Cleric Kits

CamDawg

The hard part of kit creation is the idea and establishing a fair tradeoff between the advantages and disadvantages. If the IWD2 kits can be converted in a balanced fashion then the hard part is already done--though Del is still priority at this point.

Converting some of the 3ed stuff into BG2 will be... interesting.

/Cam makes sure Bri isn't reading this thread :)

And why worry whether I read it or not?  Heh, if you wish to make Kits, go ahead Camdawg

I know that I take breaks from doing major writing and such for the fact I don't want to burn out or grow bored with what I do, and I just assumed you were the same way

Besides, I would rather have a kit for a follower of the Red Knight

*edited for smiley epidemic*

The hard part of kit creation is the idea and establishing a fair tradeoff between the advantages and disadvantages. If the IWD2 kits can be converted in a balanced fashion then the hard part is already done--though Del is still priority at this point.

Converting some of the 3ed stuff into BG2 will be... interesting.

The hard part is sorting out how to do the Domain Spells. Do we add them as innate abilities? If that was the case, what to do with the times you have an option of domain spell? I suppose we could decide for them and only have one per level. If these are made then the Morninglord of Lathander, Stormlord of Talos and Watcher of Helm should replace the current Cleric of X versions. Although obviously each kit would be an optional component. The good thing about these kits is they give a general spread of alignments available so its no longer a case of Lathander = Good, Helm = Neutral, Talos = Evil.

My only exposure to 3ed was a brief fling with IWD2 before I got bored. What are domain spells and how are they implemented in 3e?

Well this is what I know from playing IWDII: For each level of spells a cleric has their normal X number of spells plus they have 1 extra spell for each level that must be selected from their domain spells for that level. The only way I can see to implement this is special abilities.

Well, this is a bard kit talked about at one moment on the Black Isle Developer Boards, although it might be a bit difficult to implement:

RIDDLEMASTER: This bard uses odd, confusing riddles to infuriate and dazzle opponents. As a riddlemaster gains experience, he or she learns more powerful riddles in the same manner that a traditional bard learns songs.

Advantages:

3rd level: The Infuriating Dilemma: This riddle is so annoying to the target that he or she goes berserk for five rounds. It is useable 3/day.

5th level: King's Logic: The riddlemaster presents a logic puzzle so fascinating that the target is stunned for five rounds. It is useable 3/day.

7th level: Gram's Paradox: Gram's Paradox: All enemy creatures within 20' of the riddlemaster are confused for five rounds. It is useable 1/day.

9th level: Foolproof: The riddlemaster is immune to all confusion, fear, and berserk effects.

11th level: Conundrum: The target of this incredibly difficult riddle is subjected to a Feeblemind spell. It is useable 3/day.

Disadvantages:

All deaf/silenced creatures, elementals, undead, animals, and constructs are immune to the riddlemaster's riddles. Creatures with Intelligence under 5 or over 19 are immune to the riddles as well. All creatures receive a saving throw vs. spell against the effects.

I can't really imagine your final encounter with Jonny going like this:

Jonny: Muahahahaha! I have your soul Charname!  Prepare to die!!!!

Charname: But wait... riddle me this...

Jonny:  WTF?!  Riddle me THIS! (Raise middle finger)

Oh wait maybe I can...

I can't really imagine your final encounter with Jonny going like this:

Jonny: Muahahahaha! I have your soul Charname!  Prepare to die!!!!

Charname: But wait... riddle me this...

Jonny:  WTF?!  Riddle me THIS! (Raise middle finger)

Oh wait maybe I can...

Well, if Jonny is a Riddlemaster / Jester himself, why not? :):D:D

Well this is what I know from playing IWDII: For each level of spells a cleric has their normal X number of spells plus they have 1 extra spell for each level that must be selected from their domain spells for that level.  The only way I can see to implement this is special abilities.

This would be easier than you might realize... give all domain spells as innate abilities upon reaching level x. Casting one of the domain abilities would remove other domain abilities of the same level (preventing the use of both) until resting. Alternatively, add a generic domain spell level X button and use it like Spell Immunity where it creates a little menu of available spells to use. Another question is how to convert the 9 levels of domain spells to the 2ed 7 level system.

For the Riddlemaster, I see a lot of advantages but no disadvantages... unless the riddles are supposed to replace the bard song?

The multiple choice menu idea would work really well!  As for the level 8 and 9 domain spells, you would get them in IWDII when you first get level 8 and 9 spells so in BG2 I think we just approximate when the character would get those level spells (if they existed) based on the current spell level progression in the game.

Archived