Offtopic Anvil Discussion

the bigg

You don't see criticism of IA at his main site because it gets deleted, like it happens with some posts reporting various issues - in fact, IA has troubles playing well with other modifications, and the author intentionally gives bad advice on having the mod play well with others, because it should be played as a total conversion.

Also, IA focuses on cheating enemies as much as on smarter AI (E.G. to block the "hit-and-run" cheat, most enemies get regeneration, whereas to block the invisibility cheat most mages and clerics get unlimited True Seeing spells).

@Berelinde: whereas this can't be proven unless I had access to the BWL database (to cross-check IPs), I strongly suspect that the fanbase is at least partially astroturfed. As a semi-proof, you don't see people posting praise this often at no other mod forum.

the bigg: accusations, accusations! I'd say, if you distill the praise by deleting / closing topics that deal with criticism, I guess high level of praise could be reached everywhere.

But I haven't played IA, so I can't say anything on-topic, sorry.

the bigg: accusations, accusations! I'd say, if you distill the praise by deleting / closing topics that deal with criticism, I guess high level of praise could be reached everywhere.

Even if you'd remove all criticism, that wouldn't explain why IA receives many more "AWESOME MOD" posts than any other mod under the sun.

Guest el ggrande

I don't know much about Improved Anvil, but I will say that Refinements is the best mod I've ever played. It's orders of magnitude better than anything else out there--its writing makes other mods look like they were made by second graders, the concept is flawless, and I've never experienced a single bug with it. Well, except for when I installed BG2 Fixpack with it, because that thing's full of tweaks.

Also check out the bigg's Tweak Pack, bigg's Quest Pack, Stivan the Hunter, and Mazzy the Paladin. These are quite possibly the only mods I've seen that are up to the same quality as Refinements.

(Yes, for those who didn't figure it out, this was CamDawg having a bit of fun at bigg's expense. :) )

Well. While "your players aren't real!" certainly isn't the most airtight criticism one could level at IA, I think the thread Sikret has started in response speaks reams about why the mod receives the controversial attention it does. When you're going to claim with any degree of certainty that people are jealous of you and that all other mods are bugged (which Sikret has been happy to do at length time and time again, not just in that thread), I believe that you are on shaky ground. Okay, you've hacked together some conceptually daft golems with laughable resistances and implemented some scripting techniques that I taught you and you argued with me about at the time. If people enjoy your mod, then that's cool, and more power to them, but please stop pretending you're some sort of second coming.

thnx

Guest Valiant unregistered

Normally, I do not answer on G3 forum posts, but this one makes my blood very warm.

IA is one the best mods that came out in last few years. Sikret has worked very hard on it, he spent many hours to solve problems concerning about enemy AI.

But who didn´t? Every mod creator like his own creation, and is really proud of it. Every one is making his mod for you, players, and is very happy, when people like it. This schema can be applied on every modder, no matter which community is his home one.

But I´ve never seen Sikret flaming or blaming another mods the way you guys do on his IA. I have experienced a very same thing when the first version of TOD came out.

Personally I´ve never said anything bad on any of your mods. And I must say, there were many reasons for it, I assure you (bugs, compatibility, and so on...). But what would be the point?

It seems to me that you just like to blame BWL mods, no matter which one. But this type of posts have been here before, and slowly we´re getting use to it. It makes us stronger, drive us forward, instead of keeping us behind.

Archived