Angelo review posted

Cal Jones

Awwww :p Thanks so much! I really appreciate this. In fact, I think I'll "sticky" it and make it, so to speak, a forum fixture.

And yes, a number of things should be changing with v4 (hopefully all for the best...). I wouldn't want to tip my hand, but both these and other quibbles from the distant past may well be addressed :p although

spoiler

regarding one passage, do you mean to say that going by canon, Angelo wasn't actually the one directly responsible for Scar's death? This is news to me, although I believe it. I had no literal basis for assuming he was--and come to think of it, even in my story Fury (the "basis" for much of Angelo's character) it's Semaj who does the deed.

Or, was it something else?

[/]spoiler

In any case, thanks again! I really think this is pretty awesome.

-SV

Yes indeed.

spoiler

In the mod, he says "I killed Scar" which you could take literally, or you could take it to mean he arranged it (which is plausible), so it's not really a big deal.

When you return to Baldur's Gate the second time (in the game), should you go to the Blushing Mermaid you'll encounter a halfling rogue who tells you a story about how Scar died. It's all a bit grim, which is why it stuck with me. He says a pickpocket stole something from Scar who then chased him into a dark alley. The "thief" then turned into a doppelganger and gored Scar through the eyes with its claws (ugh) before slitting his throat and leaving him to bleed in the rain.

If you don't go to the Blushing Mermaid then you will miss this entirely, so it's a minor point, really.

spoiler

Yes indeed.

spoiler

In the mod, he says "I killed Scar" which you could take literally, or you could take it to mean he arranged it (which is plausible), so it's not really a big deal.

When you return to Baldur's Gate the second time (in the game), should you go to the Blushing Mermaid you'll encounter a halfling rogue who tells you a story about how Scar died. It's all a bit grim, which is why it stuck with me. He says a pickpocket stole something from Scar who then chased him into a dark alley. The "thief" then turned into a doppelganger and gored Scar through the eyes with its claws (ugh) before slitting his throat and leaving him to bleed in the rain.

If you don't go to the Blushing Mermaid then you will miss this entirely, so it's a minor point, really.

spoiler

It's coming back to me now!

I must have seen this when I played the game, actually, because the detail of his throat being slit struck with me--and became a part of my new narrative. Now speaking of faulty memories, I can't remember if I included my "full" story in the dialogues; but it should be on these very forums in Merzer's little "bio."

I guess I'll leave it as is, although this is duly noted...

I don't recall much of BG1 to be honest because I had played it again a few months ago after years and I played it for the Xan and Ajantis romance and especially for Gavin. I don't recall those points that you all do but I'm sure you are right.

As for Angelo I am just enjoying the mod romance for what it is. I really like it a LOT and he is loads of fun. He makes me laugh as much as Eddie does at times and his romance is touching. I just reached his "temporary leave" in Saradush and the surprise is soooo sweet and amazing.

I guess I play mainly for the romance and fun and leave the details to all you smarter players out there. Kudos to you all!

I'll be keeping Angelo around for quite some time to come methinks. :p

I already posted at SP but I wanted to let you know that I really like this NPC mod. I think Cal Jones did a great job with the review and it will certainly encourage more BG2 players to give it a try.

I'm awfully pleased to have Angelo in my party, I think you made some really good choices regarding his stats. Many modders get carried away to make their NPCs uber and I prefer a more balanced approach.

So far I'm really enjoying the mod and I hope you'll keep the new versions coming.

Kudos.

I don't recall much of BG1 to be honest because I had played it again a few months ago after years and I played it for the Xan and Ajantis romance and especially for Gavin. I don't recall those points that you all do but I'm sure you are right.

As for Angelo I am just enjoying the mod romance for what it is. I really like it a LOT and he is loads of fun. He makes me laugh as much as Eddie does at times and his romance is touching. I just reached his "temporary leave" in Saradush and the surprise is soooo sweet and amazing.

I guess I play mainly for the romance and fun and leave the details to all you smarter players out there. Kudos to you all!

I'll be keeping Angelo around for quite some time to come methinks. ;)

Aw, thanks! :) It's good to know the romance was a success (at least with some), considering it was originally kind of secondary to the project...

(Incidentally jeez, I sure am chatty. There's something like 600+ posts on this board, but I think I'm personally responsible for nearly half of them)

I already posted at SP but I wanted to let you know that I really like this NPC mod. I think Cal Jones did a great job with the review and it will certainly encourage more BG2 players to give it a try.

I'm awfully pleased to have Angelo in my party, I think you made some really good choices regarding his stats. Many modders get carried away to make their NPCs uber and I prefer a more balanced approach.

So far I'm really enjoying the mod and I hope you'll keep the new versions coming.

Kudos.

This is great to hear, too; honestly it's something I'm vaguely proud of. I thought from the beginning that Angelo's build had the capacity to be vastly overpowered, and made some deliberate choices about his stats and the like.

Anyway, thanks--and also nice avatar, Mugen :D

Well, if my husband carries through on his promise, the voicing concern should be addressed (to some extent - there are a lot of sound files to go through!) for 4, as well as the Imoen issue. (And all other issues raised on the v3 and above bugs thread.)

I remember when I was first beta testing, the talks where Imoen's referred to as your sister definitely came after Spellhold. At some point during the beta processing, the timers were adjusted to speed up the love talks a bit, and that's what caused the issue.

So, 4 will be worth playing, and will likely happen next month. 5 probably won't happen until the fall, but should be worth the wait.

Cal, did you uninstall Angelo with him in the middle of your stack? Sometimes that doesn't always work out all that well. I've uninstalled the second mod in my stack with no issue, and then gone on to have heaps of problems uninstalling something second or third from the bottom. For that reason alone, I always build a fresh install, unless I am uninstalling the very last mod. Some also have good results uninstalling everything in reverse order until they get to the mod they want out, then reinstalling the mods they still want in the same order they were originally in.

Edited by Amaurea

Ah, possibly. I can't remember the order I installed stuff in (apart from Ascension being first). Angelo went on around the same time as Viconia Friendship and SHS IEP banters, and RE was installed later. Maybe I need a clean install, once I'm done with my current game. But yeah, I'll try v.4 when it comes.

I must say it's nice to play a mod where the owners are still interested in it. I've seen a few I would like to play but their authors barely visit their forums to answer questions, and that puts me off.

Yeah, unless you're reinstalling something near the end of your weidu.log, you're probably better off starting over, either with a clean backup or by uninstalling the game, deleting the folder and starting over. I've seen too many weird things to risk anything else. Scrambled strings, mangled scripts, no spawns, infinite spawns, you name it.

I realise I'm a moron. It's because it tried to put it in the default C:\Program Files\Black Isle (etc) folder... and when I installed BG I put the Black Isle folder directly under C:\.

I've done a clean reinstall anyway (using the fast method of backed up files) as I've stuck some more mods on as well, and v3 installed right away no problem. So it's just me having a blonde moment (even though I'm brunette...ahem).