity, are bound, in unsynchronous and brittle construction, to serve for one robust, flawless mechanism, to order and control all of the game's proceedings--I say, fixing all bugs touching this particular fault, as well as any others which, for being baser holes in the game's foundation, threaten to raise still different problems, but by similar ways.

In addition to debugging the broken patch that ruined my game, I would also like to debug the people reading these posts. What are you thinking? Why are you not responding? Is this not a serious issue that demands resolution? I grow impatient!

BTW, I first played the game when it was released, this is my first replay. I'm using many of the G3 mods, including Widescreen (fantastic) and you folks do some great work. Thanks!

There should be a file called WeiDU.log in your BGII directory. Can you paste the contents here? It tells us what you have installed (and in what order). It might also help to know what operating system you're using and if you installed the official Bioware patches (hopefully you did).

If you're using Vista, that might be your problem right there. This is doubly bad if you installed BGII in the program files directory because Vista is really protective of stuff there.

In case you want to try manually spawning Desharik or Saemon, I found these codes:

Desharik:

ppdesh

ppdesh2

EDIT: I think that ppsaem3 is the proper creature.

Saemon:

ppsaem

ppsaem2

ppsaem3

EDIT: you could also try MoveToArea("AR1607"). That will move you to Saemon's ship, and hopefully the script will pick up from there. You could also try these commands.

SetGlobal("AsylumPlot","GLOBAL",200)

MoveToArea("AR1607")

Of course, make a backup save before you do this. Ask if you don't know how to spawn creatures or use these cheats.

In addition to debugging the broken patch that ruined my game, I would also like to debug the people reading these posts. What are you thinking? Why are you not responding? Is this not a serious issue that demands resolution? I grow impatient!

You might have more luck getting answers if you don't look like a spoiled child or make boss-like demands. look it up if you need to.

You can try uninstalling the Beta fixes component and loading an old enough save (ideally, one from before you've talked to Saemon in the Inn and received the quest to grab the Horn), it might help.

Wow, now isn't that another baaad intro to the IE modding world.

the bigg: That link is gourgeous.

Sidge: If this bug is introduced by BGFP, of course it requires fixing. But most modders here are normal persons with a real life, and mine currently prevents me from most modding work. And, you know. Your way of "asking" for help is kind of taking away the last bit of motivation. I , at least, do not feel like spending 3 hours of my sleeping time looking for a fix for someone who kindly offers to "debug" me for not responding in a 1 hours 30 min time span. Posting in the right forum would help, too.-

-jastey

PS: Just to make sure, my "title" is a joke, I am not part of the official fixpackers team, so don't take my answer as theirs.

Something about the OC's reported problem is familiar. I think I bumped into it once, and it didn't have anything to do with the fixpack. I also had failed spawns here and there like Phaere and Elhan, IIRC, and an intermittently hanging cutscene. I was running with a massive installation at the time, probably pushing the limits of my hardware. I was already experiencing some lag.

IIRC, it turned out that I had inadvertantly installed a tweak I shouldn't have installed, based on my weidu.log. I found the solution by doing a forum search on the SHS Mega-Mod Help forum.

If the OP is running on a mega installation, or even just a big installation, this might be a factor.

Without a weidu.log, it's difficult to troubleshoot.

Archived