Bugs/Issues & Hotfixes for SR V3

Demivrgvs

These items have 0d0+0 damage set in abilities, but damage type is piercing (or slashing for blades) and it seems that when damage type is not 0 (none) - the engine very often (but not 100%) applies 4 physical damage of corresponding type before other effects.
If that's useful, I bet the behavior is caused by the +4 to hit/to damage bonus when the defender is unharmed or have a ranged weapon equipped. That's why the damage is always fixed to 4 (it becomes 0d0+0 +4 bonus, thus always 4).

Spot-on... Gray oozes have ranged attacks (but DW#MELEE script). And when hitting kobolds on the same map, the 4 phys. damage appears, when they have bows equipped, and dissapears, when they start poking with short sword.
Wow, very nice catch kthxbye. This also explain why nishruu/hakeashar deal 4 points of damage to mages sometimes. Thanks to both of you I can now fix these issues. ???

I'm going to do a much more radical work on "touch spells" (making them work as spells cast on hit) but for now the hotfix will only fix the rare issue discovered by Kromgart and kthxbye. Chill Touch, Ghoul Touch, Phantom Blade and Nishruu/Hakeashar attacks won't deal +4 physical damage if the target is wielding a ranged weapon in melee. I know there's a bunch of additional "items" which need this tweak but I'll cover them as soon as I implement the above mentioned tweak.

Just that I was there I've added a small "fix" about Invisible Stalkers. Non-summoned stalkers will now grant 3000 points of experience each.

Other than that the hotfixes update is very simple:

- Ghost Armor: AC is set to 2 instead of improved by 2 points

- Black Blade of Disaster: added the missing "set THAC0 to 0" feature

You may have already said this in one of your prior posts and I apologize if I missed it. ??? I know that with SR v2.9 I needed to do a fresh install to apply the hotfixes, but what about SR v3 and the current hotfixes? I have a no-reload challenge going on.. Should I fix the spells manually with NI or can I use the hotfixes (if that's the case, are these like the old invisible stalker's hotfix that needed to be simply put in the override dir?) ?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my laziness. :p

If you simply put them into override, then I guess their descriptions would be messed up. And if you had SCS1/2 installed on top of SR, you would also need to manually update some spells which share the same name with SR's but have file names beginning with DW# (e.g. dw#0w419.spl for Secret Word).

You can backup all your saves and .ini files and then re-install the whole BWP with updated mods. The old saves should be usable if you the new and old installation have the same modlist. I did this for several times and it worked well. However, I cannot guarantee you this method will always work perfectly...

You may have already said this in one of your prior posts and I apologize if I missed it. :p I know that with SR v2.9 I needed to do a fresh install to apply the hotfixes, but what about SR v3 and the current hotfixes? I have a no-reload challenge going on.. Should I fix the spells manually with NI or can I use the hotfixes (if that's the case, are these like the old invisible stalker's hotfix that needed to be simply put in the override dir?) ?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my laziness. :D

Well, I prefer to simply ask to re-install because it's the only way I can be sure the fixes won't mess up players games. ???

Anyway, if you refer to the last update to locally fix "touch spells" you don't need to re-install, simply put the various .itm files (chillt, ghoult, phanblad, nishruu, and haksu) into the override. Same goes for BBoD fix, copying the blakblad.itm file is fine.

Instead like mercurier says if you need the whole hotfixes than it's much better to re-install because doing it manually for each spell is not as easy as the above mentioned cases.

Using SRv3 (without the hotfixes since my install has quite some time now) skeletons aren't immune to (Greater) Basilisks stone gaze anymore - is it expected?

I'd also set Otiluke's Resilient Sphere as a neutral action instead of making the target go red - it's a great defensive spell but right now it can't be used as it angers the npcs.

Using SRv3 (without the hotfixes since my install has quite some time now) skeletons aren't immune to (Greater) Basilisks stone gaze anymore - is it expected?
Yes, I noticed the same behaviour.
Is that an answer to the question? "Do note what you quote". Or is it just a conformation that:
Yes, I noticed the same behaviour, too.

As for me, the behavior is wrong, as the ability for the Basilisks should only be effective against a living creature, as the skeleton is still a skeleton whether it's made of bone or stone. Of course, if you wish to make it really weird, you'll make the stoneing effect affect the skeleton so it'll have only 1 Hit Point, slow it down, but make it immune to normal weapons...

Undead vs petrification

I don't remember why I removed 'immunity to petrification' from the common features of undead creatures...I'll restore it asap.

Resilient Sphere

I'd also set Otiluke's Resilient Sphere as a neutral action instead of making the target go red - it's a great defensive spell but right now it can't be used as it angers the npcs.
Mmm...interesting, but I'm not sure it can be done in a flawless way. Furthermore are we sure it wouldn't make it exploitable in some way? :blush:

Phase Spider

I remember someone said their phase spiders continued to phase near the party's characters instead of near enemies; I can confirm that behavior with SRv3. I can't find that post right now so I don't know if it's been solved or not.. If it is, I apologize.
Nope, I haven't modded at all the last few weeks sorry, will fix it asap.

P.S Both fixes won't require a re-install, you'll simply need to copy over three files (undtype.itm, and both cre and bcs files for the phase spider).

Resilient Sphere

I think it's already exploitable, since it can target friendly units. You can steal and hold guards with an ORS, for example. Making it so that it won't turn the target red only means that you can save the dukes with it in BG1, or Phaere and Solaufein in BG2. Changing it won't change the exploits one can make using it I think, and RP-wise it makes sense that if you see the dukes or Phaere hurt, you hold them/her in a Sphere to save their lives. Actually, I use it that way much more than on enemies - for example, if one of my characters is near death, or dominated, I usually target him with ORS to let him live and/or not make him do damage on us.

Free Action

This spell works flawlessly if cast before being targeted with slow/hold and similar spells, but if a character is already held it doesn't dispel the condition. Is it expected?

(Actually, I'm ok with it now that I know it works that way. I'm asking because I remember it dispelling the condition on cast on SRv2 or in vanilla BG, can't say which one.)

Resilient Sphere

I think it's already exploitable, since it can target friendly units. You can steal and hold guards with an ORS, for example.
Where's the exploit here? Does the guard remain non-hostile? In this case the exploit would be having the guard blocked with no save (shouldn't happen unless considered ally) and not turn hostile (I hope it does because of a script in case of a theft, with or without casting a ORS on him).

Making it so that it won't turn the target red only means that you can save the dukes with it in BG1, or Phaere and Solaufein in BG2. Changing it won't change the exploits one can make using it I think, and RP-wise it makes sense that if you see the dukes or Phaere hurt, you hold them/her in a Sphere to save their lives. Actually, I use it that way much more than on enemies - for example, if one of my characters is near death, or dominated, I usually target him with ORS to let him live and/or not make him do damage on us.
Yep, these kinds of things is indeed why I modified the spell in the first place. I'm glad someone find the spell useful now.

Let's do this, considering you seem to use it a few times it would be good to have you test the "non hostile" version and see what happens. Are you able to mod the spell yourself or do you want me to do that for you? You'd simply have to remove the 'hostile flag' from the .spl file using NI (under my version of NI the 'hostile' flag is actually named 'breaks invisibility).

Free Action

This spell works flawlessly if cast before being targeted with slow/hold and similar spells, but if a character is already held it doesn't dispel the condition. Is it expected?

(Actually, I'm ok with it now that I know it works that way. I'm asking because I remember it dispelling the condition on cast on SRv2 or in vanilla BG, can't say which one.)

It's intended. Free Action and Chaotic Commands protect the recipient, while the "equivalent" spells to remove ongoin effects there are Remove Paralysis and the new Break Enchantment.

ORS

Well, the exploit in my example is light: right now the guard would go hostile, but wouldn't be able to start the dialog for a whole turn while the other spells would either last only 1 round (Command) or won't work on non-hostile targets (Hold Person and the like). Going back to that area would mean the guard will attack the party. With a neutral ORS instead the guard wouldn't turn hostile, and if the party goes back to that area, the guard will start the dialog as usual. In both cases, the exploit is only that it prevents the dialog part but "prevents" the party to going back there without consequences.

I'll gladly test the change, even if I'm towards the end of BG1 (already defeated Sarevok, but I still have to finish some mods and the whole TotSC part) so I'll have slightly less numerous occasions to use it to save NPCs. Could you please tell me the spell's file name to modify? Searching for the spell's name returns three instances, two of which are named SPWI***.spl

I've looked at one of them but the spell now uses a lot of EFF effects. I'll take another look into it though, I know you're busy. :blush:

Free Action

Good to know, thanks. :D If not already present (I admit I've read the spell's description quite quickly) I'd make it clear in the description. It makes sense as it is now anyway - previously I've never used Remove Paralysis.

Otiluke's Resilient Sphere

Well, the exploit in my example is light: right now the guard would go hostile, but wouldn't be able to start the dialog for a whole turn while the other spells would either last only 1 round (Command) or won't work on non-hostile targets (Hold Person and the like). Going back to that area would mean the guard will attack the party. With a neutral ORS instead the guard wouldn't turn hostile, and if the party goes back to that area, the guard will start the dialog as usual. In both cases, the exploit is only that it prevents the dialog part but "prevents" the party to going back there without consequences.
I'm not too much into it right now, I'll let you and/or other players handle this matter for now. :blush:

I'll gladly test the change, even if I'm towards the end of BG1 (already defeated Sarevok, but I still have to finish some mods and the whole TotSC part) so I'll have slightly less numerous occasions to use it to save NPCs. Could you please tell me the spell's file name to modify? Searching for the spell's name returns three instances, two of which are named SPWI***.spl

I've looked at one of them but the spell now uses a lot of EFF effects. I'll take another look into it though, I know you're busy. :D

Overwriting the old spl file may change the string reference for the description if you don't re-install, that's why I suggested you to handle it yourself. But I'll make it easier for you.

- I'll attach here both spl files (spwi413 and spwi413d), but don't care about former unless you re-install

- open your spwi413.spl with NI and remove the flag 'breaks invisibility/hostile'. Don't care about the EFF files and the headers, you only need to remove one flag from the main spl file.

- put the spwi413d.spl file attached here in the override folder

If you want to re-install, or you simply know how to restore the description in case the string is changed simply put both files attached here.

Archived