Aklon's Innate Ability

Userunfriendly

A little issue on Aklon's planned innate ability. To represent his long experience in the world, and the training he recieved in his youth, I was planning to give Aklon one of the following abilities:

Identify 1x/ day

or

An improved Lore skill and Lore progression. Equivalent to a mage of Aklon's level

So which version do you prefer? Or is this ability perhaps a little too much for a monk?

I'd prefer the improved Lore ability.  Being able to cast identify doesn't seem to fit the concept behind the ability, and in the long run a high lore ability is a lot more useful than identify/day.

Also, about this ability being overpowered for a monk.  I don't think so.  If you were proposing to give him the lore ability of a bard, then I might be inclined to think so, but you have lots of mages around normally anyways so it works out just fine.

The casting of identify wasn't supposed to be an actual spell, but rather a sort of "Uber-Lore" allowing to correctly identify one object if given sufficient time to study it.

Just an increased Lore ability does however seem less jarring and that's the way I've been starting to lean myself (and hence this thread). I don't know how much work either involves, so I'm not too worried about that for the moment.  :)

Yeah, I think Identify 1/day would be a poor way to represent that, considering it's more likely to be used to identify something as soon as Aklon sees it than something Aklon has had all day to study.

completely useless ability...

you can buy glasses of identify...almost every party has 2 of them...(lim wish spell)

how about...urm....ok, back when i was in highschool...god that was a long time ago...

my judo instructor demonstrated using ki to heal aches and sore muscles using his hands...

this is actually a part of martial arts lore and accepted knowledge in real life...

so something like lay on hands, as per the paladin innate would be much more appropriate...

Monks already get this, don't they? :)

I was also planning to improve that particular ability a bit over time, but wasn't sure how to achieve it.

And, if you can find Aklon's Complete Pharmacopoeia, he'll be able to brew healing potions as well.

completely useless ability...

I don't think "useful" matters nearly as much as "thematically appropriate," myself.

Monks can Lay On Hands on themselves, not on others.

Ah. (can you tell I haven't looked too hard at a monk's abilities yet :) )

Well, there's a spot in the romance which makes having that lay on hands ability work on others "thematically appropriate". :D

Might as well put it in there.

I will bow to Kish on the Lay on Hands thing - never having played a monk.  All I know is what the Perfect Guide says:  a monk gains this ability at 7th level to heal 2 HP per level.  But I think a monk should be able to heal others since I think they have a great amount of herb lore - along the lines of an alchemist.

Ahoy there Rob!  I'm finally able to post.  And yes, i agree with the majority.  Improve Lore skill is a much more useful and practical skill than the Idenify a day skill.  Making an "uber" monk i see eh rob? :)>

Of course! :D

I will bow to Kish on the Lay on Hands thing - never having played a monk.  All I know is what the Perfect Guide says:  a monk gains this ability at 7th level to heal 2 HP per level.  But I think a monk should be able to heal others since I think they have a great amount of herb lore - along the lines of an alchemist.
I'm not sure what a monk's healing ability is supposed to represet, be it herbalistic training or healing by ki. I'll probably add an ability to heal others to Aklon, because he's got both kinds of training. :D

Improved Lore should be OK.

Try not giving him too many special abilities / perks, he's just a monk after all, not a mixture of all classes... :) Lay on Hands for him / his significant other should suffice, how much healing can a party really need once out of Chateau Irenicus? And if 2 regeneration rings + 1 Ioun Stone + Kangaxx's ring + countless healing potions of all sorts are not enough, get another healer (cleric / druid) instead of him!

I'd say to ask yourself before giving him any new ability / item / whatever / not whether it makes sense for him to get it, but does he / the party really need it?

Archived