Fixed Icewind Dale casting graphics

Galactygon

It seems to me there are no sounds (e.g. you don't hear the swirling globes of magic in the invocation casting graphics, etc.) for the Icewind Dale casting graphics mod.

Although this will increase the download by several megs, I am more than happy to provide you all the sound files that should go into the override (I already have it done), as well as an adjustment here and there (such as the divination graphic being lower, and the invocation graphic recoloured to red).

-Galactygon

Thanks Galc!

At the moment, I would be more inclined to break out IWD Casting Graphics as a mini-mod if we add the sounds. The tweak packs are exceptionally small--the casting graphics are about 50% of them, and the WeiDU exe about 45%--and I think it's a main attraction. If there's enough demand for the sounds, we'll do this. :)

The chanting sounds and the background casting effects sounds are different in IWD. In BG2, they are combined in a single sound file.

Also, the Icewind soundfiles are slightly softer than their BG2 counterparts, since the IWD engine itself plays those sounds at a higher volume.

I have resolved all the above, and it's a simple place-into-override trick right now.

-Galactygon

The chanting sounds and the background casting effects sounds are different in IWD. In BG2, they are combined in a single sound file.

Really? We are talking about files CAS_PM[1-8]F.WAV, CAS_PM[1-8]M.WAV, CAS_PP[1-8]F.WAV and CAS_PP[1-8]M.WAV, right? In my install (IwD: HoW + TotL) they contain both chanting and casting effects.

No, they are CHA_#! (where '#' is either M or F, for gender, while '!' is either M for mage and P for priest). After the #! are 2 numbers.

The PRE_ ! (note that '!' is either M for mage and P for priest) is the background chanting effects. There are 16 such files.

The files you are talking about are leftovers from BG1. They are there in BG2 too as well as IWD2.

Oh, and one more thing I forgot to mention about sounds. A sound playing at the center of the screen in the IWD engine will be louder than the same one at the same volume in the center at the BG2 screen. On the contrary, a sound playing at the edge of the screen in BG2 will play louder than the same one with the same volume at the edge of the IWD screen.

So overall, IWD sounds are designed to be more 'localized' than their BG2 counterparts.

-Galactygon

One more thing I might advise modders to do (for even better quality):

1.) Open up the file named 'SNDCHANN.2da'.

2.) Go to line number 5, with column one having the content 'CASTING'.

3.) Next to the 'CASTING' label, there is a number. It is most likely the value of '75'. Change it to '150'. This will make the casting sounds clearer, hence its now louder.

-Galactygon

Archived