Jaheira's Harper's Call bug - Instant Death

Rebel_00

Just tried to use Jaheira's Harpers Call and the target immediately died for some reason.

I tested this again after a reload and then killed another party member to check there wasn't a problem with the NPC.

Anomen's regular Raise Dead has worked fine this game.

I'm running Item Revisions and a few other mods. I know that IR adds dexterity penalties to heavy armour but even with a -5 penalty to stats that shouldn't be enough to kill the target (Although it does make me wonder if the stat penalty is the cause of death, especially since no damage is shown).

Is there any fix to this?

I can confirm this error in b16. The problem is the CON penalty, which not only lowers the maximum hit points, but also the current hit points. Since there is only 1 hitpoint after raising the target, the target dies again immediately.

Deleting the CON penalty via NearInfinity worked for me.

I guess this didn't make it into b16, though I'm pretty sure I wrote about this bug and gave a solution before. I don't think it's a problem in non-EE games due to the different way ToBEx games handle constitution penalties/bonuses, but it was solved in SRR by setting the target to full health immediately after reviving, then applying the constitution penalty, then setting health back to 1 with a short delay (unfortunately, you can't just sequence the effects after each other without the delay - it'll still kill them from what I tested).

Edited by Bartimaeus

It's been so long since I used that spell, I didn't even realize it had those stat damage effects. What is the point of that? Clearly the spell is meant to be a clone of Raise dead, given to Jaheira as a special dispensation by the devs. Why differentiate it from Raise Dead at all? (And now we also have the Shaman version of it as well...)

Eh, I vote to simply remove the CON penalty. If stat penalties were applied to all Raise Dead spells, so that the creature so raised was prevented from springing immediately back into melee combat, that would be an interesting SR-worthy change. Even in that case, I would recommend applying it as a max hp limit rather than an outright stat penalty.

But given that Raise Dead and Recall Spirit are both in the game and neither of them has any such penalties, even with SR installed... I don't know why Jaheira should be pooped on is this fashion. Let her just case Raise Dead.

My 2¢.

2 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Any Fix for this in SR  besides switching to SRR?  

Open the spell (SPJA01.spl) in Near Infinity and remove the op177 effect referencing SPJA01C.eff.

Edited by subtledoctor
6 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

Why differentiate it from Raise Dead at all?

Presumably because Jaheira as a druid isn't supposed to have Revive Dead at all, but BioWare wanted her to have it...just at a slight cost to make the "cheat" a little less egregious, I suppose. I ended up being dissatisfied with the previous implementation I mentioned and instead made it so that the caster would suffer a -3 to physical characteristics, which I think works a lot less troublesomely.

Edited by Bartimaeus
On 12/29/2018 at 10:01 AM, Bartimaeus said:

I guess this didn't make it into b16, though I'm pretty sure I wrote about this bug and gave a solution before. I don't think it's a problem in non-EE games due to the different way ToBEx games handle constitution penalties/bonuses, but it was solved in SRR by setting the target to full health immediately after reviving, then applying the constitution penalty, then setting health back to 1 with a short delay (unfortunately, you can't just sequence the effects after each other without the delay - it'll still kill them from what I tested).

BG2FP just gives it a short min HP effect.